Sunday, April 05, 2009

Please Say a Prayer. . .


After the first performance of our Easter Musical this past Saturday night, we received some bad news. Erik's parents were in New Orleans at the seminary, and as they crossed the street in front of the seminary campus at a crosswalk, a car hit them and injured them severely. We'd appreciate your prayers.

Erik's Daddy has two broken legs, a deflated lung, some blood on his brain, and a cervical fracture. But, the one who needs your prayers most urgently is his mama. She has a herniated brain stem, and is not responding to anything except pain at this point. Please keep them in your prayers and Erik and Jason, too. Pray for strength and peace and patience and healing. . .

Erik's brother called to give us the news late Saturday evening. He and his family had just left our home Saturday morning after a fun filled week of play with 8 children under one roof! They were almost home when they got the news. So, poor Jason had to turn around and drive another 11 hours to New Orleans after he drove nearly 12 hours back to Florida earlier that day.

The most amazing thing to me is that in the midst of this horrible situation God has made Himself real and present through friends, friends who are like family. Take for instance, Sterling, our neighbor, who when he heard about Erik's parents called us and offered his company's plane to Erik. Erik took him up on the offer of a quick flight to New Orleans, and when Sterling heard that Erik would be traveling alone, he went with Erik. When they arrived in New Orleans, he had a car waiting for them at the airport, and he drove Erik to the hospital and stayed for a while. And, then there is Kevin, who drove 8 hours from Northwest Georgia to be with Erik. And, Sean stayed behind and played Jesus in tonight's Easter Musical performance so that the show could go on. And, Chris and Becky who met Jason and Jen on their way home from our house. Chris drove the 11 hours with Jason, so Jason wouldn't have to go alone, and Becky got Jen and her crew the rest of the way home safely. And, then there are all the seminary families who have gathered to support Erik and Jason and their parents.

But, the thing that has touched me personally the most is the outpouring of love we have received from our community and our church. Good heavens, within a few short hours word spread from one corner of our little town to the other. In a matter of hours, we received phone calls from everyone ~ from the lady who cleans our home to Joshua's teacher to our hairdresser and on and on. Our church has an average attendance of like 300. And, I guarantee you that at least 150 of the 300 have called or contacted me in some way today. The family of God is a good thing, a really, really good thing.

Also, please pray for my children and my nieces and nephew. Some of them are too young to understand, but some of them are not. My Joshua's sweet little dam broke tonight, and he cried and cried. He misses his Daddy, and he saw his Daddy cry and that is bothering him. Please pray that Jen and I will have wisdom to know how best to talk about all this with them.

Thank you so much.

45 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't think I've commented more than a couple of times but I read faithfully. You are such an inspiration to me as a young mom and I was truly saddened while reading your post tonight.

I pray that the Great Physician will heal Erik's parents completely. May the Lord provide all of you with a peace that can only come from His hand.

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

I will continue to be praying for all of you during this difficult time.

Jenny said...

Oh, Erin. I am so, so sorry to hear about their accident. Please know that you all will be in my prayers.

Christi said...

We will be praying.

dee said...

Praying for all of you in NC.

Sunshine said...

Oh bless your sweet heart. I will absolutely be praying. Sunshine

Sarah said...

Oh, Erin! I am so sorry to hear about this! I remember Erik and Jason's parents from your wedding, and they are heavy on my mind today. I called Chris to let him know, too, and we'll be praying for all of you. I love you, sweet friend, and wish I could be there to help! Please update as you can.

Deidre said...

Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear about Erik's parents. The body of Christ is amazing and I'm so glad to hear so many are serving your family during this time. Please know that I am praying!

picturesofhisgrace said...

It was so good to hear your sweet voice this morning. I can't begin to imagine what you all are going thru right now. We have asked everyone to pray for Erik's parents, Erik and Jason. But I have also specifically asked them to pray for you and Jen, and the kids. I know you both feel like you need to be with your husbands, but the kids need you too. I pray the Lord will give you the wisdom you need and that He will provide you with comfort and peace that only He gives. Our family loves your family dearly and our hearts ache for what you are having to go thru. We love you!

KM said...

Oh my....my prayers will be diligent and steadfast. Grateful you feel His presence during this time.

Kristi in Texas

Sitesx6 said...

I'm here from IN THE MIDST OF IT, and Sarah asked for prayer on behalf of your family.

I just prayed and will continue.

God's peace and comfort to you all.
Kelly

Faith said...

Praying for your family during this difficult time!

Ami said...

I read your blog faithfully and rarely take the time to comment. But as I read this post this morning, I teared up immediately for you and your entire family. I'm praying for all of you.

B said...

Popped over from Sarah's blog and was surprised to see it's you....I followed your blog for quite awhile..did not realize the connection.

Many prayers for you family.

Stephanie said...

I don't comment often but I keep up with your blog through bloglines. Please know that I am praying for Erik's parents, your family, and Jason's family.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I am praying, praying, praying.

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Praying for you today! I called my mom and she and the ladies at the Center are praying too. I am so sorry this has happened.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Erin, I am so very sorry to hear of your in-laws. Please know that I'll be on my knees in praying for healing, peace, and strength.

Please keep us posted...

Linda said...

Sweet Erin,
I have been reading but haven't commented in a long time.

Please know that I will be praying for all of you. I pray for healing and for God's presence to fill their hospital rooms. For peace, grace and strength for all of you.

Love and hugs,
Linda

Jenna said...

Erin, I am praying for your sweet family and especially for your in-laws!! Lord, be near!

FaceforGrace said...

Erin, I am saying a prayer and will continue to pray. Please let me know if there is anything I can do- I live only about 60 miles from New Orleans. I would be more than willing to help out in any way possible if Erik or anyone needs anything at all.

Please keep us updated.

Debra said...

You don't know me, but I am lifting you all up in prayer....each one of you. I've been there and know that God will guide you and comfort you and your family through this.

Sending prayers from TX

Paige said...

Erin, I am praying for each of you. Will check in often to see if there is any update.

Tami said...

Praying for your family.

Sam said...

Erin,

I am so sorry about this awful news. Please know that I am praying for Erik's parents, as well as for the rest of you.

Lori said...

I am so sorry for your news. Will be praying.

Amy said...

I am a friend of Jen and Jason. I began reading your blog back when Jen started her blog and linked to you. I just wanted you to know that your entire family has been and will continue to be in my prayers. I pray that God's peace and love will be with you all as you endure this incredibly difficult trial. I am also praying specifically for you and Jen as you take care of and answer the questions of your sweet children.

Amanda said...

Praying for your family from CA, oddly we just moved from LA a couple of weeks ago. I am a lurker on your blog and I love it. Know that you entire family is in our prayers.

Kimberly said...

praying here across the miles Erin.May the Lord restore complete health to both parents and amaze us all with His ability to heal. Praying He pours out His blessings,mercy and grace on your whole family.

In Christ,
Kim

Polly said...

Praying for your sweet family.

AnnG said...

Sarah sent me....I'm praying for you and your family....Please let us know if you need anything else!

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

I heard via Sarah from In the Midst of It....praying for God's mercy, healing, and comfort through this time. His hand is there.

Blessings
Bella (California)

Lisette said...

Erin, I am praying for you and your family.
Blessings,
Lisette

Kim said...

What a shock to hear this! Oh, Erin we will add Erik's parents to our prayer list and plea with God during this trial.

I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you and Erik and your precious boys but I trust His perfect grace is present. Keep us posted as you can and know that His provision is at work.

Pam said...

Praying for your families.

And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
Psalm 9:10

Trust that God is there that is his promise.

melanie said...

sarah sent me to your site. i want you to know that i join in prayer! grace & eace, melanie martin

Mississippi Girl said...

I am so, so sorry!!!! I am praying for y'all...

Mary Jo said...

Hi Erin
I've never commented on your blog (or at least I don't think I have) but I am faithful reader and enjoy your posts.

I am so sorry to hear about Erik's parents accident. They are in our prayers here in Charleston, SC - along with the entire family.

Much love,
Mary Hess

Sara said...

Erin, I am praying even now for your family. For wisdom for the doctors, for a healing miracle if that is God's will, for patience and perseverance as you face this trial. And I am praising God with you that His body, the church, has risen up to minister to you during this time. He is good!

Paula said...

So very sorry...I will pray for you all involved. The doctors and wisdom. Children and their pain.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home said...

Came from In the Midst of It and will be praying.

Trudy said...

We will pray for you! (Came from In the Midst of It)

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

I was forwarded this from a friend. My hubby is a student at NOBTS and works in the office with the guy who called 911. Just wanted to let you know we and the rest of the seminary family are praying for their healing and your peace as a family. If you get a chance, please post an update on how they are doing.

Much love!!!

Barb said...

My niece Sarah led me here, Erin. I'm so, so sorry. Please know that I'm praying, for them and for all of you.

Terri in AZ said...

Lifting your whole family up to the Father. Blessings,
Terri in AZ

Lori said...

I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Praying for all of you!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved