Friday, December 14, 2007

All Christmas - All Cookies - All Day!!!!

Yesterday the boys and I spent the entire day making, baking, and decorating cookies! Looking back I can say that we had a blast, but the day did not go exactly as I had envisioned. . .

Elijah began the day with an explosion of epic proportions (if you know what I mean). The explosion was so large and toxic that between giving him a full body bath, changing sheets, laundering sheets and pjs, cleaning the mattress, etc. I began the day an hour behind schedule.

But, eventually the big boys and I did begin mixing ingredients together in order to produce some of my great grandmother's sour cream sugar cookies. I turned my back on the boys only momentarily to get some spices out of my spice drawer. When I returned to them I found that someone (I'm not naming names) stuck my recipe in the batter. His brother stood beside him smiling and giggling under his breath. A few minutes later that same sweet someone turned the upright mixer on before I was finished adding ingredients. And, he didn't turn it on the "stir" setting, so as you can imagine, the kitchen looked like a winter wonderland. Thanks for adding to the festiveness of the day, my darling JCT.







Isn't that the way it goes with toddlers? We dream up these beautiful, warm, cozy dreams of doing something memorable with our sweet little ones, and it never quite happens as smoothly or easily in real life. But, it is good - it may not be "easy," but it is good.



I was talking to a friend the other day, and she also has 3 children. She was describing to me her husband's birthday dinner. Their family went out to a restaurant to celebrate. She said with hesitation, "It was. . . umm. . . good. I mean really it was good. It is our family right now." And, I said, "Say no more. I know exactly what you mean." It may not be easy. It may not be relaxed and completely enjoyable. But, it is good. And, neither she nor I would trade our lots for anything. The blessings far outweigh the inconveniences.



So, about yesterday. . .



The boys had a blast. And, watching them have so much fun together made the entire day worth it! I love to watch my children interact and enjoy each other. These are life-long friendships that I am watching develop. Unique, precious friendships.



We also made Reeses PB cup cookies. I asked the boys to "undress" the Reeses cups. I think JCT ate most of the ones that he "undressed!" Here he is realizing that he has been caught after Mama has clearly told him over and over to not eat all the Reeses!

So, after slaving in the kitchen all day, Daddy came home and brought this.




Mrs. Vera, an eighty six year old patient of his, made him this delicious chocolate cake. Let's just say that there is enough sugar in our home to keep my boys hyped up and awake from now until Christmas. As you can see, Erik, JCT, and I opted for the chocolate cake over the cookies. Joshua chose to enjoy several sugar cookies.

And, as I watched him savor the sweet goodness of my great-grandmother's cookie recipe, it reminded me of a strawberry blond, pig-tailed, little girl who loved to eat those cookies twenty some odd years ago. I made Joshua look me in the eyes, and I said, "Do you taste that sweetness? That taste will become something you look forward to every year. We will make these same cookies every Christmas until you are grown. Enjoy them, sweet boy."



Then, after dessert the five of us sat together and watched Rudolf. The boys were glued to the TV throughout the movie, and as they watched I looked around the room. Elijah was playing quietly on the floor, and Erik had JCT snuggled on his lap. Joshua had his head in my lap, and I was scratching his back. These are the times that I hope they will remember.



Now today we are distributing some of that sweetness because I can only handle so much sugar under my roof at one time!

3 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

We're just getting ready to start our cookie extravaganza this weekend. Thanks for all the reminders. (Note to self: Don't turn back on children, and remember that this is your family right now.)

I love Christmas baking. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions. But like you, I need to get most of it out of the house as soon as I can!

Sunshine said...

How sweet! Is there anyway that you would be willing to share the recipe for the sugar cookies? Have a great night - Sunshine

Deidre said...

That day sounds wonderful to me, Erin. I need to have a day like that with my girls. We've all been gloomy around here and my girls are getting a little antsy about it. I need to dream up something fun (and then pray hard for God to help me WANT to do it :)- Hey, maybe I need your grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. I don't have a good one.

Thank you so much for you comment on my blog tonight. I just walked in the door from our youth Christmas party. We had a lot of events planned, but our precious kids wanted to go the family whose grandson just passed away. We sang Christmas carols and they thoroughly enjoyed having 70 youth filling their living room. It was special.

My girls are at my parents and I'm turning in. It was comforting to pull up my blog and see you were praying for me. I'm so thankful God impresses people to pray for us when we don't feel we can pray ourselves. Thank you!!!

Love you, Deidre


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved