Saturday, July 04, 2009

2009 Fourth of July Parade

It began with 7 kids and a few pots and pans, and now it lasts nearly an hour and consists of everything from firetrucks to horses! It is our community's fourth of July parade, and everyone is welcome to be in it! The parade takes place in the middle of the residential part of our town instead of downtown like all the other parades. I love this because it gives the parade more of a family-feel! Anyway, friends and families gather in lawns to watch and talk. The parade itself consists of both adults and kids on everything from tractors, trailers, and 4-wheelers to lawn mowers, bikes, and golf carts ~ all decorated in red, white, and blue, of course!

The boys' babysitter, Miss Megan, asked them to ride in a trailer behind her 4 wheeler, and they, of course, were thrilled!

Here they are with Miss Megan and Mr. Phillip. . .

Heading out of the driveway to go line up. . .


Sweet Afton waiting in the line-up. . .


Here we are waiting patiently for the parade to begin. . .

Okay, I am going to stop right here and say something completely unrelated to Independence Day. You know that verse in James that talks about taking care of the widows and the orphans? Well, I haven't really spent a ton of time meditating on it until lately. Erik has been gone a lot more than ever before in our marriage ~ to take care of his parents, and I love that he does this. I miss him, but it is a very good thing. But, in his absence I have learned the value of this verse. So many people have jumped in and volunteered to help while Erik is away ~ especially men, and it means so much to me. I have had men volunteer to do everything from cut our grass to take my trash out on trash day. I was reminded of this today when the parade was over. I stood up and turned to put something away in my diaper bag. I was talking to my mom, and before we blinked Megan's Daddy had taken our fold up chairs, collapsed them and swung them over his shoulder to carry for us. It is little things like this that serve to remind me that even when Erik is away, I am not alone. We have a sweet community, and I am so thankful.
And, speaking of taking care. . . Here is a picture of Megan's Mom taking care of Erik Daniel. I think she held him the entire morning!


And, here they come. . .
Now, Erik since you couldn't be here I thought I'd take pictures of a few of your friends. Hope this makes you smile. . . :-)
It is hard to see in the above picture, but their arms are full! Isn't that great!!!!!! :-)
This little girl and I have the same name and her Daddy is a football coach. . .
Now, I know this guy will make you smile. . .
Who is that cool cat. . .
After the parade we headed back to the neighborhood circle for cookies, lemonade. . .

the pledge, and the singing of the national anthem. . .


And, just as you requested I recorded the boys. . .




We love you! Happy Fourth!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, this looks so All-American I want to pack up and move there today. (Well, except that I have sworn off packing and moving forever!)

Hope you had a fabulous 4th.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved