Saturday, September 01, 2012

A Small Taste of Life...

The days are long, but the weeks are flying by!  This school year has a different feel to  it, but I think I like it!  For the first time I am beginning a homeschool year without first trimester nausea.  Hallelujah!  This is a glimpse into the last few weeks...

Eriky has grown...


Actually, he and Elijah came up with the idea to do this on their own.  They called me into the living room to show me how Eriky had grown several feet in just a few minutes!  Cute!

Our school table in the mornings...


Somedays I just look down at the table cluttered with books and manipulatives, and I just smile!  I love this kind of mess!  It's a happy mess!

The boys have journals they write and draw in.  What does Eriky draw every single day without fail??  A monster.  I have literally 15+ pages of pictures of monsters with teeth and crazy eyes and eyebrows...



I've done this same curriculum with several of the boys, but for the first time this year, I AM NOT  THE ONLY GIRL in the family!! :-)


Elijah's journal is a different story.  He does not draw monsters.  Here is a sweet sampling...





Seven years ago I sent Erik into Books a Million for one item ~ The Complete Collection of Beatrix Potter Tales.  He came out with several books, and this was one of them...


I have loved this book!  Elijah and I are now reading through it.  I have already gotten so much use out of this book, and it has become priceless to me!  I love the pictures and the sweet little stories.  It takes me back to my past ~ simple sweet stories of brothers and sisters playing. I remember reading these stories with my mom.  I love it so much!  I remember fussing at Erik for spending so much money in Books a Million that night!  But, now I am so thankful he did!


I remember marble painting when I was a child.  So, I pulled out a bag of marbles and let the boys try it out!  Fun!


Jack is a climber!  When I found him up here one day, Eriky had a simple suggestion to help me out...


"Mommy, why don't we just get a really big mean dog and put him on the table.  That will scare Jack and keep him off the table!"

Ummm...

Not thinking a vicious dog in my kitchen sounds like a good plan!

Another happy table pic, :-)


The boys were trying to prepare Eriky for his first day at Excelsior.  They told him that if he didn't obey the teacher, he would have to go see the headmaster (a.k.a. the headMONSTER!).  Now, the dads take turns being headmasters ~ each dad signs up for one Friday a year.  These are very sweet men, not scary monsters!  This was the look on Erik's face when they explained the headmaster...


And, last but not least, afternoon read aloud time, my favorite time of the day, often ends with this little one asleep in my lap!


Loving these crazy days!  Thankful for the quiet moments that come every once in a while!  Just makes me appreciate them all the more!  The crazy mess of toys, chipped baseboards, and loud voices will not be here forever!  I'm trying to appreciate them today!  Thank You, Jesus, for all the ways You use these little ones to stretch and grow me and make me more like You!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like lovely days.

Roan said...

You are a wise mama to savor and enjoy the days. The chaos and mess and all. I am trying to learn this lesson....again. My first week and a half of school were stress-filled, but I had a reality check about halfway through the second one. I am slowing down and just doing one thing at a time...and making sure I love on my children.
I always enjoy reading your blog. You are a good writer, and I always leave encouraged and inspired.
Thank you!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved