Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sesame Street meets the Tarheels


The boys had so much fun at Afton's second birthday party!! Here are some pics from the special occasion. Sean and Deana had 3 pools set up in their backyard and 1 slip and slide. The dinosaur pool looked so fun that I almost got in!! The kids had a blast!




I was so honored when Sean asked me to make the cake and cupcakes for Afton's party. But, I must admit, I was very nervous about it. I have only made cakes for my own children's parties. I wanted them to be perfect for sweet Afton. She loves Elmo, so I prayed and prayed that no matter what, she would be able to tell that her cake was, in fact, an Elmo cake. If she said "Melmo" when she saw the cake, then I would consider my cake a success. If not, I would be sorely disappointed!! Thankfully, she recognized him!!




I panicked at about 10:30 the night before the party! All the sudden it hit me that all the cupcakes and cakes were full of food-coloring! I'm a little slow, I guess. Anyway, I envisioned one of Afton's beautiful outfits being ruined by heavily dyed icing. Not to mention the fact that we all know what red food coloring is supposed to do to children, and Elmo had to be red or Afton surely wouldn't recognize him. So, I made what I called "child friendly cupcakes." I used just a tad of blue food coloring and made a few more cookie monster cupcakes.

So, what do you think Sean said when he saw the cupcakes?

Duke cookie monsters and North Carolina cookie monsters. Needless to say, he stayed far away from the Tarheel cupcakes while my husband gobbled them up whole - well, sort of. . .


And, guess who stole the show! You guessed it! Somehow they always end up the center of attention!


Deana's sweet Mama made both of them aprons!! She wrapped up the Carolina apron and gave it to Sean as a joke. Sean opened the apron and immediately, with great disgust, threw it at Erik. Then, Mrs. Diane pulled out another bag with a Duke apron made especially for Sean.
A Fun Party
brought to you by the letter A (for Afton)
and by the number 2.

13 comments:

Ami said...

That cake and those cupcakes are ADORABLE! If you lived anywhere near me, I'd be hiring you for my sons' birthday parties.

Donnetta said...

You did a fantastic job on the cake and cupcakes!!!

Looks like a great time was had by all!

Heather said...

Beautiful cake and cupcakes. My son would have LOVED it. He Loves Elmo!!!!

Dionna said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes!

Jenny said...

The cake and cupcakes are INCREDIBLE!! You are very talented! Sounds like a good time was had by all!!

Sara said...

Those are amazing! You should have no trouble making Grace the Palace of Versailles. Please Auntie Erin.

Polly said...

Wow! I wish I had your cake-baking talent! My cakes and cupcakes always end up looking, well, silly! Yours look perfect!

your home renovation project looks fantastic. the laundry room esp--I love laundry as well!

Jennifer said...

I am so impressed with your cake making abilities, Erin!!!

Alison said...

Wonderful job on the cake and cupcakes!

Thanks for the paint info. When I looked it up on the Benjamin Moore site I was surprised at how light it is compared to your picture. I was thinking yours was was more of a chocolate. Our powder room is just off the front entrance hall which is semi open to the livingroom, and I'm trying to find just the right shades to complement each other. I do really like the colour so will have to see what I come up with...

Deidre said...

Wow, Erin! I am so impressed. Those cupcakes are adorable (and the cake). You are so talented. I'm sure that was one happy little girl.

Anonymous said...

How precious. I love the cake and cupcakes.

Malisa @ Sanity in Small Doses said...

Beautiful cake and cupcakes.. I wish I were that talented!!!!

Mrs. C said...

Wow! These are great.

I didn't realize how long it had been since I visited your blog again. I have been a busy mama this fall. So have you!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved