Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Joshua's Challenge

Erik and I have been praying and talking for several weeks about a challenge to send Joshua off to kindergarten with. We have been discussing and praying about verses and words that God has placed on our heart to say to our little man.

I wanted Joshua to have something to take to school with him, something tangible, to remind him of this challenge. So, after we decide on the words and verses, I went to Lifeway in search of keychain to hang on his backpack. My sweet Deana B. sat in the parking lot with all the kiddos while I ran in to take a look. I hastily grabbed three different keychains without really looking deeply at any of them.

Later that evening, I pulled them out to show Erik in hopes that one of them would stand out and be "the one." And, guess what, one did. Erik immediately reached for the one shaped like a shield with a cross on it, and as he began to turn it over, I said, "I don't think it says anything on the back. I think they are all just plain. . ." And, as quickly as the words came out of my mouth, Erik revealed what was on the back. . .




Joshua 1:9.
It is our verse for our oldest boy. It is the verse I whisper in his little ear when he needs a little encouragement. His verse. The first verse he ever memorized. Perfect.
So, Erik and I looked at each other with wide eyes, and he said, "That's the one."
And, so it was. And, this morning we sent him off with his challenge and his little tangible reminder that God is with him wherever he goes. Mommy may not always be with him. Daddy may not always be with him, but God is always with him.
". . . for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. . ."

7 comments:

Jackson said...

We got the same one for Jackson his first year!!! I hope Joshua values his as much as my biggest boy valued his!

Christy said...

I really enjoy reading your blog but don't comment very often but I just wanted to tell you that this blessed my heart tremendously. What a beautiful reminder of how much God loves us...He is in the small things and the big things.


We have such an amazing God.


Blessings...

Lori said...

I don't think I've ever commented on your blog. I read it every day and love it. I get so much from reading your blog.

This is such a sweet post! I hope your son had a wonderful first day of kindergarten. I can't wait to hear about it! I love the keychain idea. What a blessing!

Mine will be headed to kindergarten next Wednesday. I definitely understand all the emotions!

May God bless your sweet family!
Lori

Christa Hagler said...

I read your blog regularly and I LOVE IT! I don't comment often but I couldn't resist. I have to sincerely thank you for all that you share of your heart, especially in the area of motherhood. I am also a mom of 3 and my oldest is starting Kindergarden in a few weeks. I can relate to how you feel and I just love this idea and the truth you sent Joshua off with. You are right...the Lord is always with us and with them even when we can't be. I think I may have to buy myself a key chain so I can remember that the Lord is with my little man. I do not have to worry or be afraid! This process is just as hard for me as it will be for him.

Deidre said...

Erin, yesterday I took my girls out for a quick lunch. At 1:15, you came to my mind. I wondered why and then remembered Joshua was starting school, which oddly enough I hadn't thought of unless I was reading your blog. Isn't that the strangest thing? I knew the memory had to be a prompting from the Lord, so my girls and I stopped and prayed for you and your family and of course, Joshua. It's so strange sometimes how the Lord works and puts others on our minds. I pray he had a peaceful day.

I love the idea of giving him something tangible to look at to remember the Lord is always with him. Just perfect!

Stacy said...

Wow. That is awesome. My daughter is 4 and 1/2 and I already worry about sending her to school next year. What a great idea this keychain is...a tangible reminder that there is a God in heaven watching over our children. I will definitely be doing this. It will bring comfort to her and to her mommy. Thanks!

Rae said...

Can I just begin by saying what an answer to prayer this post is? As we inch closer to school starting I have started feeling a bit anxious about sending my girls back. They are going into 2nd and 4th grades. They are getting big. That means bigger problems. Bigger temptations. I so love this idea. I have 2 weeks to come up with their personal challenges and reminders. Thank you so much for such an inspirational idea!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved