Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Make-Over. . .

I still remember the first time I saw her. We were worn out after spending the entire day looking at houses to no avail. She was our last stop. I was feeling pretty hopeless by this point. Every other house we looked at that day just wasn't home. You know how you just know? Several of the houses were very nice, but they didn't feel like home. I was begininng to feel disappointed. I had such high hopes of finding "the perfect home for us." After all, we would most likely start our family in this home. . . But, disappointment left me the instant I saw her. A simple, humble home that beckoned us to enter. Before I opened the car door, my heart knew. . . we were home. She was so warm and inviting. And, I loved her. It was spring and the azaleas were in full bloom. We were taken with her. As we looked at the interior, we were only affirmed in our thinking. Although the decor (which consisted mostly of dead animals) was not our taste (not to mention the odd layout of the house and the pokey things on the ceiling), we felt at home inside her. After a long hard day, we were finally home.

I'll never forget the first night we spent in her. Our furniture was to be delivered the next day, so we slept cuddled in blankets on the floor of our new master bedroom. My mind was alive that night with dreams of the life that would happen in this new home of ours. We were so thankful, so overwelmingly thankful for her.

And, now five years and two children later, we are still here. Birthday parties, play-dates, and too many firsts to name have taken place under the shelter of her roof. We have loved her. We have loved the carpet to shreds, loved paint off the doors and walls, loved many linoleum tiles off the floor, loved a few too many stains on her white formica countertops, and we have outloved our living space. So, after much discussion and debate, we have decided to add-on and renovate our beloved home. For the next 4-6 months we will live in a small duplex across town. But, we will come home every day to check on her progress and to let the boys play in the yard.

Many of our friends don't understand why we don't just buy land and build a house. But, how could we when this is home. I trained for my marathon on these country roads that surround her. We brought two boucing baby boys home to her. Joshua's Orchard (a row of fruit trees that Erik planted the spring after Joshua was born) sits just to the left of her. She is our home, and we aren't ready to leave her.

The man who built our home just happens to live across the street. Mr. Cole (or Mr. Tole as Joshua calls him) has agreed to renovate our home for us. Joshua is constantly asking us, "When is Mr. Tole going to break our house? When is he just going to tear down our walls?" And, now we have an answer for him - Monday. Yes, Monday, he will begin the process which will take what will seem like forever to accomplish. But, one day he will finish her, and on that glorious day, I will put before and after pics in a post. So, until that time, my blogging may be sporadic. We will see how it goes. . .

All in all, we are excited about the changes. I am thankful that we are able to add-on to her and make her even more ours. . . But, I am even more thanful that when we pack up and move out of her on Sunday, we can know that it isn't for long. We will be back for many more years and many more memories. I know it is silly, but she really is a part of us. And, I am excited for her. After all, what girl doesn't love a good make-over every now and then. . .

16 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like a great thing to do. Look forward to seeing the before and afters.
I didn't know you were a runner too.

Linda said...

Erin, I don't think you are silly at all. When I was in my teens, my parents bought an old 100+ year old house. My Dad worked for years after work and on weekends to turn that house into a warm, welcoming home. My parents don't live there any more, and I thought my Mom's heart would break when they had to move. She still says that is the house she calls home in her heart.
Our homes become a part of us when we fill them with the kind of love and life you are talking about. WE have been in the house my husband build for almost 25 years now, and it is home to me.
I'm so glad Mr. Cole can do the work and that your home can continue to grow with you. What a special blessing for your family.
I'll miss you if you have to stop blogging for a while, but I'll be thinking about how your home is growing under Mr. Cole's care.

Renee said...

I didn't know such a great post could be written about a home, but you definitely accomplished it! It so reminded me of our 125 yr old house that we made home in MS. It needed that make-over, but we weren't there long enough to make it happen. Funny how those old, country homes feel more like home than the newer ones do...at least to me, that is. Best wishes on your new endeavor.

Cheryl said...

How exciting!!! I'm sure there will be adjustments, as your probably going to a smaller place, and you won't have all your "stuff" with you, but it will be so worth it. Looking forward to the pictures of progress too.

Southern Girl said...

I know you're excited! Hope the renovating and adding on will go smoothly and you'll all be back home soon.

Big Mama said...

Erin, we renovated our home about 3 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant with our daughter. It was a long and sometimes frustrating road, but so worth it in the end. You'll be so glad y'all did it.

There's no place like home. Great post.

Sarah said...

I'm so excited for you! (Not so much the moving-while-pregnant-and-living-in-a-small-duplex-with-two-little-boys part, though.) I can't wait to see pictures! Sorry I missed your call today; I'll try you again this weekend and see if I can catch you between packing boxes:)

Pamela said...

Beautifully written! Your home is definitely filled with a lot of love. So many incredible memories are contained within the walls of our home. Being a military brat and moving all my life it is wonderful that my kids have 15 years of memories in our current home and they have all said they hope we never move...so I love your story as you are embracing change, but maintaining your family "roots"! :) Can't wait to hear how it turns out, Erin! *smile*

Anonymous said...

That is sweet, I get it. Did you know that my mom is still in the same house that she and my dad and my oldest sister moved into in 1959? My dad is in heaven now, but I love going back home to that house and knowing that she is there! We have been in our house since before we had kids. We are planning to move to the country eventually, which will be great. But, it will be sad to leave this home that we brought all of our babies home to.

Kristi

Linda said...

Hi Erin,
My "bloglines" thingy tells me you have a new post, but I can't access it. It could certainly be that the problem is on my end (I am not very computer-savy), but I thought I would check with you.
Hope the weekend is good. Are you all moved in?

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

I know Linda's problem. Bloglines shows the "Sassy" post but you obviously chose to delete it. Just FYI, people can still view it via bloglines, and I did read it. It was cute BTW and I understand 100% except my lack of sassiness is lack of money!!! :)

Girl Raised in the South said...

I love how you personify your home, it so conveys what she means to you. It'll be worth the wait to have her fixed up like you want her, then you get to enjoy her all those years. I personally think youre brilliant to move out during remodeling. It makes me crazy to live amongst the mess.

Michelle said...

How exciting. I envy the consistancy of "home" you have had, as my DH's job has transferred the pits out of us LOL. Please share pictures of your progress.

Anonymous said...

We are hoping sometime in the future to purchase land and build a house....

Barb said...

Hello Erin,

I have no idea why it took me so long to get over here but I'm finally catching up with people today.

This moved me more than you know. I absolutely understand your attachment to your home and I can imagine how excited you are to be sprucing her up. How lucky you are to have a home you love so much.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been blogging lately. Been SO super busy, but I've accomplished alot!

Kilikina

Visit My Blog


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved