Monday, December 03, 2007

Reflections and Mistletoe




I just heard "The River" by Sarah McLachlan. It is a Christmas song, and I haven't heard it since this time last year. As soon as I heard the first few notes of the song, I felt a strange melancholy feeling come over me. Her music tends to do that to me.


Last year at this time, we were renovating our home and living in a small rent house in town. We didn't put up a Christmas tree or any decor. The finishing touches were being made on our home, and we were scheduled to move in after we got back from our holiday traveling.


So much has changed in my life over the past year. First of all, God blessed us with another sweet son, and what a blessing his little life has been! But, not only did God bless us with a son, but he blessed Erik and I by bringing two sets of our dearest friends to live close to us. First, Sean and Deana moved here last January. Then, over the summer Marcus and Sara moved here. And, my life is richer and fuller because of their presence here. I don't know how long we will all live close, but the day to day blessing of their friendships are a constant source of joy for me. And, I am thankful.


It has been a good year.


This year I have lived in the home that I love dearly. My family has grown. I got to have one of my best friends in the delivery room with me while I had Elijah. And, I got to be present in the delivery room while one of my best friends had her first child. I watched as my sweet boys took flowers to a precious little girl for the first time. I have grown to love and care for that sweet girl, and I have gotten to hear her call me "Aunt Erin." (Typing that makes my eyes burn with tears.) This year has been full. BBQs with friends, going to the pumpkin patch, Joshua starting preschool, playdates at the mall, watching my Elijah grow, watching my big boys become friends, my husband getting to work with his best friend. . .


Yes, it has been a good year. So, today after a long talk over a cold Caffeine free Dr. Pepper with a good friend, I am resting in the joy that is mine today. I'm attempting to not borrow trouble by worrying about what may or may not happen tomorrow. Today is good. And, today is where I am living - with all my heart and soul.


And, now after all my deep reflections, here are some pictures from this weekend.



We decorated for Christmas on Saturday. I exchanged my coffee for apple cider and put Christmas music in the CD player. Erik was gone all day - running a half-marathon and covering a local football game. He didn't get home until late in the afternoon. I had cider simmering on the stove top along with a pot of white bean chicken chili. The boys were busy decorating the Christmas tree cake we made to celebrate the day, and a mistletoe candle was burning on the counter top. Welcome home, sweet husband! I try my best to make our home as warm and inviting as I can for my love - especially after a long day. And, we had fun decorating the tree and eating cake and really just being together.


Elijah was so excited to see his Daddy!



The Christmas Tree Cake. . .



Yesterday I scanned the yard for mistletoe. "Around these here parts" the way people have told me to get fresh mistletoe is to shoot it out of the tree with a gun. The word "Erin" and the word "gun" really shouldn't even be in the same sentence because they aren't compatible. So, I am guessing fresh mistletoe is not going to be a real possibility for me. I just keep scanning the trees hoping that I can find some close enough to reach. . . with a ladder. . . a really big ladder. That stuff is high!!


For all of my distant friends and family: I am planning to finish posting our renovation pics soon. And, I will post a picture of the fall project in the backyard! Love you all!


5 comments:

Deidre said...

YUM! That Christmas tree cake looks precious! I love it. You know I'll have to try this.

Reading about your home makes me want to load us all up and visit you - apple cider is my weakness :)

I remember last year when you were posting about being bummed about not decorating. I pray this Christmas is a very special one for you, Erin.

picturesofhisgrace said...

Wish I could come over and steal a moment with you guys. We miss you. Love you.---Your Karen

P.S.-I finished my starbucks coffee this weekend. It was wonderful. Thank you for the gift. I just started on a bag of Biff's Bifferdoodle and of course, I thought of you.

Christi said...

What a sweet post, and a beautiful reminder to take each day as it comes!

Sara said...

I will never be able to tell you how special it was to have you with us during Grace's arrival. Love you!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Wow, your littlest one has grown a ton in the past couple of weeks. He's now starting to look so much like his brothers!

This was a beautiful post. I love Christmas, it really is a wonderful time to sit and reflect on the past year.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved