Friday, April 23, 2010

The Sweetest Thing!!!

I am a believer in loving on my kiddos like crazy before I tuck them in their beds. I have never been one to just place my babes in their cribs or beds and walk out of the room ~ not that there is anything wrong with that! I just have my little routines ~ unique to each child. I scratch Lijah's head and sing to him. I hold Erik Daniel and sing to him. The big boys I just simply talk to and kiss and hug. But, when they were younger, I had special songs and a special way that I held them. I have done things a little different with each child. I just do what they like best ~ what seems to calm them the most, etc.

Anyway, today I was putting Elijah down for a nap when suddenly Elijah's sleepy face turned into a huge smile. I looked behind my back, and JCT was peeking through a crack in the bedroom door. I asked him to wait for me on the steps. When I left Elijah, I found JCT crying on the steps. I thought, perhaps, I had hurt his feelings???

So, we walked down stairs hand in hand, and I asked him why he was crying. He tried twice to tell me, but I couldn't make out his words for his crying. Finally, when we got downstairs, I sat on the ottoman and put him on my lap. I said, "Now calm down, and in a voice that I can understand, tell me why you are crying." And, he said words that made this mommy's heart cry. He said. . .

"When I was three, you used to hold me and sing to me, but now I am too big for you to hold me like that anymore!!!!"

Now, how many times has my heart yearned to hold Joshua or JCT the way I did when they were little?? It took me by complete surprise that he felt the same way!!!

So, I picked him up and cradled him with his big boy head laying on my left arm just the way I used to and rocked him for a few minutes.

And, he smiled. . . big time.

And, my left shoulder hurt. . . big time.

Man, do I love my big baby boy!!!!

A sweet moment and a sweet memory!

1 comment:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh Erin, I don't know if its the pregnancy hormones or not, but I got so teary reading this. Such a sweet, tender moment with your "little" boy. =)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved