Friday, September 15, 2006

A true friend. . .

Quick Update: My sweet Sister-in-love, Cecilia, has had the surgery to test more lymphnodes and to place her port for chemo. She will now take 2-3 weeks to heal from surgery, and then she will begin 6 months of aggressive chemotherapy.

Oh, I cannot tell you how much I am learning watching her go through this trial! She is amazingly resilient and has the best attitude. Many, myself included, would likely take the diagnosis she has been given and throw a nice little pity party, maybe even a temper tantrum. I have not heard an ounce of this in her voice. How God is that! We were talking the other day about her coming to visit me in the spring to see my newborn baby. She paused for a minute and said, "But, Erin, I won't have hair then, and I will have to be in pictures." Then, there was another small pause, and I reminded her, "But, my baby won't have hair either, and that will make a great picture!" And, we both laughed hysterically! And, that has been the amazing attitude that God has graced her with throughout this trial. There is something to be said about the character of a person who can laugh amidst trials.

I have thought alot about friends as I have watched Cecilia go through this trial. Who would I want to go with me to my treatments or to pick out wigs? Cecilia has been richly blessed by God through a friend named Kathy. Kathy, Cecilia, and my mom went to pick out wigs yesterday. And, they turned what could have been a sad day into a very funny day!! They laughed and played and tried on wigs. Kathy would no doubt let Cecilia cry on her shoulder, but I'm not sure that she would let her cry long before the two of them would laugh. She is the kind of friend who lends strength in times of weakness and not pity, hope and not sorrowful tears. And, that is the kind of friend that I would want with me in a trial. I don't think I will need a friend who feels sorry for me. I can do that by myself. I need a friend who will pull me out of that pit and make me laugh, hard, until I can't breathe, until I have forgotten, even if it is only for a second, the trial that I am in.

Kathy did something so neat for Cecilia this week. I cried when my mom told me. She put a sign in Cecilia and Kelly's front yard. The sign says, "Celebrate Cecilia 2007" And, under the words are pictures from brochures of places Cecilia and Kathy can go and things that they can do together when Cecilia's treatments are over. In other words, Kathy's message is this, "Cecilia, look at these plans that I have for us next year. Look at all the fun things we will do. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am going to walk with you through this dark tunnel, and at the end of the tunnel, I am going to dance with you in the bright sunshine!" And, that is a true friend. Not a friend who feels sorry for you, but a friend who says you can do this, keep your head up, this trial is only for a season. I love it! Thank You, Jesus for friends like Kathy, who love us through trials with hope, strength, and a good sense of humor!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Erin,
I have been praying for Cecelia. The Lord puts her on my heart often. He demonstrates His love for us in so many ways - like putting flesh and blood people in our lives to be His arms and hands and laughter and tears. Kathy sounds like one of those people. God is loving enought to know that sometimes we just need a real live person there to walk with us through the hard times.

Sarah said...

I have a small handful of friends like that--two here in TX, Carrie from UU, and you; though it has been years since we've seen each other, I know you'd still be that friend for me, and I'd be that for you.

I am blessed to have you as that kind of friend, Erin:)

I'll keep on praying for C. What a testimony she is!! (And now I understand your reluctance to complain about p.) :)

Girl Raised in the South said...

I have one friend in particular who is just that. Even one is a blessing. Sweet post that reminds us to appreciate those friends we have, and to be that to at least one other person. We'll be praying for her.

Southern Girl said...

What a sweet friend Kathy is. I count myself so blessed to have a good friend like that -- a UU professor, actually -- who lets me cry on her shoulder and then gets me laughing through my tears. Friends like that are just one of the ways God demonstrates His love for us, I'm positive.

I'll be praying for Cecelia.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful friend Kathy must be! Thank for keeping us updated. I hope Cecelia feels all the prayers.

Paula said...

Erin,
I will continue to pray for Cecelia. I am so glad she has a great friend like Kathy and a family ylike yours. That is really special.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Cecilia has a friend like that..... it will be priceless for her as she goes through cancer treatment. And I love how you call her your sister-in-love... so sweet.

I made a video on my blogsite and your boys are part of it... I hope it blesses you. I had fun putting it together of all the families from blogger.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved