Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You Will Still be My Baby



I think it is such a silly thing the way people call their youngest child "the baby." All of you are my babies, no matter how big you grow, you will all still be my "babies."

Sometimes I just stare at you, little man. You were not given the opportunity to be the youngest child for very long. You are just a week shy of fifteen months, and we are beginning the final countdown to your baby brother's birth. The thought of you in a "I'm a big brother" t-shirt makes my heart a little sad. I'm not even sure they make a t-shirt like that small enough to fit you! But, I know that I know that I know that the Giver of all good gifts has chosen to give you the gift of a baby brother, and that means that all is well and good and will be wonderful and blessed. And, what good friends you will be - so close in age! Just a few months more than a year apart! Just give him a year or two to catch up to you, and then your friendship will be so much fun!

I just want you to know how much I love you. I love you so much, little man. I tell you all the time. I tell you that I love you, and you just smile and laugh and continue playing, or you take it as a cue to go get another book for me to read to you. I tell you that my tummy is so big because your little brother, your new life-friend, is living inside me. And, I explain to you that one day he will come out and be with us, and you just smile at me and say, "Juss! Juss!"( translation - "Juice! Juice!"). You are clueless, sweet baby, absolutely, wholeheartedly without a clue. And, there is nothing that I can say or do to prepare you for the change that is coming.

But, if there is one thing that I know about you, it is that you are resilient. You are amazing, simply, totally, amazing. Nothing gets in your way, nothing stops you. You don't see yourself as the baby brother right now. You believe yourself to be as big as your big brothers. If they can do it, you want to try to do it. You are a tough cookie, little man. And, God gave you a power-packed personality. You are not to be looked over, no, not you. You make your presence known. It is just as your Daddy said to me this morning. He said, "If his little brother has half the joy Elijah has, then we will be doing okay!" You are a happy child, a joy to your Daddy and to me.

And, you are still my baby. And, when I give birth, you will still be my baby. And, when you are taller than me, you will still be my baby. And, I will always love you. You have my heart, little man. I love you so very much.

4 comments:

HW said...

Just today I said "I can't believe my baby boy will be 17 in just two weeks." I call him that all the time - but not where he can hear me.
My baby girl is 14, and oh yes, they are always our babies...
Can't wait to hear of the arrival of your new precious one.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes. My three children are all less than two years apart. I can remember looking at each of them and wondering how it could be possible for me to have another baby. Well, God knows what is best and I love to see my three little ones enjoy each other's company.

Sunshine said...

OK I have no idea where my comment went so if you get two from me I am sorry - I just wanted to tell you that I read your blog daily...I don't always comment - but always leave feeling blessed and encouraged! I will be praying for you as you await your new little guy's arrival! Sunshine

Jody said...

I just ran across your blog and I love it. I have 3 boys of my own, so I love hearing stories from mothers who are also raising boys. Congratulations on your 4th boy! Boys are so much fun. I hope you don't mind if I read your blog again and again.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved