Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Pouring Out...

Wow. It's quiet. I'm sipping hot chocolate and writing. What??

It's a rare treasure indeed.  I couldn't decide how to spend my quiet 30 minutes or so...  I could grade papers, get ready for tomorrow, or write...

I chose to write even though it is painful for me right now.  It is painful and slow.  I feel uninspired. I don't talk about it much ~ how hard it is.  But, everyday is a challenge these days.  This stage of life calls for me to be many things for a good many people.  I work from sun up to sun down and give until I am literally, completely, and wholly spent. I crawl into bed so exhausted. Each day I give every ounce of everything He gives me.  Never in my life have I felt this kind of tired.  It is new to me. The laundry must be done, the counters wiped, the dinner for 9 made, the papers graded, the naked bottomed baby chased, the white boards readied for another day.... The list goes on and on.

I don't meant to complain.  But, it has been on my mind a lot lately.  Lord, how long can I continue at this pace with almost never a moment to myself?  Being the introvert that I am, this is such a stretch!

And, as I ask this question, I feel His answer pressing in on my soul. He tells me that He is doing something, working some beautiful things in me, working some ugly things out of me...  He assures me that He sees me on those days when I feel like no sees me.  On the days when I feel like a body being drug from one fire to the next, doing my best to put each one out ~ little hands grabbing my sweater pulling me to the fridge for more milk, older boys asking for a grilled cheese or homemade cookies or a fried egg on toast, math questions, a stopped up toilet again... I'm stumbling through so bewildered and overwhelmed, trying to just. do. the. next. thing.  On those days, He is near, and He assures me that His hands are on me, molding me, stretching me, holding me closely.  He is not far removed.  He is not distant. He is with me here in my chaos.  And, that is beautiful. And, it makes everything worth it.

And, as hard as it is.  I feel Him like never before.  As we puttered through our school day today listening to praise and worship on You tube in the schoolroom, Oceans came on. I couldn't breathe, I cried so hard. I just worshipped right there with Zekey holding my legs and the boys working all around the table.  I just cried and couldn't stop. I looked around the table.  Do they get it?  I know we have been faithful to tell them all about our great God.  They could beat most adults at Bible Trivia. But, do they get it?  Because when you are being stretched and pulled and tugged and worn ragged by the world, Bible trivia won't help you. But, the Holy Spirit of the Living God inside you breathing life, infusing hope, raining grace, and pouring out mercy ~ that will be all they need. Oh, how I pray that they get that!

I'd like to be perfect like... yesterday!  But, I'm not.  Try as I may, I cannot go long without derailing.  He knows.  He keeps assuring me that He is working, and I feel it, so I keep on.  And, if you want to know the truth, that exhausted feeling that I feel at the end of the day....

I LOVE it.  Is there a better way to live than to give all I have? I crawl into bed, pull up my covers up under my chin, and lay there just praying.  My bed has never felt so wonderful as it has the last few years when more has been asked of me than ever before.  I'm thankful. One day when life is quieter, less busy, I will miss going to bed completely spent.  I'll miss the way it felt to pour myself out ~ empty. Only to lay down and let Him refill me for the next day.

Thank You, Jesus.

5 comments:

Tara Lee said...

This beautifully expresses John 12:24: I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to serve me must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.

In denial of self, there is beauty and peace. Thank you for sharing your heart!

Sarah said...

Ah, so beautiful my sweet friend! I love reading your heart here, and I can hear your voice saying it!! I love your perspective; when kids start getting bigger and more independent it does get easier, but then you lose something because you don't have to serve as much anymore. My older three all make their own breakfast and lunch, and Caiden can cook dinner for me if I need it. They do their own laundry and write their own school checklists. Only SG really requires so much from me, and to be honest it was hard to go back into that role after several years! I know that your faithfulness and service is not unseen, and it really will be only a little while before you are out of this stage. I love that you can wring all the good out of it possible, and that no lesson is lost. You always encourage me. Much love to you today!! Let's talk for real soon. xoxo

the preachers gal said...

oh erin. i can so relate. i have been feeling a great deal like you. i understand the need for more strength, more courage, more joy, more of His presence. wondering why God has chosen this path for me, when i am so inadequate, so tired, feeling years beyond my age. but also realizing His love and compassion NEVER fail, as He reassures me that He is changing me, making me better, more like Him. there is so much i could write, but thank you SO MUCH for revealing your inner self to all of us who read your blog, being yourself, not belittling the cost of following Christ, but just making it real for all who see, shining the light of Christ in your struggle!

Tricia said...

Love to see you back on here. Your words are always an encouragement to me.

Abundantly Blessed Mama said...

I haven't checked your blog, or any blog, in so long. I haven't had the time. We have 6 kids and we homeschool. For some reason, I checked my bookmarks and there you were and I'm so glad. I've been feeling alone and so very tired. I needed to read this and I thank you so very much. God bless you and keep you.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved