Monday, September 17, 2007

I Dropped my heart off and drove away. . .

"Being a mother
means that your heart
is no longer yours;
it wanders wherever
your children do. . ."
- Unknown
It all started last Tuesday. I sat in line surrounded by cars and mothers waiting somewhat impatiently for the preschool to open wide her doors and release to us our beloveds. I had a second, so I grabbed my phone and texted a good friend. The text read something like this:
"Hope U R having fun! I am waiting for Joshua. He is really enjoying pre-K."
They were my famous last words.
As Erik would say, I put "the mouth" on him.
He got in the van quiet and introspective. I asked some questions. After a few minutes, he released only this small sentence to me before he retreated and hid behind his backpack for the duration of the car ride home: "I was missing you today."
He said nothing else all day. And, I didn't ask. You see, Joshua does something that I cherish. He stores his hurts in his sweet heart all day, and then as I tuck him in at night, he ever so gently opens his heart to me. As I tucked him in that night, he began talking. He opened his heart and layed it on the covers for us to examine together. I won't share all the details, but one sentence sums up the entire conversation. . .
He looked at me with gentle, questioning eyes, and in his sweetest voice, he asked me. . .
"Mommy, when you were in preschool, did sometimes nobody want to play with you, too?"
To say my heart broke, would be an understatement. I love this little one. My heart hurt.
I wrestled with this all night. Joshua knows no one in his class, and he is quiet until you get to know him. I know that once he feels comfortable he will blossom, but until then. . .
Until then, I will pray. I will pray for a buddy. I will pray for him to be strong and courageous. As I dressed him this morning, we said Joshua's favorite verse - Joshua 1:9. I asked him why he thought that God said these words to Joshua in the Bible. I told him that it sounded to me like Joshua may have been a bit afraid, and God spoke to him words of encouragement. Encouraging him to be strong and courageous, not terrified or discouraged, because God would be with him wherever he goes. A wonderful verse for a little boy.
Joshua only goes to preschool on Mondays and Tuesdays, so today was his first day back since his "sad" day. JCT, Elijah, and I walked him to class, helped him put his backpack in his little locker, and then said goodbye and walked away. We got in the car. And, as I drove away, I looked at that little church preschool building and thought about how it now housed my heart for a few hours. And, one day I will have 3 of my hearts walking around. I am learning, slowly but still learning, how to let go even when it hurts. How to allow them the opportunity to fight their own battles instead of sheltering them. These are the things that will make him stronger. God uses every minute detail. I trust that. And, my strength imparted to Joshua now mostly is in the form of prayer.
It is a process, this mommy deal, and I think it gets more and more challenging as it goes along. But, it is a good deal.
And, speaking of good deals, I got this email from my Daddy after my mom informed him of Joshua's hard day. The last line of his email brought a tear or two to my eyes. You see, my Daddy used to trade futures on the Commodity Market. And, he was good at what he did, very good. He was highly respected for his keen sense of the market - the ups and downs. He knew when and what to buy and sell. My Daddy is wise, but he doesn't vomit his wisdom on you. He holds tightly to his words. They are few and precious. Wisdom. I am thankful to have a Godly father. And, now his sweet words. . .
Erin,

I can empathize with Joshua in his experience at preschool. It's a little disconcerting at first how to relate to new kids, school, teachers, new surroundings, etc. It's a lot for a little guy to adjust to at first. But he's a very smart little boy, and he will quickly figure out how to get in the group, make friends, and just plain adjust.
I'm 66 now, but if my memory is correct, those early years, when you are learning your social skills, were more difficult than when you get to high school and college. Pray, but don't worry. I know how to read a good deal, and I would buy stock in Joshua because he will do just fine.

Love you guys,
Dad
Pray, but don't worry. Now that is good advice for a mother. Because I am learning that prayer is the key to parenting. Just as I used to sit at the bottom of the steps listening to my Joshua cry himself to sleep, praying constantly, asking God how long is too long, I must still rely on God to guide me today. And, God has always been faithful to lead me. Parenting books are great, but there is no substitute for listening to the Spirit, letting His sweet Spirit guide me.
I love that being a mother is above and beyond my comfort zone. It is more than my soft heart can bear. So, it keeps me ever at His feet. And, there is no place that I would rather be.

15 comments:

Linda said...

This is such a touching post Erin. It brought back memories (in fact I revisit these particular memories often and still fell my heart break) of when we first moved to Texas. My boys - then 13 and 10 - had a very difficult time. I never knew how bad it was until it was all behind them. When they told me how they were made fun of and bullied, I could just feel my heart breaking.
But they stood by each other and made it through that difficult year.
It is as you have said - our hearts are always with them, no matter how old they are. I think prayer is an excellent idea.

Wendy said...

"It keeps me ever at His feet. And, there is no place I would rather be."

Amen. I love what you shared here. Thanks!

Big Mama said...

This has left me with tears. The preschool houses your heart...that's so true.

I love your Daddy's wisdom. Pray, but don't worry. I needed to read that today.

HW said...

What a sweet post. I will pray for Joshua too.

I know that God will send him a friend. Three years ago, I prayed for God to send a friend to my daughter (then 10) when we started at a new church. The next Sunday we went to a family's house for lunch after church. Not only had the two girls worn the same outfits that day, they also discovered they had the same comforters in their bedrooms. Even better... they shared a birthday!!
Last summer, they were both baptized at church camp and became sisters as well as friends.
It will happen for your precious boy.

Melissa said...

A great book to read him is The Kissing Hand.

Jenny said...

Your dad's note to you brought a tear or two to my eye as well. I thought it so sweet that he said he would buy stock in Joshua. And, also, loved his wise advice to pray but not worry. I'll take that with me today. A very touching post.

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

I absolutely LOVED this post. There is nothing that requires true faith and Godly wisdom more than raising a child. You did a beautiful job of expressing this!

Ivey's Mom said...

My heart is breaking with yours. Oh the memories of school and hurt feeling. And as mommas, we want to prevent our babies from getting hurt, but they must learn - unfortuately, the hard way. You are being such a good momma to him. One of my boys is quite around new people, the other knows no stranger, and I spend alot of time wishing I could teach my quite one to reach out without fear.
Saying a sweet prayer for preschool.

Jennifer said...

Sweet words and sage wisdom from your Daddy. Thanks for sharing. Hope his day was better.

Deidre said...

Oh, I have so much I could comment on. "Parenting books are great, but there something sweet about listening to the Spirit..." Amen! And, this is why I always say Joshua is so fortunate to have you for his Mommy. How precious is a Mommy that follows the Spirit to parent her child. This post made me want to play with little Joshua ... or send E. over to cheer him up. We've had a similar conversation this year already. It's difficult for me not to run into school and say, "Listen up, everybody, this is E. and she is a really cool kid. Now, be her friend!!" :) ha ha

I know it's a lesson they have to learn and it's harder when they have sweet little spirits like it appears Joshua has. I'm praying God sends that precious boy a friend. You know, there may be another child in that room having the same conversation at night with his Mommy. We'll pray ....

Anonymous said...

such wonderful words from you Dad. It just brought a smile to my heart this night.

Pray, but don't worry. That is my new view. Thanks you.

Michelle said...

Mommy hugs to both of you. My heart broke along with yours when I read those words.

Sarah said...

Erin, this is just beautiful. It reminded me (not that I needed it, but still) why I love you dearly. And your dad sounds just as wonderful as he did when we were in college :)

Hug that sweet little boy for me--tender like his mama. Love you both!

Anonymous said...

And that it what I call embracing your cup! Yes, being a mother definitely keeps us at His feet.

Molly

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh Erin! I almost cried during this post. I don't know if I could handle watching my child's heart break. I know it'll happen, but I just pray that I'm not around the kid(s) that do it. I hate to see what "protective" manner comes out in me. I LOVED your dad's email. Wonderful advice for mamas everywhere.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved