Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Sweet Lesson, an Overflowing cup, and a Precious Baby. . .

Isn't it amazing the thought that God placed each of our children into our families. We do not choose; He does the choosing. We are the blessed recipients of His goodness. Biological or adopted each child is placed perfectly into the family in which God ordained for the child to be reared. He knows our needs and the needs of the little ones with whom He entrusts us. And, He divinely pairs us up. He doesn't ask for our help. He knows better. He knows best. To me that is precious, and I am so thankful for it.

God has chosen to, once again, bless our sweet family with a little boy! And, the moment that I saw his little profile on the ultrasound screen I knew. . . I knew that he was mine, given to me by my God. I marveled at his little arms, legs and hands - all so precious to me. I watched him moving constantly, putting his tiny arm over his face, and, I fell in love with him.

I must be completely honest and say that as we drove to the restraunt for our post-ultrasound date a selfish thought occured to me. . . the thought that I may never have a daughter. And, a strange saddness came over me, a feeling of loss. This thought has occured to me before, but I usually push it away knowing that it is wrong and ungrateful. I shared my feelings with my sweet husband. And, for a few minutes I contemplated it all. And, I heard my God sweetly saying, "Does the clay say to the Potter. . ." Erik looked me in the eyes and said, "God has chosen us to raise Godly men. This is our cup. Embrace your cup." (He actually said that - "embrace your cup" - it got to me - deeply.)

This is my unique cup chosen for me by my Father. How sweet is that. No matter what our cup holds, the contents have all been sifted through His sovereign fingers and poured gently there by hands of love. I cherish that. I trust that. Whatever we long for - be it a daughter, a child to call our own, health for a child we love , a husband to love and be loved by, whatever it is, He knows our longing. He knows, and He cares. And, with great love for us He gives us each our portion and our cup. But, the beauty is in the end of the verse. (Can you tell this is my life verse?) Our lot is secure. We are secure in Him no matter our cup, no matter our earthly assingment. We are His, we are loved, and we are secure.

So, tonight as we drove home from a long afternoon of shopping, our boys both fell asleep in the backseat. It was about 7:45 when we got home. We each took a child to put to bed. Erik took Joshua, and I took JCT. I walked around to the other side of the car, looked inside, and stared in amazement at this precious child. He was sound asleep, lips all puffed out sweetly. I just paused for a minute and watched him sleep. Then, I slowly took him out of his carseat, sliding one of my hands under each of his arms. And, I held his sweet little body to my chest, soft, sleepy breaths in my ear. I carried him inside, changed his clothes, and put him in his bed. Then, I went to kiss Joshua who was already asleep in his bed. Again, through the pale moonlight of his window, I marveled at God's handiwork. I kissed his soft wind-chapped cheek, and I was overwhelmed. I heard my Father speaking deeply into my heart. . . "Does the clay say to the Potter. . ." And, with a tear gently rolling down my cheek, I quietly replied, "No, Father, no." His faithfulness overwhelms me.

I know it is a silly and selfish thing for me to have thought, but in all honesty it was my thought. And, I wanted to share how God walked me through it. I love how He does that. He doesn't give up on us. No, He walks us through our situations, no matter how silly. I tend to make mountains out of mole-hills, but He faithfully walks with me, journeys alongside me. He knows I am a drama queen. He made me. Isn't it awesome to have your Creator as your best friend! The one Who knit us together in our mother's womb, loves us, and walks with us until we meet Him face to face!

Okay, now on a lighter note, I will tell you what my Joshua said when we told him that the baby was a boy. Let me preface this by saying that he has wanted a sister since JCT was born. He used to call JCT his sister - which we quickly put a stop to! Anyway, he has called this baby a girl from the beginning of the pregnancy. And, the whole way home from dinner I was dreading telling him the news. So, when we got home, we sat the boys down in front of the TV. We played the video of the ultrasound and pointed out the baby to the boys. JCT wasn't very interested, but Joshua was. At one point the baby spread his little legs, and Erik took the opportunity to tell Joshua. He said, "See there are his legs, and there is his poe poe. He has a poe poe like you, Joshua. Do you know what that means? That means that the baby is a brother. You are going to have another brother! What do you think about that!!!" Erik is all smiles. Joshua puts on a huge frowny face and growls like some sort of wild, hungry animal. I wait to see what he will say. . . And, then out of no where, Joshua quits growling and says, "Just throw that poe poe away!!!!!!!"

He, too, will learn to embrace his cup, for his lot is secure.

25 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! We have an ultrasound scheduled for next week to find out if we are having our 3rd daughter or a 1st son. Your words were much appreciated. :)

Anonymous said...

You are so precious, sweet friend. Don't feel guilty for wishing for a girl--YOU are a girl; it only makes sense that you'd want someone like you. If you were pregnant with your third girl, Erik would probably be in your place, wishing for a boy!

This one will be completely different from the other two and will fit a piece of your family you didn't know was missing. I can't wait to see him!

I love you dearly:)

Big Mama said...

Erin, this post has just left me with tears in my eyes. Your honesty and sweet heart are such a blessing. And yes, I am thankful that He has made our lot secure.

And can I say that as a mother of a daughter it brings me comfort and joy to know there are mamas out there like you, Sarah, and Boomama raising Godly men who will know what it means to love like Christ and lead a family someday.

Donnetta said...

Don't feel like your desire for a girl was selfish... rather human.

Your love for the little guy you are carrying is already so very evident. Your love for the 2 little men you already have is very evident.

Praise God, the giver of life. Can't wait to see what he has in store for all 3 of your little men! A purpose is already outlined for each of them. A purpose only they can fulfill.

Blessings on you!!!

Anonymous said...

hello love! CONGRATS on another precious boy! I am thankful you shared your true emotions with us, your husband, and our God.... that's what He simply wants.... for He already knows your heart and your feelings anyway. And as for us bloggers out here who love you, we respect you and LOVE that you tell us your true heart.... that you long for a daughter.... THAT is okay. It does not mean you cherish your sons any less... it is simply a desire of your heart for which you don't need to feel guilty. Just keep seeking the Lord's truth, as you are doing, and He will care for your heart.

I think you are one of the kindest, sweetest people.... I love your heart and your voice and the wisdom that pours out of you.... God is teaching you so much, even when you feel weak or selfish. He uses You to bless us. Thank you for writing all you did tonight. Thank you for reminding me to embrace my cup... and that my lot is SECURE... oh, how I needed to hear that.

I love you, dear friend.... and am so thankful that you care about me enough to WANT to keep up with my blog. Do you know how much that means to me? I'm single.... I don't have a family like you.... my posts are different from most of the others you probably follow.... yet, you still want to know me and my life. Thank you so much. You are truly a blessing.

Much love, calissa

p.s. And congrats again on the little man God is weaving together inside your belly.

Anonymous said...

First of all, congratulations on the little man! I am so happy for you. Secondly, I really think its ok for the thought of never having a girl to cross your mind. You are human! My father has four girls, no sons, and I'm sure there was more than one occasion where he questioned his lot in life but as you said, you were pre-ordained to be the mommy of three, beautiful little boys.

Thank you for your heart-warming post. It put a smile on my face and a cinch around my heart. I constantly marvel that God would bless my life with two beautiful children and am awed that He matched them with me!! It was a beautiful post.

Congrats again!!

Anonymous said...

Can I just tell you I walked in those shoes. I am sooooo blessed with my three boys (HEY WELCOME TO THE BOY CLUB), but I had to find out what I was having with my third. And when I found out it was a boy, I did have a bit of a grieving process. Now mind you my third boy has been my easiest baby, and I love him so much. Would not trade him for the world =)

I have so much more on this subject but maybe I will email you.

But I just wanted to know I hear your heart. I hear your joy in a healthy baby, but I also feel what went through your mind.

Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the your new little boy! I have been checking in since your last post waiting to see. Please know that you are not alone in your feelings. We cannot help the way we feel sometimes. You have a great attitude and are wonderful for finding your strength. I had my first son for 10 years before we had our daughter. When we went to the ultrasound for our daughter, they couldn't tell us for sure what she was. I cried, no I sobbed. I wanted to know so bad. In the end, I had a girl... but 6 years later I was having another ultrasound and this time we were hoping for another girl. I guess because our oldest son was 16 and it just seemed to make more sense to have a girl. Like you said, God makes those plans and not us. When it was announced he was a boy, our daughter was so sad, but our oldest was thrilled. I got through the whole day okay. I *thought* I was okay. Then that night, when my husband kissed me goodnight, I just cried. I felt horrible for crying. I felt so selfish. I had a girl and God was choosing to give us a boy, what was my problem? But, I cried and I told my husband that I was just sad I wasn't going to have another girl to share things with - NOT SAD that this baby was a boy. If that makes sense. I love who this last baby with and that doesn't change, but I am sad that I won't have another girl. The two do not always go together. You are a wonderful mom and I love reading your blog. Thank you for sharing with us.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

What a sweet sweet post. So close to my heart! I have 3 girls and I am pregnant with our fourth and last planned child. I will not find out what this little one is for a month or so. This is probably the last chance for us to have a boy--- but we trust God. His design for our family is perfect.

I love your heart for your boys! Praise God for your little Number 3:)

Paula said...

I am very happy for you. Thank you for being so honest about your feelings. They are real and rare. The good thing is God the Father always knows what is best for us.

Paula said...

When I say rare...I don't mean many people don't have those feelings and you're alone, I mean I don't think people share them. We should though. We as mothers in Christ could help one another not feel so alone.

Deidre said...

I can't get away from the sentence you wrote where your husband said you were to raise Godly men. Having never met you personally, but from reading your words that flow from your heart, I have no doubt that you are doing that and will continue with this child as well. As a mother of 2 girls, I'm thankful for women like you!!

Congratulations, Erin!

Linda said...

Thank you for being so transparent - and dear Erin. I don't think there is one of us who doesn't understand exactly what you felt.
After two little boys, I longed for a daughter. After much discussion and prayer we decided to adopt. Our only requirement was that it be a little girl. Lisa came into our lives 28 years ago, and she is such a joy and blessing. Sometimes God gives us just exactly what we want. He always gives us what is best for us.
Thank you for a wise, loving post.

Melissa Stover said...

i am so glad there are mothers like you out there raising future husbands for those of us with daughters. i pray for their future spouses a lot and it is a relief to know there are mothers like you out there raising sons.
congratulations and don't feel bad for wanting a daughter. i had some uncertain thoughts when i found out i was pregnant with my son. but as you said, God knows what we need and who to put in our family. i'm thankful for that.

Kelly said...

It is wonderful that God chose us as the perfect mother for our children. We are a heavenly match!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet attitude you have displayed,Erin...and Congrats on another *little man* to go with your *little men*....We had 3 girls before having our first son...we just knew God had destined for us to raise sweet girls,we were shocked to say the least when the ultrasound said a boy. God has a very specific plan for that baby boy---What joy!

I will be praying for you!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your little boy. And thank you for sharing such a truthful moment in your life.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say I really enjoy reading your blog, every time you have something uplifting to say/share, and you remind me of the things God's word says.

I haven't written like that in a long time, but I do long to do that once again....

Jennifer said...

Erin- This was a BEAUTIFUL post--then hilarious at the end. I plan to bookmark this post and return to it often. You are such a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing your testimony-in-the-making with us. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Erin, I just remembered something a friend told me when we found out Gray was a boy--she said as long as I had only boys, I would be the reigning princess. Once a girl came, she'd push me off my throne.

You're still on the throne, girl! Now you just need a tiara to go with it;)

Anonymous said...

What a beautifull post I am in awe of your honesty. Thank you for sharring such a precious moment and for the reminder of Gods faithfullness. Anessa

AW said...

Erin,

I don't know you, but your words in this post really touched me. I struggle daily with telling my Potter how to create my life. And in spite of that, He is faithful to me and all of my tears when Life doesn't go my way. I forget that sometimes. Thank you for the reminder. I'm copying some of your words to post by my desk today. I need to read and reread them. :-)

Blessings,
Andi

Anonymous said...

This is the first time commenting on your blog.

Thank you for posting this. I have been having some struggles being a parent & with my attitude lately. Thank you for the encouragement.

~Betty~

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is my first visit to your blog and I just had to comment on this one. My MIL always says she wanted more daughters, but what she didn't realize is that when her sons married she would have more daughters. And she treats us just like her own, she loves us so much, and I call her mom. We are so close. You WILL have daughters! The MIL and DIL relationship can be a wonderful, beautiful thing!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find your email and wanted you to know that I nominated this post for the Family & Children section under Hidden Treasure Awards. If you don't know about this visit this site
http://www.everydaymommy.net/everyday-mommy/2007/2/7/hidden-treasure-blog-award-nominations-now-open.html

You can nominated anyone, with any post in any catergory listed. :)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved