Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I love a rainy day!

Ahhh!! It is rainy outside, and it is not just sprinkling. . . No, it is my favorite kind of rain. You know those afternoon thundershowers with distant rolling thunder and calm soothing, soul cleansing rain. I am at peace. I don't like violent storms with scary lightening. We lived in Florida for one year, and it was that year that I developed a healthy fear of lightening.

Today's kind of rain is ideal. It started rainy as we finished our lunch. By the time I got the boys upstairs to put them down for their naps, the rain and rolling thunder had begun and it was almost as dark as night in their rooms. I sang to both boys at the same time today. Holding James Christofer, I sang standing beside Joshua's bed where he lay, eyes closed, under the covers. It was perfectly peaceful, a soothing prelude to sleep. And, now that they are asleep, I am enjoying a cup of hot coffee with French Vanilla Creamer, of course, in front of my computer. Does life get better than this? For me, this is a dream afternoon.

I don't know why I love rainy days so much, but for as long as I can remember, I have. I tend to be a little Type A, so maybe it is simply that I don't feel compelled to overachieve on rainy days. I am content to sit back and enjoy the sound of the rain and thunder. Some of my favorite memories of Joshua's first year are of sitting on the front porch rocking him to sleep while it rained. Rain does something to my soul. It awakens a peace within me. It makes me slow down and rest. I rarely go out on rainy days - with children that is just a messy experience I avoid if at all possible. So, rainy days are slow, stay at home days, and I love them!

We have a large pond in our back yard, and I love to watch the raindrops hit the top of the water. At first when it is just beginning to rain, each drop causes ripples on the pond. Then, as the rain pours down the pond erupts into millions of small splashes covering nearly every inch of the pond. Our home is surrounded on three sides by woods, so I love to watch the rain and wind move the through the trees. And, for some reason the deer and turkey come out when it is raining. My boys love to watch the wild animals walk through our backyard.

I promise, I am not a depressed or lonely person, but I do love rainy days. Like a dry plant, something about the rain revives me, and it just feels good. My boys love the rain, too. But, this is because I let them play in the puddles outside the front door from time to time. This is a win/win situation. They get to splash and play together while I get to rock, relax, and enjoy the rain.

On a lighter note, Joshua informed me of a weather phenomenon that I was not previously aware of. . . This morning he informed me that rain was "when God tinkles." I tried to explain to him that God was spirit, and He doesn't have to tinkle. . . but I don't think he got it.

16 comments:

Sarah said...

Erin, I LOVE a gray, rainy day in the summer! And the sound of front porch rockers, thunder, and deer in the woods sounds heavenly. I wonder if the Lord has a spot like that in heaven for us? We could rock together:)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
boomama said...

Welcome, Miss Erin - I'm so tickled that we've already "met." I love a good summertime rain - and I spent many afternoons rocking A. to sleep on my front porch. Sweet memories, no doubt.

Melissa Stover said...

it's nice to meet you and welcome to blogging. looks like you know exactly what you're doing already.

you can find me at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/chickadee

Big Mama said...

I am with you, there is nothing like a rainy afternoon. The smells, the sounds...it's just cozy and comforting.

Tammy said...

Hi Erin! I, too, love the rain and my favorite place for it to rain is at the beach. To me there is nothing more peaceful and soothing than to be inside looking out over the beach as it rains. I enjoyed reading your posts and like you, I am new to this blogging thing! I have enjoyed it for a couple of months as a reader and finally got up the nerve yesterday to launch my own blog (with encouragement from Boomama and unknowingly from A Chelsea Morning). I have been reading Sarah's blog and through hers, other members of her family and Boomama. I originally found them through Lisa Whelchel. What fun it has been getting to know people who live all over the US and how wonderful to realize there are so many Christian women just looking to share the experience of raising a family in this crazy world. Even better is knowing that God holds each of us in His hand and with the assurrance of His grace, we can look forward to whatever the future holds with the confidence of the One who knows how it all began and who wins in the end.

Stephanie said...

Rainy afternoons are so comforting! Especially when they include coffee and the computer. :) Welcome to blog-world! :)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I live in Bay, Arkansas, about 5 miles south of Jonesboro. It's been gloomy here all day, but no rain. I love a slow steady rain, too. You can almost see nature drinking in the water and being refreshed.

Here by way of Sarah, and BooMama and Big Mama are good blogging friends, too. :-)

Linda said...

Hi Erin,
I come via Sarah's blog. It is nice to meet another new blogger. I've only been at this a short while, but I do love it. I have "met" some of the most wonderful women.
I know what you mean about the rain. I love a dark stormy day, a cup of tea and a good book. Heaven. We got rain today too - an answer to prayer. We have been without rain for 37 days with temperatures in the triple digits for weeks. It was so good to see the heavens open up. God is so good.
When you get more experienced and figure out how to do all the other neat things on your blog that everyone else does - let me know. I haven't got a thing on mine!! I did order a book; it is in; I'm going to try my best. If I have any success (I'm really not optimistic about my computer skills improving) I'll share.
Welcome. I think the Lord has directed us all to this special place.

Paula said...

Oh, I just LOVE summer rains also. It is so very peaceful. THe whole dark outside is not half bad for nap time either!!! Oh, how I LOVE a good cup of coffee!! That also is peaceful to me.

Girl Raised in the South said...

God tinkles - man am I going to love coming here to read! Fun, fun....

Donnetta said...

Here from Sarah's. I have read your posts and will definately be back!

Your post about "our cups" really touched my heart. My cup hasn't seemed to taste so good lately. Good to be reminded God is not leaving me to drink it alone!! This has ministered to me in ways you will never know!! Thanks!

Cheryl said...

I like those soft all-day long rains too. I never thought of it like this until your blog. Maybe I do enjoy them because I don't feel pressured to do anything that day, that I can be as productive as the gentle rain and no one will be disappointed, not even myself. There is something too about the slight darkness outside and lights being on in the house even though it is daylight.
My husband, though, is one of those who does not like rainy days at all. He would just as soon stay in bed.

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Give me a rainy afternoon, a latte, and a pot of beans simmering on the stove...

KatieBug said...

I love a good summertime shower. Especially when right before it starts, the humidity is so thick you could cut it w/ knife. But after a good rain, it's nice and cool almost crisp...signaling fall is right around the corner. Aaahhh.

Shawna said...

Oh, rainy days like this are my favorite! They do wash over me like you said about the plant. We have had some MUCH NEEDED rain lately (we've been under a burn ban), and it has made it all the sweeter. I watched the rain hit and splash the water in our little backyard pool. There is nothing like a porch swing and rain.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved