Thursday, February 21, 2008

My World Has Officially Been Rocked. . .












by the stomach virus.


For years I have heard my friends complain about the stomach virus tearing through their families affecting each and every member. But, I never really understood how completely devasting that is until Sunday night when I experienced it firsthand. And, my, oh, my, it was the worst experience of my life thus far.

You see, my memories of the stomach virus involve a loving mother who held my hair back for me and washed my face and neck with cool wet rags while I hugged the potty. And, afterward she would walk me back to the couch where she made a soft snug little bed for me. Then, she would kiss my forehead, whisper, "Jesus make you well," and tuck me in with an ice cold glass of sprite to sip and a bowl sweetly placed beside the couch just in case.

Oh, but things are different now, mainly because she lives 4 hours away, and I am currently the resident "mama" of this home. Elijah, Joshua, and I spent Sunday night vomiting all night long. It was a party of sorts, and no one enjoyed it. I slept on a blanket on the concrete floors in our mudroom where I could have quick and easy access to the powder room potty. Erik slept on the couch and played nurse all night long taking care of the two sick boys since I was unfortunately occupied. Joshua ended up sleeping on the rug in the boys bathroom because he said his stomach didn't hurt as badly there as it did in his bed. The monitors in the kitchen were both on, so I could hear my sweet husband cleaning up my babies, saying things like, "I'm so sorry, buddy. I know. I'm so sorry." What a night! I don't think I have ever been that sick in my entire life, and I am still recovering from that night of terror. It sucked the life right out of me.

Monday, I had no energy, I ached all over, and I was so nauseated that Zofran didn't even help me. Joshua and Elijah felt my pain. They had no energy and simply wanted to lay around all day. But, guess who had boundless energy?

My JCT.
He had the virus Friday night, so he was feeling better and was ready to go. . .

"Mommy, can we go outside?''
"No, baby, it is too cold and Mommy doesn't feel good today."

"Mommy, can we go to Wal-mart?"
"No, baby, Mommy doesn't feel good, and we are staying home today."

"Mommy, can cook something?"
"No, baby, Mommy doesn't feel like eating or cooking today."

"Dossuuuaaa (Joshua), wanna go upstairs and pway pirates!!!???" Joshua is unresponsive laying on the couch.
"JCT, Joshua doesn't feel like going upstairs and playing. He just wants to rest on the couch today."

It really is no fun being the only well one in a house full of sick people!! But, thankfully, yesterday afternoon we turned the corner. After a morning of being really quite pitiful, we all perked up a bit. Joshua actually started playing with JCT again, Elijah ate a few Cheerios, and I actually felt a little hungry! We went out on the back porch for a little fresh air. I blew bubbles until I really thought I might pass out, and the boys danced around popping them. Their laughter was medicine to me!
Last night, I had more energy - thanks to the chicken soup Deana B brought me along with all the gatorade, sprite, coke, popsicles, crackers and other goodies she left on my doorstep over the course of the week. She is quite possibly the most thoughtful person in the world!! She even went around town to various gas stations trying to find Erik's favorite Tangerine Gatorade since the grocery was out of it. A big thanks to my sweet, sweet friend.
I realized as I got my little ones ready for bed last night the great blessing that health is. The strength to hold my three year old in my arms, to rock him and sing to him. Clean, healthy boys in clean pajamas snuggled in fresh clean linens. Ahhhh, the blessing of a home filled with peace and health, energy, love and strength. These are the little things that I take for granted so often. And, then this morning I asked my Joshua if he wanted anything to eat, and he replied, "No, I just want somebody to come upstairs and play with me. Wanna come upstairs and play with me James Siffer?" And, then a resounding, "YES!!!!!" from JCT followed by the pitter patter of my oldest sons racing up the wooden staircase. It was music to my ears.
Oh, thank You, Jesus for health!!

13 comments:

Lori said...

I am so sorry, it is bad enough to have one sick child but to have a house full...ugg.

Glad you have turned the corner.

Kim said...

OH Erin! I have been there and too many times to count :(

Among my closest friends we have what we like to call "full disclosure on the throw-up virus".

In other words, if you or your children have been sick, we will pray for you BUT do not come to our house, do not come to church, do not come to the park for a playdate and for goodness sakes, do not cook food and bring it to the Sunday School social!!!

We like a full 48 hours vomit clearance before we will welcome such a family into our presence and I have been known to cast a harsh glance or two when I hear that someone has brought their child to church who, "threw up last night".

That is just wrong.

Sounds harsh, but everyone knows the havoc it causes in a family, especially when you have little ones.

I e-mailed you a couple of "fro-up" posts of my own in case your bored and would like to read about someone else's upchuck woes!

Take care and buy stock in hand sanitizer ;)

Jenny said...

Oh, rats. I was hoping that wasn't the reason we hadn't seen a new post in a few days. I'm so glad that you all are on the mend. May it be a very long time before you have to endure that again!! Blessings on you!

Jessica said...

Oh... sooooo sorry that y'all have had to endure it! We've had it since Sunday and it is just the pits! I hope you are all back to 100% soon! (esp. you!)

Deidre said...

So glad you are feeling better, Erin. Oh my goodness, that sounds awful! I had a terrible stomach virus when I was pregnant with O that landed me in the hospital because of dehydration. It's no fun being that sick, but certainly not pregnant.

You're right - it was much easier when our Moms were there to take care of us!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

That sounds MISERABLE! At least you're over the worst of it. Take it easy, Erin. You need your rest.

picturesofhisgrace said...

Sorry you guys have been so sick. I am glad you are better.

Kelly said...

Ugh! I truly think the stomach virus is the worst part of mommy-hood!So pitiful to see your babies so sick, and so hard to take care of them when you want to crawl under a rock and die.

Glad you are all on the mend:-)

Sunshine said...

Oh I can SO relate - I am so sorry you guys were so sick - praise Him you are feeling better and for sweet friends to help you through it! Sunshine

Tiffany said...

So sorry to hear you've been feeling under the weather. Being sick still makes me long for my momma as well. I see (from your first pic) that your son has a silky lovey blanket too. My son can't go to sleep w/ out his. It is a real comfort! Blessings and good health!

Girl Raised in the South said...

There is nothing as miserable as having the flu, unless it's having the flu while everyone else does too. The only time I EVER called for help, I phoned my mother to come get Sarah while I just laid on the sofa, to sick to move. The grace is that it moves quickly - in and out the door thank the Lord! Glad to hear you're all feeling much better.

Sarah said...

Friends like Deana B don't come often in one lifetime--if I were closer (say, in the same state!) I'd have helped her out--Bridget has done the same for me before, and it makes life much sweeter :)

I miss you, sweet friend.

Mary Jo said...

So sorry to hear of that horrible tummy virus! Found your blog via Jenn @ Munchkin Land. Congrats on your new addition! Love your blog!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved