Monday, June 25, 2007

Arrows in the hand of a warrior

Sons are a heritage from the Lord
Children a reward from Him.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-5


Early in my pregnancy I was picking out new lighting for our home. I bought most of our new light fixtures at this really cool lighting store in a town near ours. While I was looking at lighting, I noticed a lamp that had a bow and a quiver full of arrows. I looked at my friend who works at this lighting gallery and said, "If we find out that this baby is a boy, I am going to buy that lamp for Erik next Father's Day." And, sure enough, Elijah was a boy, and so a few weeks ago, I headed back over to the lighting gallery to buy this lamp.

I made a card with the verse on it, and Erik's Father's Day present was complete!

It is easy to see why God chose to fill our house with boys. Erik has always had a heart for mentoring young men. When he was in medical school, he coached a junior high boys basketball team. He didn't just teach the boys the sport of basketball. He developed deep relationships with them. He did a Saturday morning Bible study with them walking with them through some of their most awkward years. He has always had a heart for training boys to grow into godly young men. And, now the boys that he is investing his time and heart into training are his own sons. He is an excellent father and a wonderful husband.



I can't mention Father's Day without mentioning my own precious father!! Thanks for all the love you have given me over the years!!




And, I also have to mention Erik's sweet Daddy who set an example of grace and selflessness for his son to follow.




So, to all the fathers that I love especially! Happy Belated Father's Day!!

8 comments:

FaceforGrace said...

Well, I can't tell you how pleased all of us Mama's of little girls are that you and your husband are developing all of these sweet little boys...who will undoubtedly grow into sweet grown men! I know it's crazy to even think that way, but I already pray for Bayli's mate...that God will protect him, keep him pure, have a good upbringing with parents that bring him to church and teach him about God at a young age, etc. So sweet little boys always bring tears to my eyes!

I love the gift that you gave your husband, and I love what it symbolizes. I love finding that perfect gift for the people that I love...

Have a Great Day!
Holly

Deidre said...

Well, you know I wholeheartedly echo 'faceforgrace's' comment (as I've told you many times). Parents like you and Erik are precious. I want my girls to follow the Lord and find such boys that have been raised in a home like yours.

I love this post, Erin. I love the picture of you and your dad!

Jackson said...

Excited to be on this "Great Boy Adventure" with you ,Erin! may we use these blogs lift each other up in raising our little men for HIM and for their future ladies to come! Happy "Boy Mama" Day!! :)Ali
** Need info on getting that lamp**

Wendy said...

What a neat idea for the lamp! I love finding gifts like that.

What a sweet posts and how blessed you both are!

swbbm.blogspot

Linda said...

That's a wonderful tribute to all the "dads" in your life Erin. Godly fathers are a very special blessing from the Father's hand.
The lamp is a great idea. Hope they all had a really happy Father's Day!!

Anonymous said...

I loved that post, and what a creative Fathers Day gift! I love that. We're almost to two boys now, and I think of you when I think of our future with at least one more kid...boy or girl? Maybe we too will have a houseful of boys.

Sarah said...

What a precious post! And that lamp is fantastic! What an amazing find! So are you planning on filling the entire quiver with boys?? :)

I love that picture of you in my maternity shirt--that was one of my favorites! It's so good to see your sweet face as I enjoy my coffee this morning, thinking of you!!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Aren't we blessed?! I feel so incredibly lucky to have a man who is a WONDERFUL husband, and most importantly, father. It sounds as though you are equally lucky.

I love, love, love the lamp! How truly special. By the way, you guys are a beautiful couple!!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved