Monday, November 12, 2007

Baby Dedication Sunday

This is what the day should have been about. . .



My Sweet, sweet 'Lijah. . .
But, he had some competition.
And, this is a more accurate picture of what the day was about. . .

Yesterday was Elijah's baby dedication. And, to make a very long story short, it was a crazy day, insanely. JCT woke up at 5:00 a.m. And, there was no returning to sleep. . . Erik is training for a half-marathon, and he had to do a 9 mile run before church. This meant the bulk of the getting everyone ready, etc. was on me. Let's just say that I got everyone else ready and out the door on time, but Elijah and I were the ones running late. Church starts at 11:00. I pulled into the church parking lot at 11:01, and Elijah was not yet fully dressed. I met Erik and the big boys in the foyer with a few minutes to spare - before we had to walk down the aisle.

Baby dedication always makes me a little nervous. But, this time I was really nervous. Joshua has always been dependable and for the most part predictable - even when he was 2 years old and we dedicated JCT. But, JCT is for the most part neither dependable or predictable, thus my stomach was in knots. I made Erik hold JCT, I held sweet 'Lijah, and Joshua walked alongside us.

JCT wanted to smell the altar flowers, he wanted to touch them, he reached for them, he wanted down, he sat on the step, he found the electrical outlet on stage, and he attempted to electrocute himself during the dedication prayer.

Needless to say, it was an uneventful dedication. We all, with the exception of JCT, smiled and acted like this was all wonderful and good. Only those of us closest to Erik could see the beads of sweat on his brow. I think we put up a good front, at least that is what I am telling myself. . .

Here he is in all his toddler glory. . . The will is surging. I am accepting prayers from all willing to offer them. . .

These pictures were taken by Deana B, our official family photographer. We attempted to take one of our entire family, you know, to remember the special day and all. Let's just say the big boys didn't really want to cooperate. . .

Craziness. I guess this picture is an appropriate representation of the special day.

Me and my baby. . .

Sometimes I sit on the front porch and hold Elijah in my arms. We stare at each other and laugh and play - sweet and quiet. Then, I look up and see the two crazy boys running wild in the front yard. First, I think to myself, "Look 'Lijah. They are so wild and crazy, but not us. We are calm, quiet, and sweet." But, then, quickly, I remind myself that it won't be too long before he leaves the peace of my arms and joins his older brothers in the craziness that is being of the little boy breed.

Oh, sad day.

No, I don't mean that. I will just make a glass of lemonade, sit back, smile, and watch them chase and tackle. And, I will tip my lemonade glass to them and toast the joys of raising little men.


9 comments:

dawn said...

I just found your blog and really like it. WE have Sundays like that at our house too. When my husband trained for a marathon, I remember those long run days, were very long for me too.

I just have to know, where did you get that darling baby sweater? I have an 8 month old too and I would love that for him.

Thanks!

Kim said...

These are the ones that will make the greatest memories down the road. Your boys sound like so much fun!!! Active and adorable! I enjoyed reading this!

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Can I just tell you how hard I laughed at the " attempted to electrocute himself during the dedication prayer" statement?!

And I laughed simply because my Park is your JCT.

I know God must think very highly of our abilities to entrust us with such little men. Or, he thought our sense of humors could use some work:) Either way, what a blessing! Loved this post.

Deidre said...

JCT is so cute and funny! I know you weren't thinking that during the dedication, but I have no doubt you will remember this day and be able to laugh about it later.

You have the sweetest family. I do imagine it will be no time at all before Elijah is doing the same thing - sad, isn't it?

Oh, and that picture of you... you are so beautiful, Erin. Inside and Out!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

YOU look amazing! Are you sure you just had a third baby only four months ago?!

I see some of JCT in my Hudson. I'm trying to prepare myself by reading your escapades. Lord help both of us!

Dionna said...

What a beautiful mama you are! :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this site today through my sister's blog and I totally enjoyed reading each bog on the page!! I have two boys, ages 2 and 4, and the oldest has red hair, too. They are both so wild and crazy and your home sounds just like mine -- all the way down to the tee tee on the slide :) I look forward to reading more.
theonlygirlhere.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Gosh, things sound really calm and boring at your house :)

And Erin! YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! You're completely shaming me. I've used the "I've had three kids" excuse successfully until right now. Darn it. Beautiful you!

Casey said...

I already see the little boy energy coming out in my 6 month old. He just started crawling and is into everything! I love seeing him discover new things, but at the same time, I miss the moments he spent curled in my arms! They are already few and far between!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved