Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My Life-Long Running Partner


Once when I was at a Campus Crusade meeting, I heard a speaker make this statement:


"Keep your eyes fixed on God, looking straight ahead. Don't turn to the right and left, looking for someone to run with. Run your race at your pace. And, one day if you find that there is someone running beside you. And, you find that person is running your pace, and you find that he spurs you on, that he makes you run better. . . Then, lock arms with him and run with him."


Now that was not an exact quote, but that is what I took away from what he said. His point being, don't look for "the one," let God bring "the perfect one." Now, I am a runner - have been since high school, so this analogy truly spoke to me. Because I knew all about running partners - from personal experience. I am a distance runner, slow and steady, but enduring. I start and finish at about the same speed. And, I remember contemplating the speakers words late into the night after I heard them. I lay in bed that night thinking of my past running partners. Most of my running partners started off at a 6min/mile pace, but came to a screaching halt after a quarter mile. And, I had, also, run with those who ran so slow I thought it might be easier to just walk fast next to them. I had never really found anyone who ran my pace. And, not a lot of my college friends enjoyed a 5 mile run the way that I did.


I still remember the first time Erik and I ran together. We had been "friends" for about 6 months. Jen and I drove to New Orleans to see Erik graduate from medical school, and while we were there he talked me into going running with him. Erik is very athletic, so I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a tiny bit nervous about running with him the first time. I was also a little concerned about the difference in our leg length. He is 6'7" and I am 5'7". That is a foot difference - and I thought that might just be a problem.


But, it wasn't. . .


And, as we ran side by side, the words of that Campus Crusade speaker came back to me. . .


Little did we know as we started our little jog that day, that really it was a life long journey we had begun. . .


Now, I'd be telling a fib if I told you that we ran exactly the same pace. We didn't. We still don't. I am the pace car, and he is the motivator. He starts out a little faster, I pace him, keep him from over-extending himself too early. Then, towards the end, I continue to keep the pace spurring him on to keep going. He motivates my pace to be a bit faster than it is when I run alone, making me a faster runner. And, what does that equal? A perfect running combination.


And, eight years ago today in front of family and friends we vowed to run this race together until death separates us. Over the last 8 years, we have run together on a beautiful journey. We have run past amazing scenery. We have run through trials. We have run through some of the best memories of our lives, but most importantly we have run with arms locked and eyes fixed not on eachother - but on the One Who Created us, loves us, and gave us to eachother.


Happy Anniversary, Baby, I love you!!

11 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Happy Anniversary!

What a beautiful story.

On a completely different note - my 3 year old is having his Thomas party this Saturday. I will let you know how the cake turns out!

Donnetta said...

What a wondeful post!! Happy running... and Happy Anniversary!

Big Mama said...

I've heard that same quote and have always loved it. Love this post!

Happy Anniversary!

Sarah said...

And it was a beautiful wedding--I have such good memories from it!

Happy Anniversary to both of you!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

I absolutely love the analogy here - a race partner, and will remember that. someone to pace/motivate, and to be there when we both are slowing down to a slow walk, but still side by side and looking ahead. Happy Anniversary.

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary, Erin!

Kim

Lori said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! Here's to many more.

Deidre said...

Happy Anniversary, Erin and Erik! What a cool analogy of finding 'the perfect one'. You both are so blessed!

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary Erin and Erik!! That is an absolutely beautiful ananlogy.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I know I'm a little late to the party, but this is really beautiful.

Happy anniversary, and may God continue to set your ultimate pace and give you joy on the journey.

Jennifer said...

I love this quote. It is soooo true! Happy Anniversary!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved