Friday, March 09, 2007

Stuff-Mart a.k.a. Target

We live in a town so small that the height of our shopping experience is Wal-Mart. So, for several weeks I have had a trip planned to the city for me and the boys. We drove an hour and a half for the great privilege of shopping at a Target. It is the little things you know?

Well, let's just say I went a little crazy. . . I began in the Maternity section, then moved to the sleepwear, then to children's clothing, then to houseware, and on and on I went. . . I began with Joshua in the back of one of the carts, but quickly needed more space, so he had to walk. . . Let's just say that I ended the shopping spree pushing one cart full and pulling another cart behind me. Yes, I did. And, this is not like me at all. I am really quite frugal. My father raised me to be very careful with money. I count every penny and pinch them for all they are worth!! So, I'm not sure what came over me when I saw all those pillows and bed linens, vases and boxes. Most of the things I bought were on sale - great deals, but I learned that great deals tend to add up - even if each individual item is only like $10. I was like a crazed woman throwing things in my cart with both hands!!

At times, I felt like people were staring at me. And, I wanted to say, "Look people, I live in a really small town, and I don't get to do this often. And, I am about to have a baby. I really want to be ready, you know, and have all I need before he comes. So, please don't think I have a spending problem. I don't. I promise. And, I assure you I am not in denial. I've just been couped up in my little town too long. And, this is a really great store. And, this is my one chance to shop here before the baby comes. And, we just renovated. And, there is so much we need. Okay, so maybe we don't "need" all this stuff like we "need" water or shelter. But, it will sure help make my house feel like a home again. But, I know homes are made of love and family and not things. But, I am nesting right now - big-time. So, please don't think I have a problem. Because I don't, really, I promise. I don't." But, since that didn't sound too convincing, I just kept my mouth shut and continued shopping, with my head down, determined to finish quickly.

But, the part that I hope I never forget happened somewhere in the middle of my little escapade. The cart was so full that I was stuffing things beside JCT in the front. The pillows in the back were piled higher than little JCT's head, but still I was finding things and stuffing them in every little corner and crevice of the cart. . . Suddenly out of the nowhere, Joshua grabbed the side of the cart as I was attempting to balance yet another pillow on top of my towering, overstuffed cart and said, "Stop! Mommy, you have to stop! You can't keep doing this! You cannot put another thing in this cart! You are going to end up like Madame Blueberry!!!!!"

And, if you don't know the story of Madame Blueberry, you should really watch the movie. It is my all-time favorite Veggie-tales movie. Needless to say, it is about a blueberry that is very blue (unhappy because she does not have enough "stuff.") So, she goes to Stuff-Mart and stuffs many carts full of stuff. Ultimately, she realizes that "stuff" will never make her happy.

I will admit that I felt a smidge of conviction at Joshua's comment. I felt alot more conviction when the lady at the check-out handed me my receipt. . . I walked straight to the car pushing and pulling my carts and children. After changing a diaper and putting the boys in their carseats, I climbed into the driver's seat, took a deep breath, called my husband, and tearfully confessed my sins. Thankfully, I have a husband who is alot like God. His grace and mercy knows no bounds. Erik responded with laughter knowing that this little trip was not my norm. He knows how I hate to spend money. Ahhh, we live and learn. But, I have a feeling we will be making a trip back to the city in the next week or so to return a few things. . .

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I do know Madame Blueberry.

I understand. I don't live in a small town but I don't live that close to some of the stores I like. It's the same way for me. SO WHAT if I buy 10 boxes of my sons favorite Organic (less sugar) cookies. I can't get them anywhere else!!

Mrs. C said...

Out of the mouths of babes! I love VeggieTales movies too.

I cannot fathom how you navigated two full carts with two kids through the parking lot!?!

Tonya said...

That is the funniest thing I've heard all week, maybe month. Oh to be convicted by our children! I laughed out loud when I read that. Bless your heart. I can so relate on the Target thing though. We only have two anywhere near us and they are almost an hour away from home. Not quite so far away from where I work but still not too close. BUT, we are getting one about 20 min away from my house. Is there a 12 step program for a Target addiction? I'm gonna need it!

Big Mama said...

A trip to Target is guaranteed to make me lose all my good, common sense every single time. It's just so much good stuff all under one roof, it's hard to not become Madame Blueberry.

Thanks for the laugh.

AlabamaBrands said...

So very funny!

Kathy said...

Dear Madam Blueberry,

Don't be too hard on yourself, as you said you are nesting. And you were not living in your nest all that long ago, you certainly want to claim it as yours again.
Just blame it on the hormones while you still can.

Jill said...

I think some friends and I had a very similar conversation about Target just this morning at bible study. We talked about how it is like our home away from home and we see things there and think we need them, then realize we don't need it all to be happy.
What a great reminder about Madame Blueberry. I needed that. Nothing like a little veggie sermon.

Linda said...

I happen to be a huge Madame Blueberry fan. She is probably my favorite Veggie tale character. I love that story....ahem. The point I would like to make is - we all do that every once in a while. We used to live in a tiny town too. One traffic light. Same scenario-one store. So when the sales were on in the big city - watch out boy - cause here we come!! I understand. No apologies necessary. And I'm sure it is all stuff you really do need.
Fun post Erin.

Deidre said...

Dear Madame Blueberry (errr..I mean, Erin,

Do not feel bad about your trip to Target. I am convinced they spray 'buy me' perfumes in the entrances of every store. Or, at least this is what I've told my Eric. I can't get out of that place without at least spending $50. I make that my goal each time, but I never accomplish it. I love it!

I'd say it's getting close to baby time for you.

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Target is so good at making everything look so darn pretty - the way they color coordiate the "stuff" on the shelves. And don't even get me started on their $1 section! Boy, can a bunch of $1's add up fast!

AW said...

This is too funny! Thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

Kate said...

I hear ya, sister! My kids LOVE Veggie Tales, I can hear them saying something like that to me!! :) I am the return-queen...gotta love it! Have a blessed Sunday!

Lisa Spence said...

Another small town resident here, who loves to go to the big city and shop at Target...ESPECIALLY the clearance rack! When we get opportunity to go, my son walks in the door saying "please, not the clearance rack, please not the clearance rack!"

And yes, I know Madame Blueberry. I am Madame Blueberry at times!

Great post!

Kelly said...

Erin,
I am cracking up--my kids called Wal-mart, "Stuff mart" for years. It is amazing how much kids "get." Thanks for sharing this!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

acksonLOL!! Do you know how much trouble I get into at Target and Walmart?! I end up leaving those stores with about 10 items I had no intentions of buying in the first place. I can totally relate...


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved