Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Let Me Let You in on a Little Secret. . .

I sat down a few minutes ago and read through the comments some of you left on my last post, and I had a bit of a guilty conscience. I need to let you all in on a little secret. . . Some of you commented on the way that I looked after giving birth. Let me be quick to say that this did take a bit of effort on my part. You see, I have a theory. And, the theory goes something like this:


Suddenlys are going to happen suddenly, but just because they happen suddenly doesn't mean that you have to look like they did.


Even if your suddenly wakes you up in the middle of the night, you must be prepared. And, I was prepared for just such an event. My make-up bag was waiting on the counter in my bathroom just in case we had to make a flight at night. I even had my "Lord Deliver Me. . ." t-shirt waiting out on my dresser to wear to the hospital with my new never before worn black and white polka dot Yellow Box sandels and a pair of black slacks. Not to mention the pearl earings and the pearl and baby boy blue beaded bracelet that were sitting out for me to quickly put on if need be. . . Oh, yes, I was prepared. My mom laughed at me saying that labor to most people is "work," but to me labor is, as she put it, "an event." And, she is right. They are some of my favorite days of my life. Besides, suddenlys usually involve lots of pictures and often video footage as well. So, in accordance with my theory, I was prepared to make myself look at the very least presentable.


The only problem was that I forgot to grab my make-up bag. . .


So, after I got to the hospital and the on-call MD came in, checked me, and left, I immediately got down to business. "Mom, could you get my make-up bag out of our brown bag?" I said tied down to my hospital bed by monitors and gadgets. She looked and looked, but she couldn't find it. I felt a bit of panic slowly setting in. So, I borrowed make-up from the bottom of my mom's purse. And, if you know my mom, then you know that we don't exactly have the same coloring. She has beautiful olive skin tones, and I am quite fair. But, drastic circumstances call for drastic measures, so I dawned her olive make-up. When you know that one of your very best friends in the world is going to be standing on a chair taking pictures of you pushing (not always the cutest facial expressions) you know you need all the help you can get - even if it is in the wrong color. Suddenly is no excuse.


So, now you know the truth. I'm all about being real. So, in between enduring those awful transitional contractions, what was I doing? I was putting on make-up. . . much to my husband's chagrin. Because even though I have given birth to 3 boys, I am still very, very much a girl. Some things will never change. And now you know the truth!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

AJ said...

Precious. You and your baby!

Sarah said...

I already loved you, you know that, but this post drove my love to new heights. Thank you for admitting your "secret," Erin! I did the same thing with Grayson--after the nurse took him to the nursery, I sent Chris for some food and I put on my makeup! You're right--labor and delivery is no excuse for looking rough.

I don't know what my excuse is for going grocery shopping looking like I've been in labor, however. :)

uuu said...

I LOVE IT! (And will probably attempt such a thing in 6 weeks or so)

Sarah said...

I love it! Kindred spirits we are!
Sarah

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

Oh my goodness - I did the same thing! However, after a fast and furious labor with my now 2 month old (also my third baby) - I did take the night "sans makeup" to rest. But when the light of day came through my bedroom window, you better believe I was up and taking a shower - doing my hair and makeup for those crucial first pics of me with the new baby. To say nothing of all the new "sibling" pics that had to be taken too. Yes, labor is work. But we still gotta be pretty! These pictures will last forever! :)

Kelly said...

A girls' gotta do what a girl's gotta do!At the hospital I labored as much as possible in the shower, and my poor husband thought I had lost it when I insisted on shaving my legs between contractions.

This post confirmed it... I like you more and more with every post!

Congratulations on another beautiful boy!
Blessings,
Kelly

Vickie said...

You are not alone. I did not allow any pictures taken until I had a shower and was able to fix my hair and makeup. I even insisted on having my toenails polished.

Congratulations on a beautiful boy.

Vickie

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Ok, that is too, too funny!! =) But I appreciate the realness and I highly doubt that you needed any of the make-up to begin with. But I'm amazed at how some mascara and lipstick will make any woman feel "presentable".

Kelly @ Love Well said...

And THIS post made my week. TOO FUNNY!

Paula said...

Listen, I did the very same thing when I had Colton. The doctor walked in as I was touching up because I knew I was getting ready to push. She just laughed at me.
I agree, no excuse to look rough if you have a second.

kittyhox said...

Okay, but here's the thing. I, too, had a cute outfit for delivery (all new things), fresh pedicure, pearl earrings, and brought my makeup. Before and after delivery, my mother also dutifully retrieved my cosmetics and hairbrush so I could look - just so - for my photos.

And yet, I still looked like a hippopotomus. In every photo. Really. Zoo time.

SO, give yourself some credit! You look lovely! Just a stranger's two cents...

Sarah said...

TAG, you're it! Check out my blog for the details, it's Meme time.
Sarah

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

I found your blog through Munchkin Land...hope you don't mind a new lurker-bloggie friend! Congrats...your family is beautiful!

Kim said...

You are so cute! I am a girly girl,too....so I completely understand! Under eye concealer does wonders for new mommies and I don't hesitate to use it!

Thanks for this post!

Kim

Michelle said...

Well, I showered and put on makeup (and touched up through out the day) while giving birth to my 3! I also painted my fingernails before running off to the hospital...never mind that my water had broken...I am glad to know I am not the only "preparer".


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved