Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I've got that feeling. . .

Today I have that "it just doesn't get any better than this" feeling. At present I am sitting at my computer with my feet up sipping coffee to the sound of rain on the roof. Does it get better than that? Days like this are a gift from God, and I am not one to take them for granted!! James Christofer is sleeping, and Joshua is playing quietly in his room (trains). So, here I sit soaking in the sound of Alli Rogers on my CD player mixed with the melody of the rain - pure peace for my soul.

Earlier today I took the boys for a walk at the park. I promised them if they let me walk 3 miles that I would let them play for a few minutes afterward - a win-win situation for all involved. As I walked the little path, I was overwhelmed. I love fall. No, I mean it, I really love fall. I love the leaves. There is nothing more beautiful to me. I have always loved fall. I remember (seriously, I do) walking down the street to my friend's house when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I remember listening to the leaves crunch under my feet as I walked, and I thought it was the most wonderful sound in the world. And, today I heard that sweet sound again. As we walked leaves fell like snow on our heads. How perfect is that! And, after our walk I watched my two boys chase eachother around the park. As I sat watching them, I was overwhelmed. Precious little guys playing in a fall wonderland. They tossed leaves on eachother - and me. :-) They made piles of leaves and pine-needles and jumped in them. It is times like this, moments like these, that I wish I could freeze time. I don't want to keep them from growing up, but I would like to be able to come back and visit these moments again one day. Okay, I am getting too sappy, sorry. There is just something about this day rain + fall foliage + coffee + sweet boys + (pregnancy hormones) = one sappy mommy.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

As I was driving back from Branson, MO this weekend and enjoying the beautiful colors of fall, I had to call my youngest son to reminiscence of a moment such as yours.

When he was 5 he had to stay home from school because he was sick. Not real sick, but probably had a slight fever. But by the end of the day he was feeling much better and it was a beautiful fall day. The leaves were falling, the sun appeared and we were tired of being cooped up. So we went outside and raked up a pile of leaves and sat in them. Throwing them at each other and playing.

Just as you speak of, it was one of those moments you wish you could revisit. The innocence of the young, and their playfulness.

Linda said...

I remember those "wish I could freeze them" moments. It really is the simple things in life that are the best.
We don't get "fall" as such here in Texas, but I'm originally from up North - so I remember it well. Once on the way home from school with a bunch of neighborhood kids the little boy who lived in the house behind us was shuffling along in the fallen leaves along the curb in the street. Suddenly he disappeared!! He'd fallen into the sewer!! Fortunately he caught himself before he went all the way in. I have to admit - I thought it was hysterical. Whoops - and gone!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those type of days. I am with you about really really loving Fall.

Anonymous said...

Fall is my very favorite too. It is so easy for me to relish in nature during this season... the leaves fluttering to the ground... there is just something magnificent about it... and the colors amaze me.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I love the new look...or at least I had forgotten what it looked like...

Big Mama said...

I don't blame you for getting sappy, I got a little weepy just reading this.

I agree that there is no better time of year than fall.

Ms. Kathleen said...

I love your new blog look. It is so welcoming and classic looking. I love the scripture as well.

Your "devotion" was wonderful. You are right, there are so many moments that just don't get any better...!

Glad I stopped by!

Michelle said...

I love fall...and I love a warm cuppa with rain falling outside, so YES....it was a very good day!

Sarah said...

You're right--there's NOTHING better than a day rain in the fall! I'm so proud of you for walking; when I was pregnant I think I walked to the fridge quite a bit, but that was pretty much it:)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved