Monday, May 28, 2007

My Sister and the 10-K Family!

Jesus, my sister Kristin, Elijah, and I have something in common. All of us celebrate our birthdays on the 25th day of various months. And, Friday, May 25th, is the day we celebrate my sister's birth. Some of you have asked me to tell the story of my sister's amazing family of eight children. So, here it is. . .

My sister has always loved children. I credit myself for her love of little ones. She was 10 when I was born, and she loved to take care of me. I was her very own real live babydoll. To this very day, I often jokingly say that I have 2 mothers.
And, not only has my sister always had a love of children, but they, also, have always had a love for her. If there was a child present at a party we attended as a family, somehow or another the child would always find his or her way to Kristin and follow her around the entire evening. I see this with my own children. They love to visit their Aunt Kristin! She is crazy fun, and she always has something exciting to show them at her house - hermit crabs, fish, or a fun new toy. And, fussy babies just have a way of cuddling into her and falling asleep. She has a gift. She truly does. A gift I covet - especially right now!

Anyway, we always knew that she would be a wife and a stay-at-home mom. It was the desire of her heart from a very early age. In 1988 she married and three years later Kayla Elizabeth was born. She loved being a mom so much that when Kayla was only 7 months old Kristin and her husband decided that it was time to have another baby. So, 9 months later Kohl Steven, their first son, was born 100% planned and desired by his parents. They waited a little longer the next time. . . When Kohl was 12 months old they decided that it was time to have another child, and 9 months later Kelly James, their second son, was born.

I am pausing the story now because I want to explain something. . .

Being observant as you are, you have noticed a trend in their children's names - all K's. Yes, it is true. And, to make it even that much more Krazy, I must add that Kristin is married to Kurt. They didn't start out intentionally using K names. Kayla was named Kayla simply because Kristin liked the name. Kohl was spelled with a K because Kurt saw the name in a newspaper and liked the spelling. Kelly was named with a K because they thought he would be their last child (Ha!), and they didn't want him to be the only one without a K name. Now to make this even sillier. Kurt's sister Kathy has 4 children - Logan, Luke, Landon, and Lexi. And, Kurt's other sister Terri has 2 children - Austin and Andrea. When we found out that Joshua was a boy, Kristin insisted that we name him Elijah and start an E theme in our family (Erik, Erin, and Elijah)!! We obviously liked the name Elijah, but we didn't want to paint ourselves into a corner.
Back to the story. . .
Nine months later God had a little surprise for them - Kristin was pregnant. They thought that their family was complete, and this was not in their plans. But, God's will overrides all that, and, 9 months later their second daughter, Kendyl Marie, was born. To say the very least, my sister is fertile, very fertile, so they opted for Kurt to get the "snip snip" to ensure no more surprise pregnancies! They felt that they were very blessed and that their family was complete.

Oh, but God had another surprise up His sleeve. . .

A couple years later a missionary came to their church and spoke about adoption. They sat in church and listened. Afterward, they loaded all 4 children in their mini-van and were about to head home. But, before the key went into the ignition, one of them looked at the other and said, "I think we are supposed to adopt." The other one agreed. And, they began praying and seeking God's face about it. They felt led toward domestic adoption rather than foreign. So, they took the steps needed, and, it wasn't long before God answered their prayers.

I debated including this part of the story, but I thought it might help someone, so I am going to write about it. Their first experience with adoption was a learning one and a hard lesson at that. Kristin met the young mom through the adoption agency sometime during her pregnancy. She walked with her throughout the rest of her pregnancy. She gave the young mother support and attempted to be Christ to her. Kristin's children even made gifts for her. Kristin met her at the hospital when she went into labor and was in the room when baby Kristopher was born. They had developed a trust with the young mother, and they took the baby into their home before all the rights were surrendered. Kayla, Kohl, Kelly, and Kendyl embraced the baby just as they had embraced the baby's mother. And, after having the baby in their home for nearly one week, the mother refused to terminate her rights. She changed her mind and wanted to keep baby Kristopher. Heartbreak. Kurt and Kristin had to drive to Arkansas to meet the young mother and hand this baby boy over to her. A baby that they had prayed for and opened wide their arms to. It was tragic for all of us. And, the story only gets worse. The adoption agency let us know that baby Kristopher died a month later in a car accident. Kristin and the young mother continued correspondence until the young mother eventually quit writing her back. I tell you this story only to say, that my sister highly advises adoptive parents to let the baby stay in a loving foster home until all parental rights have been terminated. This is just her opinion, and I think anyone could see why she feels that way.

This did not in anyway deter them from doing what they felt God called them to do. And, within 2 months Kase William, their third son, entered their family. About a year later, they began to feel that God was calling them once again to open their home to another child. They prayed about it and put their name back on the list. In the meantime Kurt quit his job and opened his own business. Money was tight at first, and it was at this time that the adoption agency called to tell Kristin that they had a little girl for her. Kristin was so torn. She wanted the baby and felt that they were to have this baby, but she knew that they didn't have the money to pay for the adoption at that time. So, they prayed about it. Kristin ended up calling the adoption agency and saying, "We really want this baby, and we feel we are supposed to adopt her. But, we just don't have the money right now." Get this. . . This is so God!! The adoption agency lady said, "She's free. We are waiving the fees." And, they gave her the name Klara Grace - grace being a free gift from God. A couple years later they felt the call again, and they welcomed Kloe Faith into their family. And, at this point they said that they were done. Actually, I think Kurt's exact words to me were, "The door is closed." Laughing I remember saying, "Are you sure that there is not a foot in the door?" He assured me there was not a foot, nor a toe, not a thing holding the door open. The door was closed. . .
But, God opened it. . .

:-) Don't you just love how He does that! The adoption agency called Kristin. It seems that Kloe's birth mom didn't show up for her tubal, and she got pregnant only 4 months after Kloe's birth. Kloe would have a sibling with the exact same mother and father. They prayed about it, and they felt that they were to adopt this child. The child was born only one month after Kloe's first birthday. And, they gave her the name Kyleigh Joy. And, what a joy she is, sweet girl! And, that is the story of my sister's family.

If you were to ask my sister about adoption, she would tell you that it is very spiritual. She would tell you that as Christians we are all adopted. And, she would quote Eph. 1:5. She would also admit that the road has not always been easy. Having 8 children is never easy! But, she says that when she hears her little daughters singing praise songs to Jesus, she knows that it is all worth it! Kristin's life is krazy to say the least. Her children's ages range from almost 4 years old to 16 years old. So, she is dealing with hormonal teenagers and active preschoolers at the same time. Some of her children are homeschooled, and some go to school. The kids are involved in a variety of sports and activities that keep Kristin on the go most of the afternoon - not to mention speech and occupational therapy for little Kyleigh. After 3:00 each afternoon, she has on average 5-10 places that she need to be at the same time. Hers is not a simple life. Once I asked her what she would do when she had an empty nest. Her answer was quick, "Well, by that time I'll have grandchildren!!!!" And, not long ago when I watched her holding my newborn son, I was reminded of her God-given gift and her sweet love for babies.
Quickly I would be amiss not mentioning a few things about this fun family! They know how to have a good time. You know, like diving into their pool at midnight on New Years Eve in Tennessee! Yes, they did! Kurt, the Daddy, is really just Kristin's biggest kid. He is the coach, the playmate, the best friend, and the Daddy all in one! Kayla is beautiful and sweet but yet very strong. Kohl loves to read and is very affectionate. Kelly is the guitar player and the witty one. Kendyl is funny, fun to be with and an incredible soccer player. Kase is good at building and making things with his hands. Klara is crazy happy and is built like an Olympic runner - muscle girl! Kloe gives the best kisses in the Southeastern US and makes me smile just thinking of her. Kyleigh is sweet and delicate and precious. And, that is that!



In Love He predestined us to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves.

Ephesians 1:5-6



14 comments:

FaceforGrace said...

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story. I've been waiting for this! I am so emotional right now with waiting and worrying about the finances for our adoption, among other things going on in our family right now. It was so comforting to hear how God has blessed them and provided the way for their family to grow.

Thanks again for sharing! I can't wait to share my story one day!

Sara said...

Oh Erin, I cried my eyes out! I love your sister and think your whole family is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Southern Girl said...

That's the sweetest story, and what a beautiful family your sister has! Bless their hearts!

Linda said...

Erin, what a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Our daughter is also adopted. After our two boys, we decided we wanted to add a little girl to our family. We went through the Social Services in our town and there was no cost except the final legal "stuff" (which my brother-in-law the lawyer took care of). She is all grown up now - and is the joy of our lives. She is beautiful, bright and perfect!!!
When we went to have the adoption finalized the judge said that the wonderful thing about adoption is that you can actually disinherit your birth children, but you cannot disinherit your adopted children. Kind of like the Lord and us - we're His kids forever and ever.

Michelle Peacock said...

That is so precious! What a home filled with love your sister has. Thank you for sharing that with us. I read you all the time and just wanted to finally say hello!

Blessings to you and your family.

Deidre said...

Amazing! Your sister is amazing. It takes a special person with a special heart to raise 8 children!

Thank you for sharing her story.

AW said...

Erin,

Thank you SO much for sharing that story! It is sweet and I love reading how God's plan is always the best! :-)

I've known for many years that I can't have children without the help of some serious fertility drugs, which was not appealing to me. Adoption has ALWAYS been on my heart and last summer my husband and I very eagerly started our paperchase to a daughter in China. A few weeks later I find out I'm pregnant. Only to lose it several weeks later. The devastation after so much hope is truly indescribable.

We took some time to mourn and attempt the fertility route, but it was too much. We stopped and I got pregnant again. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant, expecting our son this September. I wondered as the fertility route progressed, how I'd feel about adopting again. Can we handle it? Can we afford it? Can we go through this journey with the emotional cost? But the further I get into this pregnancy, the more convinced I am that we are to continue our adoption journey some point soon. I am excited to meet our son, but my excited to meet our daughter grows just as quickly.

Thank you for reminding us that we're ALL adopted. It is so true and so many don't realize it!

Andi

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Wow! What an amazing story and tribute to your sister! I'm sure she is such a role model to many in her life. Wow! 8 kids! Maybe I can use this story to convince my husband we should "only" have four little ones. Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! I was losing track of how many kids she has, so I'm glad you numbered that at the end!!!

Kim said...

What beautiful family!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of love about your sister! It is inspiring to say the least. Just thinking about how those children's lives will be so different because of God's sovereign hand on their lives to be in a Christian home like your sisters is just a miracle!

I have the utmost respect for your sister and their desire to help the orphan child. What a beautiful picture of God's love for us.

Kim

Truly Blessed said...

Erin,

I just found your blog (through funkymonkeyjunk's links.

First, congratulations on the safe arrival of your third son, Elijah! I, too, have three boys and have loved every minute of the past 16+ years with them!

I'm also inspired by your sister's story, as we also have an adopted daughter (from China) and are praying about getting her a little mei mei (little sister) from China, this time through the waiting child/special needs route.

I'm going to come back and visit again, because you write so eloquently about your sons and your life and I find myself smiling when I'm reading your posts.

God will continue to bless your family!

Kelly (who is also married to an Eric!)

Brenda said...

Oh, what an amazing and moving story of your sister's family. What a testimony! Thanks for sharing.

Paula said...

Great story. Thank you for sharing. People like your sister are such a gift from God that they open their home and hearts.

Sarah said...

Wow, what a fun tribute to your sis! I admire ANYONE who can have that many children and homeschool to boot! That is definitely a gift. I'm thinking three will be it for us, Lord willing of course, but that's our plan.
Sarah


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved