Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Favorite Bedtime Song for my Boys. . .

A friend of mine let me listen to a CD from a Family Life Marriage Conference that she attended several years ago. At the end of one of the sessions on parenting, the speaker sang this sweet song that she sings to her boys. I instantly fell in love with it not only because it is a wonderful prayer for my little men, but also because it teaches them the character traits of many great men of the Bible.

May he have the faith of Abraham,
May he have the boldness of Paul,
May he have a heart like David,
Always seeking God, always seeking God

Father God, bless my son,
May he grow to be a man of God.

May he have the wisdom of Solomon,
May he have the patience of Job,
May he be a leader like Joshua,
Always full of hope, always full of hope

Father God, bless my son,
May he grow to be a man of God.

May he have the courage of Daniel,
May he have the love of John,
May he know Your voice like Samuel,
And, always obey God, always obey God

Father God, bless my son,
May he grow to be a man of God.
Help him grow to be a man of God.

I love to sing this song over them, praying each word as I sing, meaning the words to my very core. That Joshua would have the courage of Daniel, the courage to face adversity. The boldness of Paul, the boldness to stand when those around him do not. That JCT would have the patience of Job, the patience to wait on God's timing, God's best for him. That like Samuel they would know God's voice and answer Him, "Speak for Your servant is listening." That they would be leaders like Joshua, strong and courageous. The love of John, the faith of Abraham, the wisdom of Solomon. . . This is the 2nd to last song that we sing to them every night. And, I absolutely love it. I often stare at their sweet faces as I sing - wondering what God has in store for them. What challenges, what blessings, what heartaches. . . And, I wonder, will they, like Job, come forth as gold?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin your posts are so encouraging to me, I am so drawn to them. maybe it's that common link of raising boys (well for me it will be plural soon anyway) i loved this post once again. Thanks for your encouragment.

I wish I knew you better in real life, I think I will need a friend like you with experience raising boys...

Lori said...

Oh I loved this, wish I knew the tune. =)

Jennifer said...

I love this, too, is the tune common or special to this song?

Paula said...

I love the words. What is the tune?

Sarah said...

If this is the 2nd to last song, what are the others? (I'm a little afraid for the answer; my bedtime routine is quick! I just know I'm going to feel guilty . . .)

Your sweetness never fails to move me, sweet friend. :)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved