Thursday, January 10, 2008

Home-maker

I'll never forget watching my mom fill out paperwork in a doctor's office when I was young. I watched as she carefully penned each answer. When she came to the question about her occupation, she did not hesitate. In the cursive that I have come to love, she wrote. . .


Homemaker.


And, what an amazing homemaker she was. And, it had nothing to do with how well she kept house. She was a home-maker. To put it simply, she made our home. She was home. The two were so intertwined I couldn't tell you where one ended and the other began. Home was mommy. Mommy was home. And, I loved Mommy, and I loved home. I loved being at home more than I liked being anywhere else. I liked being with Mommy more than I liked being with anyone else. And, I don't just mean when I was 4. I mean when I was 14, 18, and 22!



Mommy was comfort, encouragement, a warm welcome after a long day, a fresh, hot batch of cookies, a warm bath after a long gymnastics practice, bedtime prayers, long talks at night, lots of laughter, cold ice cream for my aching throat, and bright, happy praise music. She was the one that I could call on when I was afraid at night (because I was afraid a lot as a child), and she would come and lay down with me. Always involved in the minute details of our lives, bringing cupcakes to my classes, the faithful chaperone, the volunteer of volunteers, and she was our nurse (our very own personal RN.) She helped with research, with projects, and with papers. If I had something due the next day, and I had procrastinated, I didn't have to stay up alone. She kept the lamp burning and sat beside me, helping me. Is there any question why growing up I considered her my best friend? When I was in high school, my favorite ritual was cheese dip and quesadillas at Chili's with my mom. We would go alone, after shopping for hours, and talk and laugh. My goodness, I love you, Mom.


She didn't think about herself, getting "her time," or if she did, I never knew about it. We were her life. Some would say that was wrong. That she did too much for us. That she should have taken more time away from us, more time for herself. That she needed to be her own person, not just our mother and Daddy's wife. But, I feel certain that she would disagree. I don't think she feels that she gave up anything. She is now in her 60s, and if you asked her, she would tell you that hers has been a blessed life. She literally gave her life for Daddy and us, and we were so much better for it.


Our home, made by mom, was a place we all loved to be. It wasn't immaculate. It wasn't decorated perfectly, but it was cozy. And, it was warm. And, it was inviting. And, I couldn't wait to get there. After a long day at school or after a long semester at college. . . I just couldn't wait to be home. It always felt so good to walk in the door. Home. I want that for my boys. I really want that for my boys.

So, lately I have been thinking. How do I do that? What is the key?

This is what I am thinking. . . .

Simply it is to be like Christ. My mom's goal each day was to be like Christ, to act like Him and walk like Him, and talk like Him.

Jesus loves children. As a child, He loved me through my mom, and He wants to love my boys through me. When they are sick, He wants to use my hands to comfort them. When they are hurting, He wants to use my voice to soothe them. When their hearts are broken, He wants to use me to help mend them. He wants to love them through me. He wants to use me to teach them about Himself, about His faithfulness, His character, and His love.

Home is the place where children should feel Christ's love most purely. The place where they are loved as close to unconditionally as is possible on this side of heaven. A place where they are loved, cared for, treasured, adored, smiled at, encouraged, lifted up, disciplined, and shown grace. In many ways this is very easy for me, but in many ways this can be very hard for me, too.

But, I can honestly say that I love home. I love my husband and children so much. Home is my boys (big and small), and my boys are home. The two are so intertwined that I can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I'd rather be home than anywhere, and I'd rather be with my boys than with anyone. And, that is a start.

18 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you. I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now...my sister recommended it. I really needed to read what you wrote today. I have four small children, three of them boys and I forget those things often. I get so overwhelmed trying to keep up that I forget to just be. Thank you for the reminder.

Elizabeth said...

Your sweet words made me cry and thank God that I have the privilege of creating and keeping a home for my family. Our culture tells us in so many ways that there is more, that staying home is wasting our talents and damaging the work force. But what is more critical to society than raising godly children and training them in the way they should go? What you and I do is a privilege and an honor and I am so blessed to know that other moms feel the same way I do.

Tara Lee said...

I've been thinking a lot about my role as a mommy to my three ltitle girls and this post just put into words all that I have been pondering...thank you!

Alison said...

Thank you for the reminder that this time at home is a gift!!! Every chance to comfort, encourage and guide is to be cherished. I shall go about my day with new resolve and a determined heart! Thanks again!!!!

Jen said...

Beautifully written!

Kelly said...

What a legacy your mother has given you! I, too, seek to create that for my family.

Jenny said...

That is what I really, really want for my family. But, I must quit trying to do it in my own power. The only way this will happen is through reliance on Christ. Thank you for this beautifully written, thought provoking post!

Linda said...

I couldn't just read this one and not leave a comment Erin. I could have written the very same post about my Mom (not nearly as beautifully as you though). I am so blessed that as a Grandmother I still have her in my live and we have her in the heart of our family. I don't think we can aspire to any higher goal than to be like Jesus.

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

I love this post! Your mom sounds so much like my own and your goal to be like her is also mine.

Now that I am a mom, I truly realize the depth of her love for me and how difficult it must have been to always portray Christ. I admire her even more.

Thanks for putting this into beautiful words!(BTW-My mom LOVES your blog and thinks you are a fabulous Mommy. I agree)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

This post is great! I've been reading your blog for quite some time and it never fails to challenge me or uplift me. Thanks for the reminder that home is so much more than walls. And it is about being like Christ, not Martha Stewart!

Kim said...

I want to have this kind of home for my husband and children as well...a home-maker..I like the way you described that.

Your mom sounds wonderful...what a godly legacy she has given you and now you are able to do this for your family!

Fun With Five said...

Thank you for the encouragement, I really needed this today.

Sunshine said...

So sweet and my hearts cry for my girls here at home with me. What a precious post and a great encouragement for us moms who stop by to read! Thank you for letting people (like me) read who don't know you personally. Have a great weekend. Sunshine

PartyofFive said...

Sweet words. Exactly what I want for my kids too. I need to remember that when life gets out of control.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Thanks for this. I always love your posts!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Thanks for this. I always love your posts!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful expression of admiration and affection! Your mother sounds lovely. I hope in my heart of hearts that one day, when my children are grown- they will feel this way about me! I feel so honored to be a wife and mother. And this reminds me why I am so very blessed. Thank you! I've been enjoying your blog for a while now, and after reading this post, I had to leave a comment and let you know how much I enjoy your writing. Blessings!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

This was beautifully written. And Erin, if ever I seen these wishes evident, it is in your life. Your writing, your pictures depict such a home and you an incredible encouragement to all of us! Keep on keeping on! =)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved