Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Landmark. . . or should I say a Watermark. . .




Joshua has taken swimming lessons off and on since he was 3, and he always takes from the same wonderful teacher, Ms. G. She is incredible - the perfect mix of fun and discipline, and the kids really learn alot.





Joshua is a great swimmer. He has never been afraid of the water, not one tiny bit. But, he has always had one problem. He won't put his head down when he swims. He likes to swim with his head up and a HUGE grin on his face - taking in all that good chlorine-filled water. He smiles from the moment she asks him to swim to her until the moment he touches the side of the pool again. He loves it, and I love watching it!! And, his sweet smile is contagious. He makes all the other parents watching class smile when they see his joy!

Erik, Ms. G, and I have tried everything to make Joshua put his head down. Nothing has worked. Last year I told him that if he swam half the length of the pool with his head down that I'd let him pick out an ice cream cake at Baskin Robbins. (We stop there for ice cream after each lesson.)


Well, folks, he did it. Yesterday he swam the whole length of the pool with his head down (most of the way, anyway). I was so excited for him!!! And, so we headed to BR, and he picked out his cake!!





So, here is my little fishy with his prize!! Oh, and if he looks young to you in the pool pics, it is because they were taken last summer.
Good job, big boy! I am one proud mommy!!

11 comments:

Kelli said...

What a great accomplishment! Go Joshua!!

Wendy said...

Great job! That is so exciting!

Is that cardboard on your table for your kids to color on? Looks like a great idea!

Linda said...

That's one smart little fishy. Great job Joshua. I know lots of big people who won't put their heads down in the water!!

Leah said...

That's no small feat! I'm glad he did it, and I'm glad you gave him an instant reward. Kids need that sometimes! Way to go, Joshua! =)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh how wonderful! That is so great! Devyn is also a little fish, and has no problem getting her face wet. In fact, we often have to pull her BACK from the deep end.

Congrats Joshua!! (And mama too!)

Michelle said...

WhoooHooo! Way to go!

Kim said...

Great job, Joshua!!!

Oh, I love his smile!

Kim

Deidre said...

Yay Joshua!

My E. cried hysterically during every lesson she had at the beginning of summer. She didn't want to put her head in the water, but we made her stick it out. Just this past week, she started swimming like fish. I was so proud of her.

I didn't think about an ice cream cake. That would've been a sure thing!

Girl Raised in the South said...

How I remember summer swim lessons. I used to tell them they had to take them til they could race me across the pool and win! xoxo

Paula said...

Wonderful job for little Joshua!! It is a blessing when they are not afraid of water.

The post below about your husband....VERY touching. Thank you for sharing such a aweet love!

Sara said...

You go Joshua!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved