Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Ramblings of a Tired Mama. . .

I feel a bit like rambling today which is actually the way that I feel everyday. Only today I actually have time to sit down and write my rambling thoughts as they come. . .

We are beginning to get into some sort of normal flow around here. I am feeling somewhat productive once again, and this life is beginning to once again feel like my life. It takes me several months after having a baby to get back into a good groove again. And, I love it when I finally get here because I appreciate "normal" life so much more!

We are getting out and going places again! This morning for the 3rd time I took my 3 youngest to Super Wal-mart for our big weekly grocery shopping trip (Which I cannot, between dog food, diapers, my favorite organic brands, Erik's 15 different kinds of cereal, etc., get out of that store for under $150. It just never happens, and I hate that!!!) Anyway, I have figured out that the best way to do it is to put Erik Daniel in the Bjorn, Elijah in the front of the cart, and to let JCT walk. We are a fun little bundle of merriment, I assure you! Most people smile at us and say, "How sweet!" Some people stop me and tell me that I remind them of themselves when their children were young. And, a small few give me an annoyed look when JCT accidentally gets in their way. And, when they do, I say a prayer and ask God to never let me forget how precious little ones are ~ even long after mine are grown.

And, there is this lady who works one of the registers up front that checks me out a lot. She had four boys, too, but hers are all in college now. And, she is beautiful to me. Not the kind of beautiful that is flashy or made up. She is the kind of beautiful that I aspire to be. She is natural but well kept, and she exudes a peaceful spirit. I don't even know her name, but I love her, and I will wait in line to get to chit chat with her while she checks out my groceries. The first time she checked me out the boys were fussy, and she understood, and she has occupied a special place in my heart since that day. . .

Anyway, we got home, and I was overwhelmed with all that there was to do in a short little bit of time ~ put groceries away (at least the cold ones), feed too hungry boys lunch ~ nurse another, and get boys down for naps before it is time to pick up Joshua at school, start a load of gentles, take out a patient dog & feed him, feed my own growling tummy, and on and on. . .

It is all about prioritizing and multi-tasking ~ they are the keys to my life right now.

Who needs what most.

So, I put Elijah in the high chair with applesauce and a spoon, then I put away the groceries. Then, I finished feeding Elijah and fed JCT. Then, I cleaned up Elijah and put him down to play while I nursed my sweet, ever patient baby. And, as I nursed him and my head spun with things that needed to be done before I could sit down and relax for a moment, I heard the voice of Elisabeth Elliot saying. . . "Just do the next thing, and when you finish that, then do the next thing." Goodness, I love her! And, I let myself relax for a moment and soak up some sweet baby time. Erik Daniel fell into a deep sleep as he nursed. All was peaceful and still until Elijah came bounding in the room with a huge grin and voice that shook the windows ~ not to mention the foul odor coming from his diaper ~ it alone could have awakened the dead! And, yes, Erik Daniel's peaceful slumber was disturbed! Ohhh, such is life. . .

Now two out of three are asleep, and JCT is water painting at the bar. Erik won't be home until late tonight, and my back already hurts. But, hey, Deana B is bringing me soup for dinner, and I am pumped about that! Thank You, God, for thoughtful friends, not to mention ones that can cook really well!!

I am so content with life right now. I love having little ones. The things that used to be struggles for me ~ the fact that they want to be where I am every second, the fact that they get up so early that I can't have alone time in the morning, the fact that I rarely get to sit still at nap time, the fact that I can't get out and go and do like I want to ~ they just don't bother me much anymore. If I have learned anything this year with Joshua in Kindergarten, it is that time flies, and what my mama used to always tell me is true. These days are only for a period of time, and then they are gone. forever. I'll never be a mom to little boys again once they grow up. And, they are growing. No matter how many times I beg them to quit and threaten to put bricks on their heads and such, they are growing at the speed of life, and there is not a thing I can do about it. So, now when they want me to sit down and watch TV with them, when they want to sit in my lap, or they want me to hold them, I am all over it! Joshua wants me to eat lunch with him at school, and I call a sitter ~ because my sitting with him at the lunch table will not always be the highlight of his day! But, it is now, and I am soaking it up!

Life is good. It is at times fast and furious. But, I am learning to love the chaos, and I feel certain that I will miss it when it is gone. The other night I was talking to my sweet mama, and as I was telling her about a few projects and things I have going on around the house, etc., she sighed and said, "You know, I told your Dad the other day that I miss home-making." And, I heard a little longing in her voice, and I felt it in my heart because we were made from the same mold ~ she and I. And, I, too, I am quite certain will miss loving, doting on, taking care of, spoiling, singing to, cooking for, baking for, and doing projects with my little ones. I am living it to the full, you all, because if one thing is for certain, it will not last forever. Good, bad, hard, easy, chaotic, peaceful, joyful, happy, crazy, wild, busy, fun, it will not last forever! Seize the day!!

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Thanks for your "ramblings." Although I *know* to cherish the moments with my little ones, it doesn't seem like I can ever be reminded too much. Hectic moments can squeeze out that view pretty quickly sometimes. I really appreciate your thoughts!

Tara Lee said...

I love this. Thank you!!!
Life is chaotic with four...and this was a gentle reminder for myself to enjoy these days.

FaceforGrace said...

I love your "ramblings", as you put it. Your heart is so precious- and contagious as well! I can't wait to add another little one to our family- no matter how much chaos it might bring!

Sarah said...

So true! I feel much the same, always one step behind in all the chores, but choosing those priceless moments with my kids instead. Isn't it such a gift that we can know NOW that this time will pass too quickly and live accordingly, instead of having regrets. Thanks for your "rambling", I've been encouraged!
Sarah

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

I love this precious post. Such a great reminder. You are so inspiring to read. Thank you!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

These were some excellent ramblings! You are so right about the time going so quickly. My youngest turned one today and I can't believe it!

AW said...

Erin, I am a FT working momma. And, while I don't like it and it is VERY hard, I too soak up every moment I can with my baby. I am coming to grips with the "this-is-what-God-has-for-me-now" reality. But I want very much to NOT look back in regret with not appreciating every available moment with my child. My parents, also FT workers, didn't spend much time with us as kiddos even when they had the chance. Today they are in their 60's with deep regret. (None of us are really close with our parents, thus neither are our children.) So I do everything I can to prevent myself from heading in their paths. How sad!

I love how God speaks to me through you sometimes. Thank you for that. For reminding me that life with little ones is so fleeting.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved