Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A Bright Spot. . .

So, the bracket is complete, and we are happy with the outcome!


My sweet husband only watched the last minute and 30 seconds of the game, but at least I hope it brought a little smile to his face. I had a talk with God about the big game earlier in the day on Monday. I asked him to please let the heels win for Erik's sake, and what do you know, He did!

Today has been an interesting day for me. It started off really lousy, but got a whole lot better after I was blessed to have two long focused conversations with my sweet husband. I was able to ask a lot of questions and learn a lot more about the accident and state of his parent's health. It is hard to be away from Erik during this tragedy, but I know that I am where I am supposed to be, and he is where he is supposed to be. People constantly say to me, "I know you wish that you were there with him." And, in part, I guess that is true, but I think God did an even better thing by sending him on ahead of me. Now, let me tell you why. . .

Erik's good friend, Kevin, drove 8 hours on Sunday to be with Erik. Chris drove 11 hours with Jason so that Jason wouldn't be alone. And, Drew, who was in both Erik and Jason's weddings, drove from Montgomery to be with them. So, Erik and Jason spent Sunday and Monday with 3 of their best friends. Three Godly men to whom I will forever be indebted. Today through tears Erik described how these men loved on him and Jason. They were a source of strength and encouragement. They cried with them, and they laughed with them. And, I think it was Jesus' perfect plan for Erik and Jason to have these special friends walk with them through this incredibly, indescribably difficult time. Erik called me Sunday night from one of our favorite New Orleans restaurants. The music was loud and there was so much talking in the background. And, in my mind, I pictured these 5 men, exhausted emotionally and physically, sitting around a table sipping sweet tea. And, all of the sudden in the middle of Erik and my quick conversation, I heard a beautiful thing. . .

On one of the hardest days of his life, I heard Jason laugh. And, not just a little laugh. No, I am talking about the kind of laugh that comes from deep down inside. And, it made my heart smile.

How do you say thank you for that? For 3 friends who dropped their life, left their wives and children, and came to be at your husband's side when he needed them most. Jen and I are so grateful. We will not soon forget.

So, yes, in a way, I am sad that I couldn't be there to go through these very hard first days with Erik, but I honestly think God had a better plan for Erik and Jason. Had I been there, a small part of Erik would have been worried about me, about how I was handling it all. But, instead, he and Jason were free to think only of their parents while good friends took good care of them.

Now, Erik's mom is pretty much the same. Nothing that Erik would call "significant" has happened. . . . yet. And, Erik's dad is healing from his surgery on Monday, and will go back to surgery tomorrow to repair the breaks in his arm and wrist. He's in a lot of pain, so please pray for them to get his meds just right ~ so that he isn't in too much pain, and he isn't too fuzzy headed either. And, of course, pray for Erik's mom that she will begin to respond and act voluntarily. And, pray for Sean as he takes care of his own patients and some of Erik's, too.

7 comments:

picturesofhisgrace said...

I sit with tears in my eyes as I read your post. I am sorry I missed your call yesterday. But I found your message, and I cried while I listened to you. Wish I could be at your house to give you a hug and sit down and drink a cup of Bifferdoodle with you, and help hold one of those sweet boys of yours. I know it has been hard to be away from Erik. I am so thankful that Kevin decided to go. Only God knew when Kevin made out his schedule that he would need those days off. Your family is like family to us. Kevin was right where he was supposed to be those days. I am praying and believing that the Lord will bring healing. I love you!

Linda said...

Praying for all of you. The Lord puts you on my heart often throughout the day.

Sunshine said...

I am praying for you and your sweet husband. For the medical team treating your husband's parents, for your brother in law and his wife - for your entire family. That God would wrap Himself so close to you in the next days and weeks. May you have an amazing Easter weekend. I am in awe of how He has shown up and called friends to be there with you - to walk you through - WOW that is awesome. Sunshine

Jenna said...

I love how God always knows what is best for us. Continuing to pray for your sweet family!

Sarah said...

You and Jen were those friends to me in college, and I still love you so much for it! It was so good to talk to you yesterday, and I'm praying for you and everybody else all throughout each day. I'm praying for a breakthrough for their mom, and that God will continue to support Erik and Jason through others down there. Love you, sweet friend!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Hello Erin, I wanted to leave a comment here rather to be sure you got it, to let you know Don and I are praying for all of our family members, for both parents to be healed to completely restored health, and for peace, strength, comfort and anything you might need at any given moment, for God to provide that for you through the many hands and feet of those around you, who love you all dearly. We'll keep checking back for updates and will be faithful to pray daily. You and Jen are such sweethearts that I know not only must you have married wonderful men, but those men didn't get that way by accident, it was at the hands of these two precious people who raised them.

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Hi Erin! Just wanted to let you know that we are still praying for Erik's parents and for all of you.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Love,
Erin


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved