Friday, March 30, 2007

Easter Hope

I received some very bad news yesterday. The news I received is very personal so I can't share, but it rivals Cecilia's cancer in its power to hurt and overwhelm my heart. But, this news has to do with a different kind of cancer. A cancer which originated not on a medical, cellular level, rather a cancer caused by an addiction to sin. Both are devastating to not only the ones directly affected but also to those who love them. And, I love the one who is addicted to sin very much and so my heart hurts deeply for this one and the ones that have been directly affected by the reprecussions of his sin.

I walked around yesterday completely dazed and confused that this could be happening to this person. I was shocked to say the least. All day I teared up at even the minutest little things. I'm sure being 34 weeks pregnant doesn't help with that either. I didn't feel like mustering up the energy to do much of anything, so I was lazy, late, and teary eyed most of the day. We had practice for our Easter Musical last night. If it had not been the final dress rehearsal, I most certainly would have skipped. But, I gathered the boys together and met Erik there. . . 15 minutes late. Erik is the "comfortable in the spotlight" member of our relationship. I balance out the scales by being the epitome of a wallflower. I like to hide myself in the crowd - absolutely no speaking parts, and I sing so soft even the people around me have never actually heard my voice. Every year Erik plays Jesus, and I play the illustrious role of a member of the crowd in Jerusalem.

So, when I got there, I snuck across the dark stage to take my place among the crowd. Then to my surprise, something somewhat unexpected happened as I began to sing. Songs that I have sung for the past 2 months suddenly had words that I heard and understood. The opening song has these words, "And the whole world cries 'Hosanna, God save us,' and the heavens replied and called His name Jesus." And, I couldn't hold back the tears.

As much as I absolutely detest being made aware of how vulnerable we are to sin and how deep, dark, and ugly sin is, it always brings me to the same place. When faced with the news of this sin cancer lurking in the life of one that I love, I saw with sudden clarity once again how very desperately we, weak and frail as we are, are in need of a savior. And, my heart cried out with the music of that opening song, "God save us!" Because, by golly, we need a savior. Save us from ourselves, save us from the sin and evil that is rampant in this world where we live.

We have hope. The world would have us believe that certain things will be devastating to us our entire life. But, Jesus doesn't agree. He says that is a lie, and we can, in fact, have victory. And, so I walked away from Easter Musical practice with a new outlook. We have hope and His name is Jesus. And, I am so thankful.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh dear friend! I am so sorry to hear of your hurt, and you know I'm praying for you. I love how praising Jesus is a balm to the soul--and I'm praying there is much balm for yours, sweet girl.

Donnetta said...

I often think "There but for the grace of God go I". None of us are immune to sin and it's deceit and pain.

What a powerful reminder that yes, indeed, we are in need of a Saviour. Yes, indeed, I am in need of my Saviour!!

Do you hear my Hallelujah and Amen echoing from way over here?

Thank you Jesus for being our Savior... our hope!

Praying you continue to cling to the very Hope of Christ during such a painful time! May you find His presence and peace to rest upon you in a new way!!!

Kelly said...

Thank you for this beautiful reminder that we are so desperately in need of a Savior!

Praying for you in this painful time.

Big Mama said...

I am so sorry that you're hurting, Erin. I pray that God will help you and the others involved in this situation find the hope, peace and comfort that only He can give.

Pam said...

Erin,

Thank you for a wonderful post and perspective.

I came to visit via Sarah and momrn2. I am so glad I did. This won't be my last sojurn to your precious blog.

Praying for you as you struggle with this painful news.

akconklin said...

Hi, I've been visiting your blog and so much enjoying your perspective and your tender heart. Today's post brought me to tears as I have experienced that pain you are feeling now, and I have also had those moments you described while singing.

Glory to God for His redeeming love. Praise Him that none of us is beyond that love! And hallelujah that His love has reached to me!

Thank you for ushering us in to the throne room this morning. It's a humbling place and a uplifting place all at the same time.

-Alesha - www.xanga.com/akconklin

Linda said...

I'm sorry for the hurtful news Erin. I will pray with you. At this very special time of year we are reminded so much of hope. Just when it looks like all is lost - just when it looked like it was all over - there He was. And here He is - with us - offering hope and redemption and deliverance and restoration.
Thank You Lord Jesus for being our very life, our hope and our joy. Thank You that nothing is too difficult for you. Thank You that you specialize in healing the broken places in our lives. We give you praise!!

Edith said...

Erin

So sorry for your hurt. Thank you for being willing to share it and the hope you found at the Easter musical rehearsal. Honestly - I needed to hear that hope as tonight I struggle with seeing it in my life.

edith

www.photogal938.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

What an amazing post! So true, the realization of the seriousness of sin and how devastating it can be, it brings us to our knees, doesn't it?

Very good perspective!

Mrs. C said...

This post brought to the forefront of my mind individuals in my life whom my heart simultaneously loves and aches for.

I am so grateful to know my Saviour. Yes, my redeemer lives!

This Journey of Mine said...

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Recently I read about how God is glorified through our suffering. It is true, through hard times, we can allow Him to be totally glorified. When He is glorified, we are released from deeper pain. You glorified Him just by going and praising and worshipping Him. This cyclical manner of worshipping, praising, praying, listening, glorifying Him, brings us to the point of relief and able to bear the pain and "embrace the cup."
Praying that the Lord will reveal more and deliver your friend from the cancerous sin. There is still hope, through Christ Jesus.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry for your pain...but even more sorry for the pain of the person and their sin and what it does to other people. I pray that he will turn from that sin and seek the Lord's forgiveness.

Kim

Lori said...

I am sorry to read about your broken heart, praying. But it is neat to see you right there right beside Jesus. (((hugs)))


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved