Thursday, April 29, 2010

Interesting. . .

James Christofer Truett is an interesting kid. He is an interesting kid for a variety of reasons, but one of them sticks out more than the others. It started this year at school. There are a couple of boys in his class that like to give him things. By that I mean, they bring him gifts a lot. It all began with the spiderman backpack he came home with last fall. I informed the teacher that the backpack was not JCT's. She informed me that the owner of said backpack insisted that JCT have it. I was uncomfortable with it, but we took the backpack home ~ JCT smiling the whole way. Erik took one look at the backpack, asked whose it was, I told the story, and he, without hesitation, said, "Give it back tomorrow."

Since then he has been given dinosaurs, snakes, toy cars, a robot costume, etc. And, every time it happens, I just shake my head, and say, "JCT, do not keep taking your friend's toys!" But, then he insists, "Mommy, they want me to have them!" And, inevitably, it won't be long before he comes home with another toy.

I was at school with him one day, and when it was time to go, I noticed that JCT was holding a Chick (from the movie Cars) toy in his hand. I asked him where he got it, and he said smiling, "Samuel gave it to me!" So, I marched JCT over to Samuel and said. . .

"Samuel, did you give this car to JCT?"

"Yes," he said.

"Well, don't you think you will want it later?"

"No. I want James Tistifoor to have it!"

"But, Samuel, when you get home and you want to play cars, don't you think you'll miss it? Don't you think you'll want to play with it one of these days?"

"No. I want James Tistifoor to have it."

I pry the car out of my son's hand and try to force it into Samuel's hand. "I think you will want it later."

"NO! I want James Tistifoor to have it!" And, with that he ran away.

I looked down at JCT.

A funny little smile spread across his silly little face. . .

a smile that said two things. . .

1.) SUCCESS

and

2.) 'I told you so'

all at the same time.

Then, just today I was at JCT's preschool for a magic show, and David's mom came up to me. She said, "We have this spiderman riding toy that David has outgrown, and he is insisting that JCT have it."

I just shook my head.

Then, the truth came out. . .

I asked her, "Why? Why does he want JCT to have it?" She said, "Well, David was talking about outgrowing it, and JCT mentioned that he had little brothers who might like it."

Little brothers who might like it. . .

Hmmmmm. . . . .

Then, when he got in the car to go home, I noticed that he had a dragon toy in his possession ~ another happy meal toy he acquired from a friend.

If I didn't know him better, I'd wonder if he was bullying these gifts from his buddies. But, JCT is not a bully. . .

So, either he has really generous friends, or he has a way with words and people.

I'm beginning to wonder. . .

1 comment:

AW said...

Hahahaha! Sounds like your little silver tongued man might have a future in sales. Or law. Or a doctor with a great bedside manner. ;-)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved