Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It Was a Very Special Day. . .



Precious.


So, so precious.


I cannot tell you how much it meant to us that our sweet pastor welcommed the idea of letting Joshua's Pop baptize him. It meant so much to us. Our pastor has come to mean so much to our family over the years. We love him dearly, and I am so thankful that he is standing right next to Pop in these pictures we will look at for years to come. How sweet to watch Erik's Dad, who after 52 years of baptizing members of his own congregations, now was baptizing one of his grandsons!!! Erik said that he could just hear his mama saying, "Nobody does it like Jimmy Dukes!" We don't know if she can see us from heaven, but if she can we know she was smiling as she watched us walk through this special day.


I caught up with my little man before the baptism, and took this picture. . .


I love it!! I think I love it because he looks so young and sweet!! If only I could bottle years! Here he is getting into the water, his Daddy helping him. . .


Pop taking his little hand in his. . .



I love the tenderness with which Pop baptized Joshua. They were such sweet moments!


Pop was so gentle and cautious. This was a day I hope Joshua never forgets, and I don't think he will.

Baptisms almost always make me cry. I love the symbolism!






Here they are after they dressed. . .
The day was so special. We invited some of our closest friends over after the service for a light lunch and celebration. The people we invited were people who have influenced Joshua spiritually. It was a sweet group, and we had a wonderful, relaxing time. At one point Erik gave Joshua a charge. Through tears he challenged Joshua to live a life worthy. It was so intense and emotional. Erik looked only at Joshua piercing his soul with his fatherly words of wisdom and advice. He challenged our sweet boy to be strong and courageous and to be full of power, love, and self-discipline. It was all the things Erik challenges the boys with on a daily basis rolled into one wonderful, and very emotional, charge.
It was a special day ~ one that none of us will soon forget!

1 comment:

HW said...

My husband baptized our daughter a few years ago on Father's day. I couldn't help but think, as he lead her into the water that he held her tiny hand upon her birth and there he was lifting her out of the water on her rebirth. It is a precious precious time to see our children take this step.

Congratulations. Your son is now your brother. Isn't it beautiful?


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved