Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ode to my Cleaning Lady

For years pride kept us apart.
I told myself, "Who needs you, I am a stay-at-home-mom, a homemaker, and I can do it all!"
I spent hours here and there cleaning bathrooms, dusting, mopping, etc.
As I cleaned, I patted my children's heads and sent them to their rooms to play.
For Mommy had work to do - important work, vital work, keeping our home straight & sanitary.
Hours I missed. . .
Hours of laughs and books and games. . .
Instead I worked and complained, but kept up just the same. . .

Then, after 2 children, a renovation, and another pregnancy, I broke down.
I admitted that I was tired.
I admitted that it might be nice to have a bit of help. . .
And, so I called you.
That was all it took. . .
And, now every other Wed. you come. . .
I take my children out to run errands and to eat lunch and when I return. . .
My house smells like Pine Sol, the floors smile with a beautiful shine greeting me, my bathrooms glisten, and I did nothing. . .
All I did was leave you a little check on the table - no amount could compensate you for the joy that fills my soul. . .
When I enter my clean house. . .

Have I ever told you that I thank God for you?
Every other Wed. I say a prayer of thanks for you.
May God bless you, my sweet cleaning lady.
You are trustworthy, sweet, hardworking, and never, no never, taken for granted.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Ahh... maybe someday I can join you in that sweet bliss of a clean house that I didn't have to clean. Until then, say a little prayer for me, that I can keep joy about my tasks, taking lots of breaks to play with my two girls, toilets can wait amen!
Sarah

uuu said...

oh how wonderful that must be!! consider yourself blessed my friend - and like sarah - maybe one day i can join you in the same sweet bliss!! 'til then - i request the same prayer.... joy in my tasks and remembering to spend time with my babies... for all too soon, they will be grown and gone!!

Wendy said...

Send her to my house next, please.

Linda said...

I understand perfectly Erin. There are just the two of us, and I think about getting someone just a couple of times a month and then feel guilty because certainly I should be able to take care of an empty nest. However, the idea of a beautifully clean house that I didn't have to clean sounds so very appealing.

Sara said...

Hallelujah!

Big Mama said...

Amen. Just amen.

Paula said...

ENJOY!!

FaceforGrace said...

I wish I could join you on this one. But, can't...but I might try leaving myself a check on the counter; maybe it will be more fun! (My main reason for leaving this comment is to say that I'd love to hear the post that you mentioned for a later day about your sister and the adopted children one day!)

Holly M

Kim said...

I used to have a cleaning lady and she was so sweet...I loved coming home to a clean house...but as my girls started getting older, we have opted to spend time training them to be keepers of the home...we all do our part and get it done together...but lately it has been hard. With additional children now, some days I think I really need a cleaning lady again. If I could get someone to come in and help maybe every other week or so, that would be great!

I know how wonderful it is, though!

Enjoy!
Kim

Lori said...

Oh I am so glad you are blessed with help. I know it makes a difference.

Blessings.

Jennifer said...

Amen!

Sarah said...

I could write a second verse to this called, "Oh how I miss you, my dear cleaning lady."

Waaaaaaah.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh yes... this made me smile! =) I would LOVE to have this in my life and maybe someday I will. Good for you! I'm glad you're spoiling yourself in this way!

Brianne H. said...

I just want to say thank you for this ode. :) I am a mom of 5 and also a "Cleaning Lady." I would LOVE for one of my clients to write this for ME!! ;) Thanks for reminding me that the people I clean for really do notice a difference!

Blessings!

Brianne Hamel
Blue Bird Cleaning in Tacoma, WA


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved