Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Warm Welcome to Winter




Yesterday afternoon I took Rain out, and I was struck by how windy it was outside. It reminded me of the kind of wind that ushers in a new season. "Winter?" I wondered. But, the wind wasn't that cold, just a bit chilly. By the time we loaded the boys in the van to go to church that evening, the wind had turned cold, almost bitter. I love it! This morning I walked around outside for a few minutes, and I noticed that almost all the leaves have fallen. The trees look cold and bare. It is cloudy and cold here today. Winter, I believe you have arrived!! As much as I love fall, I am welcoming you this year! It makes me want to make soup and cider - every single night! But, since Erik prefers pork chops and spaghetti to creamy delicious soups, I have to make my favorite cold-weather recipes sparingly.


The boys and I partook of the wintry weather by making a treat for the birds. We decorated a crab apple tree in the backyard with bird-friendly garland and ornaments. The garland is fresh cranberries, and the ornaments are pine cones rolled in peanut butter and birdseed. When we came inside after decorating the tree, JCT announced, "We did sumting berry impotant. We feeded da burds. Dat is berry impotant." I am not sure if deer like cranberries, but I am hoping that they do!

Even JCT's favorite T-rex got into the action!

We also made spice dough ornaments, and they smell wonderful!! And, once again I have cider simmering on the stove! Yummy!

It may be cold outside, but come on in - it is warm and cozy in here!

4 comments:

Deidre said...

Oh, how I wish I could 'come on in'!! That's a great idea decorating a tree for the birds (and deer). We have deer in our backyard, so we may try this.

Oh, and spice dough ornaments? My favorite! I can't wait to make them next week and decorate my small kitchen tree. I'll bet it smells heavenly at your house.

Kelly said...

Sounds cozy and wonderful. Don't you just love the change of seasons? Each one brings its own blessings to enjoy:-)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

It's been snowing for the better part of a week here, and our thermometer seems to be stuck in the teens.

So it's definitely winter here. But like you, I'm enjoying the coziness of the season.

At least for now.

Leanne said...

I enjoy reading your blog so much! I am having my third boy in March...so your blog reminds me that I will survive!! happily!
Your ornaments inspired me... I'm getting the ingredients to do my own today! Thanks for the post!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved