Monday, February 19, 2007

2 Good Reasons to Celebrate!


I am still a bit behind due to our little internet miscommunication problems. I have had some family and a dear friend (yes, you Sara) request some pics from the boys birthday parties. Better late than never!

Joshua had a Thomas cake - complete with Annie and Clarabel behind (they didn't make the picture). And, James Christofer had a James cake complete with coal tender. Every year I swear that next year I WILL NOT do it again. I will buy their cakes or have them made, but I WILL NOT make them. And, by the time the next birthday rolls around . . . I do it again. A hopeless case am I!

The boys had one birthday party. They shared it. And, I don't think that they minded it one bit!! Both love trains - Thomas to be exact, so as you can tell by the cakes, we had a Thomas themed party this year!! The night before the party I could harldly sleep. I was so excited!! I couldn't wait for them to experience the balloons, friends, cake, presents, all the wonderful things that go along with children's birthday parties!!
And, the day was a day like no other. I watched as my firstborn play with his friends, and I was awestruck by how BIG he is! I thought back to the day he was born. I don't think I really believed he'd ever be 4! Somehow, I thought he would be a baby forever, and then, I blinked and what happened? He grew, and he has friends, and he likes to play with trains and my baby has turned into a little boy. And, my JCT, is not really a baby anymore. He is 2!! He reminds me of this daily when he looks at me with confident green eyes and says, "I can do it. . . by mysef." My little do-it-yourself man is growing up!
Notice in the background of the picture of JCT and Joshua getting ready to blow out their candles - there is a little boy with a basketball on his shirt. This is Reed, a.k.a. Joshua's "bestest buddy." Reed is a little miracle. His parents tried to have children for over 10 years. They had two children during that ten year period that were born too early and lived only a few days - one was a boy and the other a little girl. Reed was born when Lisa was 23 weeks pregnant. He weighed a whopping 1 pound and 1 ounce, and just look at the little guy now!! He is a happy healthy independent little 4 year old!! A blessed miracle he is, and we love him to pieces.


I love this picture. I am not sure why? I love that the picture of Joshua and James Christofer is in the background. And, I love that Joshua looks as if he is thinking, deeply. He is my deep thinker boy, and goodness, I love him. And, I love JCT, and what could be better than a day to celebrate the two of them. They are reasons to celebrate that is for sure!














11 comments:

Sara said...

Those cakes are AMAZING Erin. Wow! I am impressed. I think I want a Thomas the Train cake by you for my next birthday. The boys are too cute. Can't wait to see them again.

Mrs. C said...

I LOVE the cakes! I make my own too (and now for my nephew as well). I made a train 4 years ago (my first major cake endeavor) but it didn't look nearly as good as yours (the shape was the main issue - I used bread pans). My almost 3 year old is having a train themed party this year (he loves Thomas too) as well. I hope you don't mind me asking - HOW did you get the engines to actually LOOK like engines? Do you carve the cake out somehow or did you get a mold? I would really love to know. :)

Lori said...

Erin the cakes are amazing. I did those cakes for the first 5 years, then gave up. They are A LOT OF WORK, but so worth it when you see their faces =)

Erin said...

Cambell Corner -

It is a mold!! When I start cutting cakes, I just make a mess!! Actually I had to cut and layer James's tender and Annie and Clarabel, and I cut 4 out of 5 of the tips of my fingers on my left hand!! Not good with a knife!!

Anyway, the engines are a Wilton mold. I searched train cakes on the internet and eventually found this mold. It was really easy to do! I used a 3-D duck mold for Joshua's first birthday, and I was so intimidated. But, that one was easy, too. 3-D molds are much easier to me to use than trying to layer cakes!! But, I definitely recommend using a pound cake mix instead of regular cake mix. Oh, and I used fondant for the eyes and smile. You can cut out the shapes exactly the way you want, and they just look better to me! I hope that helps! Wish you lived down the street! I'd love to come over and help you do it!!

Deidre said...

Erin, those cakes are just amazing. You are so talented. I would hate to think what I would've done with that task. And, your boys are just precious. I love that last picture. He looks so content.

What a great mommy you are!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I love the cakes! They are fabulous! Birthdays are bittersweet aren't they. We love to watch them learn and achieve, but we're saddened just a little to see the very independence it forms. Looks like you gave them a very memorable celebration.

Mrs. C said...

Erin,

Thank you! I have used molds for a soccer ball, football, teddy bear cakes, etc. I will just have to look for the train! Meanwhile my to-be-six year old wants a spiderman theme this year (which cracks me up b/c he has never seen the movies or read the comics).

Unfortunately I live in PA...maybe I will actually post a picture come April. We'll see. That means I have to get a digital camera (yes...we are still in the dark ages)! Thanks again!

Sarah said...

Erin, do you remember when we were cutting fruit for Jen's bridal shower at my tiny married housing apt. and ended up bleeding all over the honeydew? I can't remember which one of us cut ourselves, but thinking back on it still makes me queasy--and laugh!

Your cakes are fantastic. If you'd like to make a few others for 5/8, 8/30, and 10/8, just let me know ;)

Big Mama said...

I can't believe you made those cakes. They are so cute!

Kelly said...

Great cakes! I also find myself making cakes each year, but never that elaborate.

Jennifer said...

Erin- I, too, am VERY impressed by your cake making skills. I definitely do NOT possess an ounce of talent in that area.
How cool that your boys share a birthday (2-4 is also my husband's bday!) I am glad Elijah decided to wait a bit! :-)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved