Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Giver of All Good Surprises

Last week God gave Erik and I a little surprise. It was on a stick, a little purple and white stick, the kind with two windows. Do you know where I am going with this? The kind of stick where one line means negative and two lines means your life is about to change forever, never to be the same again, ever, never, ever again.


But, that is a good thing. It is always a good thing if you ask me. And, we are rejoicing over this little one - this little tiny 5 mm long one.


But, whoever said that breastfeeding is good birth control really didn't know what he was talking about - I am going to assume it was a he that said that, anyway. Elijah is still not taking solids, and I am feeding him like a newborn. It just doesn't make sense that I could get pregnant- except that this was absolutely, undoubtedly God's will for our family.


I had a funny suspicion starting about a week before I took the test that I might be pregnant, but I was in denial. I kept telling myself that there was NO WAY I could be pregnant!!! After all...


#1 I am breastfeeding Elijah ALL THE TIME. He still isn't doing well with solids, so I am having to nurse him every 2-3 hours all day long and two times at night.


#2 Erik and I have always TRIED to get pregnant. And, sometimes that trying has taken many months.


But, I was feeling a little queasy, and I felt a bit of round ligament pain upon standing up the other day, and coffee just wasn't tasting good to me! I tryed to ignore these symptoms, but they just weren't going away! This all began on Monday. By Thursday I was nearly convinced that I was pregnant, and I had a HARD day with the boys. And, I almost started crying because I just had a feeling another one was coming, and how would I manage when I'm not even doing well with 3 children? Add a baby, and I just might feel the need to run away from home!


And, if you are wondering why I didn't just run out and take a test in the middle of the week, just think about it. Imagine with me if you will. . .


Erin running into Wal-Mart, make-up worn off, baggy, tired eyes, and two very excited little ones running along side me, and a baby on my hip. Then, we would have to make our way to the aisle. Elijah would be fussing in the front of the buggy, JCT doing cartwheels in the back of the buggy and Joshua skipping alongside the buggy. I would then have to grab the test while women all around me whispered and stared. "Does she not know what causes that?" And, then I would have to brave the check-out line. The cashier would undoubtedly try to figure out how old Elijah was, obviously not old enough to walk, etc. And, as she handed me my receipt and my item-in-bag, she would look on me with great pity.



No, ma'am, not going to do it. I decided to wait until Erik got off work on Friday, and then I ran off by myself and bought the test. And, by this time, I wanted it to be positive.

I really wanted it to be positive.

Isn't that just like a woman?


So, I ran in my little small town Wal-Mart hoping that no one I knew would see me, bought the test, and drove home.


I opted for the long way home, the long way through town. And, as I drove toward the house, I drove into the most amazing sunset. The sky was all shades of red and orange, and I was overwhelmed. Playing on my CD player was a song that I have come to love so much - "What can I do?" by Paul Baloche. I turned up the volume and sang my heart out to the Lord. I told Him that positive or negative I was so incredibly blessed by Him, and I thanked Him. It was one of those times with the Lord that is so intimate that it is hard to come back to reality. It was hard to get out of the van and walk into my home. I felt so distant, so out of this world. But, with three wild and crazy boys and Elijah, too, it didn't take me long to get my feet planted firmly back on the sod of earth.


As Erik bathed the boys, I went downstairs to our bathroom to take the test, and of course, it was instantly positive!! I praised and thanked God for this little surprise. Trying to hide my silly little grin, I stuck that cute little stick in my purse and headed upstairs to help Erik. We had a babysitter coming in a few minutes, and then he and I were off to meet his brother and Jen in a town about an hour and a half away. We had so much time to talk on the way!!



I waited until we were on the road for a little bit to tell him. There were butterflies in my tummy. I didn't know if he would be excited or overwhelmed or what. So, I told him that I had something to say that would make for some interesting conversation on our drive. With his elbow resting on the door of the car and his hand propping up his head, he asked, "What is it?"

I said, "Well, I think we are going to have another baby."

He was stunned.

Completely. Wholeheartedly. Stunned.

Thankfully, he smiled, and said, "What did you just say?" I caught him completely, 100% off guard. He never dreamed this was coming. In fact, he said that in the last week he had told at least 6 people that we were going to wait at 2 years and then, maybe, we would have a fourth child - because that was our plan.

But, God had a different one.

And, that is what we talked about the whole drive there and the whole drive back. God chose to give us a child when we least expected it, and that is fun and exciting and special and neat! And, I feel certain that He will give us everything that we need to take care of 4 children - 5 years old and under!!!

And, so here are the details. The sweet little one is due August 28th. Elijah and the new little babe will be 16 months apart! And, I am 8 weeks pregnant right now.

So, there you have it - our little gift from the Giver of all good gifts and of all good surprises!

47 comments:

Fresh Girl said...

Oh Erin, what wonderful news!! Congratulations!! God is so good, isn't He? :)

Big Mama said...

Congratulations Erin! What a happy surprise!

Jenny said...

Oh, how awesome!! I've been reading your blog for a while now and you are one of the neatest moms!! I had my 4th child in April of last year, and I have loved having 4. It's busy, but so good!! I'm very excited for you. Congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! How exciting! That date in August is gonna get here so fast, but probably not soon enough. :)
My mom had 4 kids 5 and under... my oldest brother was exactly 5 1/2 when my younger brother was born. I'm sure it's a hard job for the mom, but it sure is fun as one of the kids!

Kim said...

My heart just swelled when I read this! I don't even know you, but it always blesses me when I hear that someone is expecting.

I am set to deliver my 4th next week and we couldn't be more excited!

Congratulations on the most sweetest gift from God!

Christi said...

Congratulations!!!

When I read Thursday's post - I wondered myself if you might be pregnant; only because I always feel just like you described yourself as feeling.

Congratulations, again!

Ami said...

Congratulations!

Deidre said...

Wow, Erin! Wonderful news!!!

I must tell you one of the last paragraphs made me gasp a little - 4 children 5 years and younger... Amazing!

But, you know. God makes no mistakes and He has every confidence that you can handle it. I know you can get overwhelmed at times, but you are such a good Mommy. What a gift for you and your family (and that sweet new baby).

You are in my prayers!!

Jessica said...

Congrats! Ours are 14 1/2 mo apart and it's crazy at times, but it is so fun!

jeni said...

Oh Erin, I'm so happy for you guys! You're an awesome mother. I wish all the blessings upon your little family. My younger two kids are 18 months apart, and everyone asks me if they're twins! It's kind of fun for them. :)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Congratulations. If your posts are any indication, this baby as well as your three boys, are tremendously blessed.

Sam said...

De-lurking for the first time to say Congratulations! I love your blog and am very happy for you and your family! Four is great!

Manda said...

Hi, Erin. I'm delurking here. My hubby and I are expecting our first baby -- due just a few days before your newest addition. Though this is a planned pregnancy, I've really been struggling emotionally with it. I've actually been reading your blog for encouragement with my pregnancy, so imagine my surprise this morning when I read your happy news. I'm sure God must have orchestrated all of this. I'm looking forward to following your pregnancy here.

HW said...

Congratulations on your blessed news! The happiest days are when babies arrive.
My mother had 4 in four years. She says having four was much eaiser than she thought it would be.
I always wish we'd had more children - so I would tell any young couple to go for it. I'm very happy for you.

Gretchen said...

Erin - I've read your blog for a while and never commented. After this latest blog I just had to write. Congratulations! I, too, have 4 children and they were 5 and under. They're all girls and they're now 9,7,5 and 4. It's been great having them so close together. They always have a playmate and they're all the best of friends. There are hard days but the rest outweigh them by far. My last two were 1 day shy of being 14 months apart. And my last daughter was born on August 28. Isn't that funny? Again congratulations - you're going to love it!

Living to Love said...

CONGRATS! I am currently linking to your Homemaker post (I hope you don't mind) and I read your wonderufl news! So exciting! I have been reading your blog for about a year and a half and found you through In the Midst of It. I really enjoy your perspective on all things God & Family. My husband and I are currenlty in the processing of adopting and I soak up all of the inspiring posts from mothers who are already "in the trenches!" Thanks again! I will keep you and your growing family in my prayers!

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

Erin, so excited for you! I have followed your journey with Elijah because I also have a new third baby - my Micah is just 10 months old! I'm so impressed with your positive attitude, not sure how I would react if I found out I was pregnant again. I did have a scare a few months ago, and although I was thrilled at the thought of another baby, I was tired at the thought of another baby, if you get what I mean. :) I will be lifting you up in prayer. You are such a sweet momma. I learn so much from you, in every single post. :)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh so happy, happy, happy! I literally jumped up and did a little dance with the kids. I am So happy for you guys. Four kids... it is wonderful, I promise you. My sisters and I are all really close in age and best friends because of it!

Congratulations Erin! What a wonderful news!

Donnetta said...

Mine are 17 months apart. I was in utter shock and disbelief initially (like you I was still nursing)... but wounldn't trade them for the world!

So excited with and for you! Congratulations!!!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Congratulations Erin! Those are the best kind of surprises, aren't they?

Lori said...

Erin I am rejoicing with you, this is God's blessings!!!! How awesome.

Sara said...

Welcome little one. We can't wait to meet you.

Tara Lee said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you!

Jen said...

Congratulations Erin! God will meet all of your needs and cares about every detail of our lives! Can't wait to "meet" baby #4:)

Casey said...

Congratulations!! That is a great surprise!! :)

Renee said...

Congratulations! It's been a while since I've commented...maybe sinc your baby was born and we were about to have #5. We've had a few surprises along the way too, but you're right, God does provide in ways we cannot even comprehend. Our oldest just turned 6 a few weeks ago, so I know what's it's like when they are all close. It's hard, but it's fun. And we, too, have all boys, and I would not trade my life for anything! Happy pregnancy!!

Linda said...

Congratulations to all of you Erin!

Kim said...

Congratulations, Erin! That is absolutely wonderful news! I am just so happy for you!!!

God's plans are so great and what a gift from Him to bless you again with a baby on the way...

God bless you as you carry this child! I'll pray for you.

Kim

Alison said...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! God's surprises are always the BEST!!!! Praying for rest, and energy as you love the three and the one to come!

Terri said...

That is SO wonderful!
Aren't your two older ones close in age too? Forgive me if you had already said it. :)
So very sweet.

Sharon said...

Congratulations! My 4th was born around the same time as your Elijah, and he too was a sweet surprise. My oldest turned 6 a week after #4. Life is busy, but I wouldn't change. You are such a sweet mom; you'll do great!

Elizabeth said...

I don't think I've ever commented, but I had to today. I am so happy for you. I can omly imagine that you'll love and cherish this one just as much as you do your three boys. You've been a true encouragement to me and I know many other women. God Bless!

Sarah said...

I was thinking about you again today, hoping all was going well. I just got goosebumps, all over again, reading your post.

Isn't ck's comment so sweet? Think how much fun your four are going to have growing up, so close in age! (That's what I tell myself about my own three, all the time. I'm hoping it works!)

I love you to pieces, sweet Erin, and I'll call you tomorrow to check on you. I hope the queasies are under control!!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I found you through Deidre's blog..what perfect timing for me. I LOVE to hear about the blessed gift of a precious little one. Just so you know, though I never had four little ones under five, I do have four little ones who are not so little anymore. You will get through these days and months, I pray not too quickly. They are as much a blessing as the easier older years, or should I say more sleep filled years...

May God bless you every step of the way...

Joanne

This Journey of Mine said...

How wonderful! God is such a good life giver!!!Congrats.

Amy said...

That is fantastic news! Congratulations to you and your sweet family!

Sunshine said...

Oh PRAISE GOD! Congratulations! I don't know you personally but I love your blog and the little glimpses I get of your heart and OH that is AMAZING news! Sunshine

KM said...

ANother poster commented that after THursday's post she thought you might be pregnant! So did I! Then I knew when I checked today that it would an announcement. God has big plans for your family. Even without knowing you, and I think I may never have even posted here before, I can feel the air ripe with promise for what He has in store for your family. Praise the Lord.

Fun With Five said...

Congratulations, what a blessing.

PartyofFive said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise. While I only had 3 in 4 1/2 years, with last two being 20months apart, I will say that it has been wonderful!

Liz Ferguson said...

Hi Erin! I've been reading your blog for awhile now but have never commented. I so enjoy your perspective and seeing your love for your family...It is an encouragement to me.

I can relate to this post so much (although my little ones are a tad bit older then yours 6, 4,and 20 months). The Lord decided to surprise us with baby #4, which is due in the next month. It was not what we had planned, but what a blessing! I felt overwhelmed and yet humbled at the same time that God would give us such a gift.

Anyway, congratulations on baby #4! That is so wonderful. I look forward to reading more of your journey.

God bless!
Liz

FaceforGrace said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful news!

Holly

FaceforGrace said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful news!

Holly

Mrs. C said...

Wow! Congratulations!

I only recently was able to add you to my Google Reader...now I can actually keep up with what's going on.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Every baby is a precious gift - how blessed you two are! Another baby - wonderful, wonderful!

Rachel said...

Wow!! You are just like us....almost. Our kids are AJ- just 5 last Nov. JM -just 3 last Dec. our daughter Aria will be 2 in April, and little boy Grasshopper was born in August. The last 3 came every sixteen months...and I have a sneaking suspicion there might be another one coming. Congratulations by the way!!!

Rene42 said...

I'm happy for you as it you seem to be very good with children. My kids are 11 months apart. I love them dearly but I would cry if I had another one. God Bless You.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved