Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Suddenly. . .


My husband and I have often discussed how the "big" things in life happen suddenly. After much waiting and preparing, suddenly with the words "I now pronounce you man and wife," you are married. In an instant your life is changed forever. After my husband studied for years and years, a hood was placed over his head and suddenly he was called "Doctor" and lives were entrusted to his care. And, after nine months of anticipation, suddenly a baby comes forth and changes a mother's world forever. And, for me suddenly happened early one morning less than one week ago.

Elijah had us waiting to say the very least. Friday at my doctor's appointment I was 3 cm, so we figured it would not be long. Then, Saturday night I felt a little crampy, so Erik checked me - 4 cm. Sunday morning I decided to go ahead and call my mom. I wanted her to be here for the birth. She has a 4 hour drive, so playing it safe, we decided to go ahead and ask her to come. So, on Sunday she and my dad drove over. . . only to wait. On Monday Erik checked me again - 5 cm. Surely, we thought, he would come soon. Let's just say that by Tuesday evening, with only 1 or 2 contractions felt each day, I was a bit frustrated, just a bit. I went to bed feeling certain that he was going to remain inside of me for an eternity. Then, suddenly, early Wednesday morning, around 3 a.m.,I woke up and felt a little something. . . I thought. . . But, I wasn't sure. So, I lay there a few minutes, but I just couldn't tell. . .

Slowly, I crept out of my bed and tip-toed into the living room. I didn't want to wake Erik for a false alarm. I grabbed a random slip of paper off the counter (which has now become sacred to me) and began recording the times of each little twinge. I recorded about 4 times each getting a little closer together. Around 3:35 I decided to wake Erik up. I still wasn't certain it was labor, but the pains were about 3 minutes apart, and I knew he would want to know. So, I snuck in and woke him up. He checked me and said, "You are 6-7 cm. We need to go." We woke up my mom, called the babysitter, called Deana (my sweet friend who took pics and operated the video camera for us), and gathered our bags. We left the house around 4:30 and arrived at the hospital around 5:00.

We were met in the observation area by a strong, solid looking African American nurse named Bernice. We walked in and Erik told her I was 6-7 cm, and she took his word for it! She took us back to labor and delivery where the doctor on call came to see me. He told me that I was 7 cm., and then he proceeded to come at me with that little sewing needle looking thing to break my water. He said that he would call Dr. Y. after he broke my water. I asked him to please let me wait until Dr. Y got to the hospital to break my water. I am kind of partial to my doctor, and I didn't want to take any chances that he would not be there for the delivery. (Dr. Y delivers all his own patients. I hate it for his family, but I love it for me!) So, we waited, and at 5:40 Dr. Y. came in the door with his usual big grin. And, I felt myself relax when I knew that he was there. He broke my water and after just a few contractions I was complete and ready to push.

Bernice was there the whole time. And, she was perfect. She alternated between yelling orders at me - "Push that baby! Push! him! up! to! the! light! PUSH that baby, come on now!" to singing "These are the days of Elijah. . ." She was a blessing to say the very least! She had a great smile with one little golden tooth, and I thanked God for giving her to me for this special time. She told me that I was going to have this baby on her shift. And, I doubted her. I kept saying, "I hope I don't disappoint you, Bernice." And, she would say, "Don't worry, baby, you aren't gonna disappoint me. No, no. You gonna have this baby. This your third baby. I've done this long enough to know. No, you're not gonna disappoint me. You gonna have this baby 'fore I go home. I know. . ."




And, suddenly, much quicker than I had expected, at 6:14 a.m., my life changed forever. My third son was born. And, in an instant when I saw my sweet Erik, glassy eyed, holding my wet, crying baby, that instant made April 25, 2007 one of the best days of my life.












I woke up this morning and stared at Elijah laying beside me. Erik got up with the boys, and I lay in bed feeding Elijah. And, I just stared at him. Overwhelmed with love for this tiny little wrinkley, tree frog legged, precious newborn. His little eyes were open and he was looking around at me, at the wall, at the window, searching. . . His expression was a bit confused, brow furrowed. Searching, taking it all in. . . And, oh, the love I feel for him! The excitement to do it all over again with him. I have 2 other boys, and I have done the newborn stage, baby stage, and toddler stage with them, but not with Elijah. And, I look so forward to doing it all with him! And, as I contemplated all of this, I thought about the fact that one week ago today I was still waiting. He was in my belly, and I was waiting for him. There was so much that I didn't know, but now I do. And, I thought about how I love the suddenlys of life. They are sweet, sweet gifts from God given in His perfect timing and in His perfect way.

12 comments:

Kim said...

I have been eager to hear about the *day*! How wonderfully blessed you are! Elijah is just precious! I am so happy for you and your family!

These are sweet days.

Kim

Sarah said...

Congratulations! And what a beautiful birth story. I have two girls, 2.5 years and 9 months. I'm just "sure" our third (we're not pregnant yet) will be a girl, so how bout some match making!? What a precious little boy you have, I'm sure the other two are just as darling. Stop by for a peek at my little angels.
Sarah

Linda said...

Congratulations to all of you. Your sweet words always leave me feeling so blessed Erin. It is a joy to get to share a bit of your heart. You're a special young woman. Blessings.

Sarah said...

Your nurse sounds hilarious. I would've loved to have had her!

And can I just say that your newest boy is a CHUNK! Now there's some substance to love on!

I love you to pieces, sweet girl--you always look so fabulous right after you've had a baby!

Deidre said...

Oh, sweet Erin. What a precious story. 'The Suddenlys' - I love that. I'm so glad you had a safe delivery and Elijah is healthy. He is adorable.

And, what a blessing to have that nurse. "These are the days of Elijah" ... how cool!

Congratulations!

Big Mama said...

I have never seen someone look so beautiful and have such good hair right after giving birth.

I loved reading every moment of this. What a sweet, sweet birth story. Welcome to the world, Elijah.

Mrs. C said...

What a miracle life is - and it is obvious that you adore every little miracle that God has blessed you with. May your family transition easily with the welcoming of Elijah.

Thank you for sharing the photos. He is absolutely beautiful!

Karen said...

Erin, congratulations on your precious Elijah. I, too, had a sent-straight-from-the-hands-of-God nurse when I delivered my first baby, and oh what a blessing! "The Days of Elijah" is one of my absolute favorite songs, and I have to think that a precious nurse singing that to me while in labor would be a wonderful encouragement! Bless your sweet family, Karen

Paula said...

What a sweet story. Elijah is beautiful. It is wonderful you have a husband to keep check on you as well. Enjoy this time now as a family of five.

Sara said...

Ok, I agree!! How in the world do you look so good right after giving birth? Pretty amazing. He is precious, as are your other 2!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Now that just made my day. What a beautiful story. And what a cutie Elijah is. Those tiny newborn legs. I could just look at them forever.

Our God is so good to us.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I just LOVED this birth story and I couldn't agree more with you that these are THE most memorable days in our lives. (My wedding day is another one.) Congratulations!!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved