Monday, January 22, 2007

For Elijah. . .

I am thinking of you today, my little man, my very little man. I am praying for you. Praying that God will grow you strong and healthy within me. Praying that you will know your Creator even in the womb. That you will come to know Him personally at a very young age and follow hard after Him all your days. Praying that God will bless you with a wise and discerning heart, and that you will grow in wisdom and favor with God and man. That you will hate evil and cling to that which is good. I am praying that like your namesake, Elijah, you will take bold risks for God.

I love you so much already, sweet one. Just you wait, we are going to love you to pieces when you come to be with us in this fragile little world that we call home. Fresh from God you will come to us. His handprints all over your sweet naked body. Oh, I can't wait to see you. . . Jesus be with you and keep you safe until I can wrap my arms around you and kiss the sweetness of your newborn skin. Oh, little blessing, how I love you. . .

Did you hear your older brother singing to you this morning? His little lips pressed to my belly singing as loud as he could just for you to hear. We put your crib together this weekend. And, your brothers and I made up your bed this morning. We are eargerly awaiting your arrival. Joshua asks about you all the time. He wants to know when you are coming. I tell him that when the leaves and the grass turn green again and the flowers start blooming - then it will be time. But, for now we have to wait.

Yesterday was Sanctity of Life Sunday at church. It was as if you had so much to say about this issue. You never stopped moving from the beginning of Sunday School all the way through the worship service. Tossing and turning. Erik and I sat with a couple of my favorite young girls during church, and they could see you kicking through my shirt. You were making them giggle. I just held my belly and enjoyed feeling so close to you. With each kick I envision your sweet legs and arms, fingers and toes. Perfect in every way. Unique.

My beautiful baby boy, a loving God has loaned you to us. He has trusted us to care for you day in and day out. And, we will do our very best to be faithful to this calling. Know that we will make a multitude of mistakes, but one thing is certain, you are and always will be loved, so much, so very much.

So, until that sweet day when we will finally meet face to face, know that I am dreaming of you, praying for you, and loving you. Grow, sweet one, grow. And, we will be waiting for you. Godspeed, precious little one. Godspeed.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

True love... those are the first words that come to my mind. This is a beautiful letter that one day he will read. Beautiful.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

So beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes and encompassed everything I'm currently feeling for my little man. Thank you for this sweet, well-written letter.

PS I love the name Elijah; our friends just had a baby boy by the same name!!

Deidre said...

I love 'a loving God has loaned you to us'. Loaned to you indeed, and you will be wonderful examples to him, I know, of his Heavenly Creator.

It sounds like you are doing well. So glad to hear. What a fortunate little boy Elijah is to already have such a sweet Mommy!

Linda said...

How wonderful to know, Erin, that as precious as that little boy is to you - so He is to the Father. He knows his name; He has already written the book of His life. He has woven him together with infinite love and grace. And He has chosen a very special home to place him in.
Elijah will love reading the prayer of his mother's heart some day.

Big Mama said...

You need to print this out and put it in his baby book. It is absolutely beautiful and if I said it didn't make me cry, I'd be lying.

Sarah said...

Oh, Erin, this made me cry.

I already love him--because I love you so much:)

xoxo
Sarah

Mayhem And Miracles said...

That was beautiful and heartfelt and good enough to be reprinted somewhere as a poem that you know everyone would want to copy. What a lucky little guy to have such a sweet tender-hearted mommy!

Kelly said...

Such beautiful reflections! I love that his big brother is singing to him!

Kim said...

What precious words to encourage his heart one day...that he is so loved...by you and wanted by you. I agree with Calissa...true love! He is blessed to have that mother's love.

I pictured big brother singing to him and it brought back so many memories of my pregnancies...such sweet days!

I will be praying for your Elijah,too!

Kim

Donnetta said...

You've left me speechless (with tears in my eyes). WOW! Absolutely precious, priceless, and beautiful...

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post!

Jennifer said...

Erin- I agree with the suggestion to print this for his book. So sweet are the words from a mother's heart.

On another note, I have the lullaby CD you mentioned...I found it last month. I LOVE "You are Good" and "Hold on to Jesus" the best!!!

Paula said...

What a beautiful prayer a mother to her child.
Thank you for sharing your heart.

Ivey's Mom said...

Erin-
A momma's love is unconditional. This is absolutely the sweetest thing I have ever read. I hope he reads it to his own on day. Perfectly written.
Gwen

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

OK, I am weeping now:) Good tears though. What a sweet letter to your baby boy.

What a miracle it is to carry a baby!!!! To feel their movements and love them even before we meet them.

Praying your little Elijah is healthy and strong. And loves the Lord early in his life!

Casey said...

I am expecting my first child in April. It's a boy and my heart rejoices over this little on I carry.

I wept when I read your letter because I'm hormonal :), but mostly because it was beautiful and it said what I feel- only so much better.

Thank you for sharing. I will soon be the mother of a boy who will grown into a man- and the weight of that is heavy. I read your blog and am encouraged.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved