Monday, October 30, 2006

Worth rejoicing over. . .

It occured to me today how very much children need to be rejoiced over. A few weeks ago I began to notice some changes in my sweet 3 year old son's attitude. His words have been more negative, his actions more aggressive, and his temper more easily ignited. Being a very analytical girl, I began contemplating all of this. Why was he acting this way? And, then last night it hit me. . .

I think it was when he began dancing like a madman to a song on a Peanuts video. He was doing some very interesting dance moves - something resembling the Roger Rabbit mixed with a little Michael Jackson moonwalking, add a little Elvis hip movement - and then every now and then a little Madonna like pose that he would hold for a few seconds - Vogue. My husband and I were in stitches on the floor, laughing until the tears flowed. And, Joshua relished it. He loved it. And, that is when it hit me. . .

I have been so busy with the house renovation, with various phone calls and errands. I have been getting babysitters alot lately. And, in doing all this, I have not taken the time to stop and rejoice over this son of mine, and he needs it. He needs to know that he is the apple of my eye. He needs to be marveled over because he is the child God gave me. And, no matter how busy life gets, I cannot take that for granted. They (our children) are worth rejoicing over - over and over again. And, it is my theory that sometimes when they are acting the worst (and it is not easy to rejoice over them) - this is when they need to be rejoiced over the most. They need to know that we (who represent to them their heavenly Father) love them no matter how they act or how poor their attitude is. Now don't get me wrong. . . they must be corrected, but in their discipline they must know how great our love for them is. They need to know, to feel, how we rejoice over them - just because they are who they are - not for any other reason, nothing they have done. Simply put, I realized that I just need to follow the example that my Father set for me and all will fall into place.

". . . He will rejoice over you with singing. . . " Zeph. 3:17

9 comments:

Big Mama said...

This is such a great post and reminder of how we model God's love to our kids. Thanks Erin, for helping me remember to rejoice always, even when I'm in the midst of a battle of wills with a 3 year old.

Sarah said...

Erin, I love this! My own two boys need lots of "rejoicing" over lately, with a little measure of discipline thrown it--you'll see when you meet them! They are all-boy, but they're also amazing gifts!

Anonymous said...

Thanks I think I'll get off here now and go bake that pumpkin pie my little pumkin's been wanting to help me bake.

Linda said...

I am just amazed at your wisdom Erin. I believe it's true, that in our worst moments-it is a time we truly need to know we're loved. And just perhaps - we are "misbehaving" because somewhere deep down we need to know that love is still there no matter what.

Michelle said...

You put me in the pokey chair with this post. I am so bad about missing the moments - especially now that I seem to be on "full speed ahead" mode getting 3 children here and there. Thanks for the exaltation, I needed it. I love them so very much and how I can "miss it" is beyond reason. (((hugs))) and have a wonder filled day.

Deidre said...

What a great post, Erin. Our children are wonderful gifts worth rejoicing over. Thanks for the reminder.

Sounds like you need a 'Family Night' where your boys are the stars! :D

Jennifer said...

Wow! I really needed this reminder. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this... it is all too true.

Donnetta said...

OW... great reminder. Guess I know what I'll be doing tongiht. A bit of "rejoicing over".

Thanks for the gentle reminder and challenge!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved