Monday, January 05, 2009

Warm Hearts, Cold Weather, and Magic Moments

Autumn is my favorite season. Hands down. The smell of pumpkin spice fills my home. The weather is getting cool and delicious, and the trees are downright beautiful. I love it. After months of the hot summer sun, I love feeling all warm and cozy in a home with the heat on. . .

Then comes Christmas. . .

It is wonderful and has a warmth all its own. The smells of cinnamon and goodies baking in the oven fill my home. It is delightful, and I wish it would last for months on end. But. . .

it doesn't.

And, after Christmas winter is somewhat void of warmth. The house is still warm, and the occasional snowy day makes for a cozy hot chocolaty like feeling. But, other than that January is simply cold. Period. There are no warm colors or smells that go along with January. I think of cool colors like pale blue and white when I think of January.

But, this January I am determined to make the month feel warm and cozy even if it is dreary and freezing cold outside our door.

My sister in law Cecilia suggested that I cut snowflakes out of white paper with the boys, and I think that I will do that. January is snowmen, snowflakes, and ice. And, we will be celebrating it this year. Doing our best to make it warm and cozy until I see those sweet daffodils peak their little heads up out of the ground declaring to all who see them that spring is near!!!

Today is the last day of my big boys' winter break. Tomorrow they go back to school, and I am dreading that. So, I woke up this morning ready to seize the day!! I let them sit around in their pjs and watch tv this morning. It was a relaxing and fun morning. I decided that any work I needed to do could wait until tomorrow. I was going to think of fun things for them to do!

We ended up at the swing set during Erik Daniel's afternoon nap. I had on my wool coat with the baby monitor in one pocket and my cell phone in the other. But, we weren't there long before it began to sprinkle.

My first inclination was to gather Joshua, James Christofer, and Elijah and head back to the house. After all, it was cold, and now it was wet. The sky was dreary white like it could snow or sleet at any moment.

But, instead of running indoors, we climbed up into the fort attached to our swing set. You would have thought I had taken them to Disneyland! They loved the sound of the rain on the roof! We watched the raindrops hit the pond's water while the boys played that they were pirates at sea caught in a storm. I sat back as if watching us from above and smiled.

There is a certain magic that overtakes me when for a brief second. . .

I see things through their eyes.

I hear the roaring waves, and the fort seems to sway as if being tossed back and forth by big waves. For a moment, I get it. I get them. And, something inside of me connects with them, and for a few moments, I am a little girl again with an imagination very much alive and free. It wasn't that long ago, you know. And, it is so funny how that childlike feeling comes over me every now and then, transports me back, and makes me much more fun in the present! Pure magic!

I don't know that they will remember it, but what a fun memory it is - at least for me! After a few minutes of adventure, we heard Erik Daniel cry on the baby monitor, and the deal is always that when we hear him, we all have to go inside! So, Joshua and JCT climbed down the ladder to get out of the fort. But, the only way Elijah can get down is the slide, so I put him on my lap and slid down the slide sacrificing my dry bottom for his safe descent. And, then we all ran like cold, wet, crazy people should run back to our warm safe haven, a.k.a. home sweet home.

The big boys drew pictures while I made coffee for me and hot chocolate for them. And, it was warm and cozy. Even though there wasn't cinnamon or pumpkins or Christmas decor any where in sight, still it felt warm and cozy!

Clink mugs with me and say, "Here's to January!"

I am determined to love you this year, you cold, dreary month, you. . . I mean, you warm, cozy month, you! :-)

P.S. I have two fun surprises for my crew this evening!! The boys and I are surprising Daddy with chocolate ice cream that we made with my new ice cream maker for dessert!! And, I am surprising my sweet sons by making white cheese dip to go along with our little Mexican dinner tonight! I can't wait! I've never made either of these things before, so I pray they turn out right and taste great!!!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

As mothers, God truely touches our hearts with such tender moments like these. What a blessing! It makes you feel young again. Well, I raise my cup of hot chocolate to you, as well. Here's to January! Blessings!

Shannon said...

Oh how I miss white cheese dip! I'm a missionary in Japan and there are no Mexican restaurants here! Could you possibly share your recipe for white cheese dip with me?? I really enjoy reading your blog. Even though I'm single with no kids, the way you live out your faith is an inspiration to me! Thanks!

Christi said...

What a fun Mama you are! And, I do believe they will remember. Even if they don't remember the specific event, I'm convinced that those collective memories of fun, happy times will stick with them into adulthood!

Presley said...

You always do such an incredible job of detailing events. I love the way you write! Thanks for these little posts that remind me to seize the moment with the littles!

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing. Yesterday, I was struggling with the January blues, especially with winter break ending. I want to learn to enjoy January as well! I just lit some candles to enjoy. Thanks for the challenge.

Amanda said...

it does sound truly magical! What a great memory. did your experiments turn out?


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved