Monday, January 08, 2007

Chaos.



That is all I have to say. This is where I am living at present. Well, this picture is of my garage, and I am not actually living in the garage, but still. . . Chaos reigns here. The garage is one of the two places we stored things for the three months that we were out of our home. The only problem is that now we have to actually go through everything in the garage. Things that we have lived without for three months, things that we have proven we really don't need.

I have always been an over-achiever. Erik and I have moved two other times in our marriage, and both times I had the house in order and decorated in record time. Tunnel vision. I would work feverishly until I had the house the way I wanted it.

Enter two children.

Now, I am unable to work feverishly. Tunnel vision is an impossibility, if you know what I mean. . . I have two little guys that need a mommy, and so I have resigned to the fact that this will take time.

Contentment in chaos is my prayer. Can those words exist in the same sentence? I am just praying that we will be in some sort of a stable state in April as we prepare for Elijah to join our family. Several friends and family members have asked me to post some before and after pics. I hesitate to do this because of two things. #1 My before pics are on a CD, and bless my heart, I can't figure out how to get my pics from the CD to my documents. #2 There is not a single room in our home that is in order or decorated or even completed as of today. So, maybe in a month or so, I will post some pics. Give me some time to settle in and make it home again. I will put a pic of our foyer in this post because this room is closest to done. Originally, we had a single door with windows on both sides. We took up the flooring that was there, and we stained and scored the concrete underneath. We went from wood to wrought iron on the stairway and added sconces and library paneling. So, here it is.

Is the concrete what you thought, mom?












19 comments:

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Hi Erin,

I have been lurking on your blog for quite a while. Found you through Sarah. Tonight I had to comment some real encouragement. Because of a whole big ordeal that we are just now (sort of) coming out of, we literally lived just like your garage for 2 years!! Not kidding. And no warning before it happened. I was as Type A as one gets - and now I'm not. That was God's plan for that. So do your best to just laugh and remember your wisdom in choosing those sweet boys over organization. It WILL get done. Even if it takes a while. I'll pray for you if you pray for me. :) Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Erin,

I will be praying for you as you get everything in order---it is okay if it takes a while! Your new renovated home looks so gorgeous!!!! I love the foyer and stairs! I am also praying for you and your baby boy! I love the name!

Great to hear from you.
Kim

Anonymous said...

It looks just beautiful! I cannot wait to see more pictures :).

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks NICE!

And so, Elijah is the final name, huh? If you haven't noticed, I'm most drawn to any comments about the children! :) And I laughed out loud when you wrote, "Enter two children".... I had a feeling that was coming. But no worries, you'll get it done. Just one day at a time... and "contentment in the midst of chaos" is a definite possibility. Just rest in the presence of God's Word literally etched into the walls surrounding you!

Love you.... and it's great to see an update. Praying for a smooth transition.

calissa

Melissa Stover said...

wow, that looks great. i hope you get settled in soon.

Deidre said...

Erin,
I've missed you, but knew you were probably VERY preoccupied. I know it can all be overwhelming.
I do love the foyer. I love those front doors! Beautiful.
Oh, and I love the name Elijah.

Anonymous said...

Well I love the foyer:) And I can relate to moving with 2 little ones. This our 3rd home and it took a lot longer to decorate and organize than my previous homes, since we had 2 little girls. So be patient, and I know that is sooo hard! It will come together before you know it. And please show us pics when it's done, your home looks beautiful

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, beautiful home you have. I'm sure that despite all of the chaos, it has all been worth it!! Thinking of you...

Linda said...

Glad you're back Erin. I know how you feel. I tend to be the same way - I just want everything in its assigned place. Life just doesn't seem to cooperate with that any more - and two little ones (with another on the way) are certainly "life". Just do what you can each day and eventually it will all be just the way you imagine it now.
We are in the opposite situation. The deal on our house fell through - so here we sit with most of our belongings in boxes and nowhere to go. Sigh...I know the Lord is teaching us something. I just want to learn it - quickly!!!
Take care.

Southern Girl said...

Wow, your foyer is beautiful! I love the floor and the staircase in particular. I'm sure the rest of your home will soon be as in order and beautiful as this part. :)

Michelle said...

Gorgeous!!!! I hope things fall into place quickly and you can enjoy every moment in your "new" home.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for garages in times like that, but times like mine (not having moved) it sure is annoying that I still use it like that! Well, you know what I mean...

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the before kids vs. after kids. My sister moved into their first home one month before she was due with her son! Little by little it gets done. Meanwhile, the foyer looks great. I love the color and the railing...it's beautiful - very classic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
We have missed your thoughtful posts! I will be remembering you during this chaotic time. We made a move with a 2 month old and a 3 year old once. My two month old slept in her car seat for a couple of weeks--it was crazy!

Big Mama said...

Well, if the foyer is any indication, the house looks beautiful.

I'm sure it's nice to be home, even if it is a little chaotic.

Anonymous said...

Well, the chaos is a little, um, chaotic, but the good news is that it WILL get done! (Even if it takes a reallllllly long time!!) And your foyer is BEAUTIFUL! I love it and am bound and determined to see your entire house in person, someday soon.

And you landed on Elijah? I love it:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just realized something--now you have two Js and three Es! So you know you're going to have to name the next one a J name, right? ;)

Girl Raised in the South said...

Its beautiful already. I love love the chocolate color, and the stairway so much I copied the photo to show my husband. We have all wrought iron, were going to do all wood, but I love this combo.

It's just going to take some time, but it'll end up beautiful - cant wait to see the photos when youre all done.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved