Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Our Buccaneer Bash

Last weekend we celebrated the birth of our two oldest sons who ironically were born on the same day, two years apart. Inspired by the new veggie-tales movie, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, they wanted to have a pirate birthday. I must admit that I had mixed feeling about the whole pirate theme at first. Aren't pirates "bad guys"? But, after scouring the internet for ideas, I was more excited about the party than my sons! So, here is what we did. . .

First we sent out these fun invitations that I printed on cardstock and then soaked in stale coffee to give them an aged effect.




Here is a picture of me and my sweet pirates on the day of the party!







The first thing we did was give the guests a pirate name. Your first name is the name of your pet and your second name is the name of the street your family lived on when you were born. So, at our party we had Pirate Clifford Sunflower and Pirate Emma Greenleaf, etc. Then, we had optional face painting for the pirates who wanted to look most authentic. A sweet youth from our church came and set up a little area to paint mustaches and whatever else the kids wanted painted on their face or hands, etc.



Erik, who was the ship's captain, used a treasure map that we made to keep the kids moving from station to station with a little free play mixed in for good measure!


First, the kids went into our dining room to design and color their very own pirate flag. And, next the little buccaneers played pin the pirate on the treasure chest.






And, after that it was time for lunch. Lunch was a hodge podge of things. We had everything from chicken legs to cannon balls (grapes) and peg legs (carrots). The adults drank root beer from bottles and the children drank sprite with red ice (frozen fruit punch).




After lunch, we headed outside to finish the treasure hunt of activities. The next item on the agenda was for the children to take turns walking the plank! Erik created this make-believe plank, and the children loved it!



This is a picture of the hungry alligators in the waters below. . .




Next, the little guys and girls went digging for gold. We hid a good number of gold coins in our sandbox, and the kids loved competing to see who could find the most coins!!



JCT checking out the treasure map!



Erik is going over the treasure map with the pirates, and they suddenly realize that the only thing left to do is find the treasure!! After Erik gave a clue, they took off running to find the hidden treasure chest!


And, watch out! When they found the treasure, they squealed and screamed and tore into it attempting to carry off as much loot as their little hands could hold!


Next, it was back inside for some Larry cake!!!



Singing Happy Birthday to the sweet birthday boys!


Bags of Loot for the pirates. . .

This little note was in each bag of loot. . .

And, now for some party shots of sweet friends!

Deana B and sweet Afton. . .





Elijah had several babysitters during the party. A big thanks goes out to them!





JCT loving on sweet baby Grace!


Was the party a success?

I think so!

15 comments:

Deidre said...

So cool, Erin! I want to have a pirate party now, but I don't think the princesses around here would go for it. I loved this. You are so creative!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I love it! What a fun, memorable day for all of you.

Living to Love said...

Absolutely adorable!!! I love all of the little details!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, you are such a cool boy mama! =) I'm definitely going to have to start writing down some of these tips for Hudson when he's older. What a fun party!

Jenny said...

It looks like an awesome birthday party!! So fun!!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Sounds like an AWESOME party, Erin. I bet the boys will remember that forever.

Ami said...

Fun ideas!

Tami said...

My boys birthdays are in April and May and they love pirates. What a great idea.

Tara Lee said...

What a fun party!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Completely, completely precious! Such sweet memories you are all making.

picturesofhisgrace said...

Glad the boys had a great party! It looked like so much fun! Congrats also on the new little one! I hope you are feeling well. I am holding out for a girl this time because I think it would be just so sweet to have all these big brothers to take care of her. I can just picture how protective they will be! Love you, your Karen

Sweet Pea Cakes Etc. Blog said...

Oh my goodness what a super cute party idea! I love it. I only haev girls but I want to do a pirate party now! LOL I will have to see if htey are interested. Way to go!
Dawn

Jennifer said...

What an awesome party idea! No detail was left unattended! Way togo Mommy...and as usual, you rocked the cake!
Thought of you this afternoon as we sat next to the Thomases at lunch!

a portland granny said...

I just discovered your blog today and I have to say that it is a "smashing" one!!Loved all the party pictures. I also like your small print (haven't discovered how to do that yet)

You thought of everything for the pirate party! It was so creative...and knowing boys, I'm sure they were thrilled with the party. How fun!

On a Disney cruise, we had one night that was a "Pirates of the Caribbean" night and it was truly a roaring success and a hit with our boys!

I noticed on your front page that Betty Elliot was one of your favorite authors. I have known her for over 50 years. She was married to my cousin, Jim. I'm glad you have enjoyed her writings. I have also.

I shall enjoy following your blog.

Amanda Jo said...

I stumbled upon your blog somehow and I absolutely love it! Great job on the pirate birthday party - they looked like they had a ton of fun!

I can't wait to read some more!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved