Monday, March 03, 2008

In His Grip. . . (Nana's notes on Joshua Ch. 1)

After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' aide; "Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them -- the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. . . No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you.
I will never leave you nor forsake you.
Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:1-9
Now for Nana's notes (I have written the verses in NIV, but Nana uses the NAS). . .
First in v5 God says to him that "no man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you."
"fail" in Hebrew is "slacken" and "forsake" is "loosen or reliquish" It gives the sense of Him having Joshua in His grip and that He would never slacken or loosen/reliquish His grip on Joshua. By the way that is also in the New Testament for us Heb 13:5.

Then v.6 He tells Joshua to, "Be strong and Courageous, for you shall give this people possession of the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. " The word "strong" is "to fasten upon or to be attached to" and "courageous" is "to be bold and alert and strong".

The whole picture is one of God holding us in His grip like the picture I sent to you on the front of Kinsman Redeemer study. He grips us like one of them is gripping the others arm... and in response he calls us to fasten ourselves to Him, to be strong (in His strength and since He is with us and will not let go)... so we hold onto Him like the other man is holding on also.
Ah, if we could grasp that truth! He won't let us go... means for US to go in and take the land He has given to us in our own lives.. that means we trust and have no fear... and in His power take the territory that is ours in Christ Jesus... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self control, etc. Ah... to live in that!

love you much...
your mommy (a.k.a. Nana)

Joshua, my Joshua, my little leader, my oldest son, my first-born, my beautiful, tender little warrior, my brave knight, my precious one,
These verses are part of the reason that your Daddy and I gave you your name. We knew that you would be the leader of our children, our first-born. The Old Testament man, Joshua, was a wonderful warrior/leader, a very worthy namesake.
You are a unique and precious boy - tender and tough all in the same little boy body, and I love you for it. I love you just the way God made you, my little man. Always remember that you are in His grip. In essence what God says in these verses is. . .
I have you in my grip, and I will not let you go. I will not leave you. I will be with you, holding tightly, firmly to you. Now, you must fasten yourself to Me and be alert, be bold.
Just as God had huge plans to use Joshua to conquer lands in His name, He has huge plans to use you, my little warrior, to conquer lands of your own. Walking with God makes everyday life an extraordinary adventure! Keep your eyes fixed on Him, do not look to the right or to the left, just straight into His sweet face. Meditate on His word, live according to it. Breath by breath walk with Him, hand in hand let nothing come between you and Him, and you will never cease to grow and prosper as long as live. Jesus bless your little life. I love you, my sweet little lover of God.
Your Mommy

3 comments:

Jackson said...

"Be strong and courageous"... let's just keep praying that for our boys!!!

Jen said...

I love that picture of him! Awesome verses. I am thankful that I am in His grip.

Lindsay said...

Wow. I was blog hopping and came across yours. I have tear filled eyes after reading this entry. As a mom, to see how you have so thoughtfully composed a beautiful love letter to your son based on God's letter to us is really beyond words for me. I am inspired by what you have done as we too named our children for the meanings. Thank you!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved