Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Comfort of an Old Friend


I have wonderful news! 2007 has brought a wonderful blend of old and new to our lives. Our home is newly renovated - a sweet combination of new and shiny as well as old and comfortable. But, there is another change that has taken place with the turn of the new year. My husband, who for the last five years has practiced in a clinic as the lone physician, will have a new partner, an old friend, his best friend. They call eachother "brother", and that is what they are. Though not by blood, their brotherhood lies in a friendship unique.

Friendships like this are rare especially among men. And, I thank God for the blessing of this and several other deep friendships that He has blessed my husband with. Sean is special. For the past 6 years many miles have separated them from eachother, but that has not affected their friendship in the least. Erik, for the past five years, has come home from work nearly everyday talking to Sean on his cell phone. I kid him that they are co-dependent. But, inside I love that about their friendship. Sean brings out a side in my husband that no one else can. He is good for Erik's health. He makes him laugh, heartily. And, that makes my heart swell.

Sean is living with us right now, and he will probably live with us for another month or so. In a few weeks, hopefully, his wife and one year old daughter will join him living with us. And, they will remain in our home until their home is completed. Many people look at me with pity when they here that Sean is living with us - not because of Sean - but because we are in such a state of chaos at present. But, I quickly correct them. Sean is a blessing. He is sunshine in our home. He makes my children and my dog happy, crazy happy, sometimes too happy! And, he gives me a hard time constantly, about everything. And, I love this. He is truly like a brother to me, as he is to my husband. He is comfortable here, and we are comfortable with him here. This is not the first or even the second time that our families have shared a residence for an extended period of time. We are family.

Deana, his wife, is one of the most strong and loyal friends that I have ever had. If she loves you, she loves you. She will fight for you. The kind of friend you would run to in a bind, the kind of friend who will not fold. I love her, and I look forward to her presence in my daily life.

I could write a book about the memories the 4 of us made while Erik and Sean were in residency together, but I just don't have enough time. My fingers would certainly tire if I even tried. . . There have been so many laughs, trials, vacations, etc. We truly lived in community with them. We shared everything. We ate nearly every meal together. We were family. I remember the deep loss we felt moving away from them when Erik left for fellowship. Erik and I truly mourned. And, we have not replaced them. Recently Erik and I went away to a nearby city for a weekend getaway just the two of us. We ate dinner in one of those revolving restaraunts. We sat across from eachother quietly, staring at one another, remarking at how nice it was, etc. It was a candlelight dinner with soft music and a great view. But, we both agreed that there was one thing that could make the evening even better - if we could share it with Sean and Deana. They are like a part of us.

I prayed at the beginning of 2005 that God would bring a frienship like that to Erik and I here in this small town that we live in. I had no idea that God had in His plans to bring Sean and Deana to answer my prayer. What an amazing God! Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought. . . But, I am so grateful! And, now every time I drive into my husbands office's parking lot, I stare at the sign out front. I can't help but stare. I never thought I'd see their names together on a sign like that. It stirs something inside me. And, I say a prayer of thanks.

Father, bless their practice. May they glorify You through the work of their hands. May they touch their patients with Your hands and see their patients through your eyes. Guide and direct them. Give them divine wisdom and insight, beyond their own capacity, so that they know it is from You alone. Touch lives through them. May their patients feel Your presence and Your peace in this clinic. May they be drawn to You and come to know You through these two men. Use them, Lord. Change lives through them. Use them to bring healing to their patients - not just physical healing, but most importantly spiritual healing. Bless the relationships that they build with their patients. May their patients feel Your love, acceptance, peace, and joy through them. May this clinic be set apart for You, to bring You glory.

15 comments:

Donnetta said...

What a blessing from God Himself! Isn't God so very good?!! I am reminded of a couple verses:

Is. 64:4 & I Cor. 2:9: No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.

Eph. 3:20: Now to him who is able to do immeasureably more than all we ask or imagine.

I'd say God is grinning ear to ear as he blesses you all with this blessing! Rejoicing with you!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I love to hear stories of God's amazing provision like that. That is an absolutely wonderful story, especially since your town is not even very big. It makes it completely obvious it was all God's doing. It reminds me of His promise to "show you great and mighty things which thou knowest not." I pray their practice and your friendships will be richly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great story of friendship! Isn't it amazing to see how God brings about His purposes for our good! I'm glad your friends are moving there and so glad you all will be reunited!

Kim

Big Mama said...

Wow Erin, that is just so cool. I can say from experience that there is nothing better than having your best friend living in the same town. It's more than a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Erin, what an incredible and unexpected blessing. God is so cool.

Kelly said...

We share a similar relationship with another couple and their children, and refer to one another as our "chosen family". Enjoy being together again- what fun!Blessings!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! God is so faithful to meet our needs--and desires! His provision is amazing.

Continuing to remember you in the crazy time. I will be going through a move in late spring and knwo the chaos is coming.

Deidre said...

That is so great for your husband (and for you). God is amazing!

Oh, to answer your comment on my post, I have thought often about homeschooling. I must admit I'm completely afraid of it at this point. My daughter goes to a wonderful Christian school for Transitional Kind. This school goes to the 12th grade. So far, I am very pleased. I continue to pray for God's direction. I'm not sure why she loves books so much. I can already see the same in my 18 month old. From birth, we would read to Emma daily and now she is required to read at least 15 minutes a day, although she always reads more than that. I think Olivia is just trying to be like her Big Sister.

How about you? Will you homeschool?

Anonymous said...

I am truly amazed by this story. How incredible!! I'm also impressed that you are opening up your home so soon after you just moved in. What a gracious family you are!! Thanks for sharing this story!!

Linda said...

Your post has truly encouraged my heart Erin. What a special friendship and what a blessing from the hand of a loving Father. I have been feeling rather discouraged lately - a bit "forgotten" - as silly as that sounds. Your post reminds me that God loves us so much - He brings the people we love best back into our lives. I just needed to be reminded that He cares about every detail of our lives.
Amen to your beautiful prayer.

Anonymous said...

I think that is great!! That is just the way God works!!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to partner with someone you respect and trust. God is good!!!

Erin said...

No, Sara, Sean is not wearing suspenders, but he will get a kick out of the fact that you thought he was!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Hooray! I am SO excited for you, Erin! I've been praying for you that God would bring you a dear friend to live close by--how fun that she'll live WITH you for a while!

I'm so excited that I'm wiggling like a puppy---and I don't usually do that---but I love you to pieces and am THRILLED for you:) For both of you!

Michelle said...

Erin,

What a lovely testament of God's grace (at just the right time). Friendship from Heaven are rare (especially for men) but for us, ladies as well. I am so glad that your "family" is going to be back together!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved