Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Flying Free



Yesterday morning was one of those calm, warm, and sunny beautiful summer mornings. As soon as I had taken my final sip of coffee and the boys had gotten themselves dressed, we headed outside to enjoy the slight breeze and the comfortably warm sunshine. I had decided the night before that it was time to release our beautiful butterflies. We watched them eat and fly around their little habitat inside our home for a few days, and I was beginning to feel sorry for them. I knew that they needed to spread their sweet wings and fly free...

So, we headed out to the backyard. Joshua did the honors while I sat back and took it all in from behind the lens of my camera. Slowly he unzipped the habitat, and one by one they exited...

Each time a butterfly flew out (there were 5 of them), I attempted to get a picture of it flying free with a backdrop of the big blue sky. But, each time I failed. They flew away so fast. I think they were quite happy with their new home!
After they were all gone, I walked around the backyard trying to find one of them on a flower or a leaf sipping from a drop of early morning dew, but it was to no avail. They were gone. They had spread their pretty little wings, and they were gone.

And, as the boys attention shifted to bikes, baseballs, and swings, I found myself unable to shake a little bit of melancholy that seemed to permeate my thoughts. I couldn't help thinking about turning my little butterflies loose one day. Silly me, I know. But, I love these little men with my whole heart, and the thought of setting them free one day makes my heart sad. Can't they stay here forever, stay little forever? The learning, the growing, the laughter, the playing, it is so much fun. Being their mom is such a joy ~ the greatest joy of my life. But, I realize that the setting free part is the whole reason God gave them to me, and so it is a good thing. And, in time I am certain that I will be ready. Neither of us is ready now. Thankfully.
Now, on to part two of "Flying Free"...

So, while I was straightening the kitchen, and the boys were finishing lunch, Joshua says to me, "Hey, Mom! There! is! a! bird! in! the! bird feeder!!!!" It was one of those comments that I heard but didn't actually process for a few minutes. And, when I did finally process it, I must admit that I didn't really believe him. I thought to myself something along the lines of, "Ahh. . . yes, and there is a bat in the batting cage. . ." (We don't really own a batting cage. It was just the first thing that came to my mind.) :-) I said something like, "Really? A bird got inside the bird feeder?" He insisted it was so, and by golly, he was right!
So, I did what any bird-loving mother of four boys would do ~
I put on a show!
Here was my audience. . .
Cute, huh?
Now, I didn't really think this bird would harm me on purpose, but I was afraid that in its fear and eagerness to fly free it might accidentally run its little beak into me. So, I was prepared. I wore my jean jacket, Erik's work gloves, Joshua's batman mask, and the boys' cowboy hat. This way, most of my skin was covered. Joshua took a picture. . .
Once I was dressed in my protective bird-freeing gear, I headed out the backdoor.
I took the bird feeder down, opened it up, and waited. . .
and waited. . . and waited. . .
I began to fear that maybe he had hurt one of his wings attempting to fly while inside the feeder. I envisioned myself taking the bird in bird feeder to the vet.
But, thankfully, it never came to that. Finally, after about 20 minutes the cute little bird flew free! I so wanted to take a picture of him flying free. But, once again I was not fast enough! That little guy flew quickly into a tree in the woods just behind our back porch. I just hope he isn't afraid to come back and dine with us again. Watching the birds at our bird feeder is one of my favorite things to do first thing in the morning while I sip my coffee. :-)
Enough flying free for this week.
I just hope when my little men do finally fly free they don't leave quite so quickly and without looking back.
Did you hear that, sweet boys?

2 comments:

deana b said...

You are such a good mommy. Especially knowing how you really only like birds from a distance! And loved the batman mask! I miss you and will see you soon!

Sam said...

I love the photo of your sweet boys watching the butterfly fly free. Beautiful.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved