Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Moment

I've been complaining a lot lately. Because life with 3 little ones can be quite difficult at times. In fact, I have been overwhelmed with life in general. I completely forgot about the boys' haircuts this morning. So, not only do I feel awful for wasting an hour of my hairdresser's time (I dropped by and payed her to relieve my guilty conscience), but also my boys now have to wear shaggy hair for the next 2 weeks until she can work them into her schedule. Ugghh. It would be fine if this was an isolated event, but I have felt quite often lately that my life is running away from me, leaving me confused and scratching my head somewhere in the distance.

Then, today I had one of those moments. You know, one of those moments that makes it all worth it. Amidst the frustration of missing the hair appt., the busyness of getting lunches made, eaten, and dishes cleaned, 4 loads of laundry cleaned, dried and folded, several imminent phone calls made, sticky situations discussed, errands run, a dog taken out twice to do "his job," a book or two read, an email or two responded to, a baby nursed twice, solid foods attempted twice, discipline handed out - along with love, and two boys prepped for naps, amidst the blur that is my life at this particular stage, I had a moment. I was holding JCT, singing, rocking, and getting him ready to lay down for his nap when it hit me.

I like to think of the whole rocking thing as a subtle form of hypnosis. There is a certain way to hold him and sing to him. And, if you do it just right, he will slowly begin to blink his eyes, long sleepy blinks. Then, sweetly, softly, he will drift away to sleepyland in my arms. And, I will begin to lower him down to his trundle bed on the floor, but just before I put him down, he will open his eyes, look up at me, and say in a quiet sleepy voice, "Sing me one more song, Mommy, one more song, please. Love you up to the moon song." And, I always oblige him this simple request because I love him, and I love the "love you up the moon" song. As soon as I begin singing, his eyes will once again close - this time not to be opened again until he has had an hour or two of rest filled sleep. It is a process that we do twice daily, once before nap and once before bedtime. It is a precious process and one that I take for granted far too often. But, today I didn't. Today I had a moment.

It was as I was singing to him that the thought occurred to me. I looked down at his pillow, with his silky placed just so over his pillowcase - just the way I always do it. And, the sweetness of these days hit me smack in the face.

And, I wondered, one day will I be willing to give almost anything to go back and live one day of my life right now again? To be young and healthy, to have the great privilege of holding a little hand as I cross a parking lot, to feed tiny pieces of bread to a growing baby, to kiss a boo boo, or to rock a little boy to sleep in my arms. To be completely, wholeheartedly irreplaceable to three little boys who call me mom. Three little boys who love me, trust me, and miss me when we are apart. These are the things that define this stage of my life, simple, wonderful things. They are the little everyday things that I take for granted so often.

These are long days. I spend a lot of time watching the clock, counting down until the reinforcements come in to take over, or Erik gets home, anyway. But, these are also very sweet days. I just need to remember that. . .

Lord, make me ever mindful of the blessing that is my life today. I spend much too much time thinking about and planning for tomorrow. I spend much too much time worrying about trivial things. Teach me to live in the moment, living each moment to fullest, being all there, all in the moment, not in my thoughts, worries, or plans. I want to parent like You, Father. I love You. Amen

21 comments:

Deidre said...

Oh, I think about this all the time, Erin. I often remind myself that I will miss every moment I'm going through right now when my girls are older. I believe God reminds me of that often throughout my day just so I'll slow down and enjoy some of the chaos.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I felt that today as I was rocking Little Wiseman (6mo). I even whispered to him "I better hold you close while I still can, and while your still tiny..."

Such a mom moment!

Fun With Five said...

What a beautiful post and wonderful reminder. It's good to remember that I am not the only one who feels this way, and that these days shall pass all too quickly.

Jackson said...

I am always reminded by my friends with older children, "This is the sweetest and most rich time of your life; it flies by Ali; love every moment with them now." So, we better heed that advice, huh! They must know what they are talking about!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

This reminds me of how people have told me that the days are long but the years are short. Thanks for the reminder to cherish these days with little ones. It is hard to imagine a day when my little ones will be too big to rock, but I know it will be here all too soon.

Amy said...

I often have these same thoughts when the days are busy and difficult. I try to remind myself how fleeting this time is and how I will wish for it all back - never believing I could have complained about it. It IS such a privilege to be a mommy.

Jessica said...

It is so hard to just sit and soak it in! It seems like there is always something else that needs to be done. Thanks for this sweet reminder!

Tara Lee said...

Thank you! This has been on my heart for so long....these really are sweet days and once gone, we can't really ever get them back. Let's cherish them and let all the trivial fade into the background...Thank you Erin!!!

Tami said...

What a great reminder for me. I am constantly reminding myself of this as I am trying to get "it" all done.

This week, the kids and I have been sick and so it has been nice to slow down and just love on them and soak in the memories of them at this age. I know it will be gone far too soon.

This Journey of Mine said...

This is so good, so good. Over the last year, I've been praying for God to restore the joy to my motherhood. Because, I too, got caught up in the exhaustion of it all. When He restored me, it was with a double portion. I am on constant reminder that I only have them at this age and stage for a mere second of my life. I want to enjoy every minute of them now. What a blessing my boys are to me, a gift from God.

picturesofhisgrace said...

I think you savor the days with your boys more than you give yourself credit for. With as young as your boys are, I know it can be overwhelming. I am glad you are enjoying these sweet moments. I regret not savoring the moments I had with Hannah and Alli when they were this age. Trying to do more of it these days even though the girls are 9 1/2 and 6 1/2. Aaron is almost four. He's in school everyday, all day. But I know this is best for everyone. I just look really forward to them coming home from school everyday, and I try to take several minutes just to sit with him and read him a book at night. I always enjoy the blog. You are such a sweet and dear person. It always lifts my spirits to read what you are thinking. Love you, your karen

Tyna said...

Oh, sob!! Lovely...thank you for the reminder.

Kelly said...

Yes! I needed to read this today. I so desire to not let the moments pass and be gone forever. Beautiful reminder.

Ellen said...

You brought tears to my eyes! I've been reading your blog for months, but this post really touched my heart. I am in the same phase of life and often forget how short it will be. Thanks for the encouragement!

HW said...

Yes. Yes, one day you will be willing to give almost anything to go back to those sweet days.
My son is 16 and my daughter 13 and, althought this phase is great, I desperately miss the days of cuddles and bedtime routines, of holding precious hands in mine, of making toddler lunches. These days I find myself just staring at them when they don't realize it because I want to soak them up any way I can - and they certainly aren't going to lounge in my arms and drift off to sleep. In fact, on weekends, Daddy and I are in bed before they are.
I don't say that to negate the long days of the phase you are in now. I certainly remember watching the clock - waiting for Daddy to arrive to relieve me.
Long days. Short years.

Sunshine said...

WOW - I am going to come back again and again to read this post - esp with the kind of days we have had recently - thanks for the precious reminder!!!!!!!! Sunshine

Casey said...

I am really feeling this lately, as my little boy is nearing 9 mos. He is crawling, and pulling up, and clapping, and waving. All things I love and am so proud of. But I really see how quickly time is passing. I miss my sweet newborn and am trying my hardest to take every moment in.

Erin Neiner said...

We push through to get our days over with to only one day wish them back again. Thank you for this. You spoke my heart exactly! I am going to link this post on my blog...it is a wonderful reminder to us young moms.

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

beautifully written...God is sure good in giving us these moments to remind us of our sweet little blessings. I cherish those moments as often as I can...they are fleeting.
I am a new mom of three girls and I am surprised that I am not bald or crazy. But, rather God has also given me those moments to put me back into reality and be reminded of the gifts that my girls truly are to me.
Bella

PartyofFive said...

Wonderful post. It is hard to see/realize that it goes so fast when you are in the midst of it all. Just now, as my 3 have turned 10, 8 and 6 have I been able to see how truly fast the time has gone. It seems that they were just 4, 2 and a newborn. I truly wish that time back. Enjoy every moment...it is fleeting.

Unknown said...

I just wandered over to your blog from Big Mama's and I love it! What a sweet entry about embracing the moment. This will definitely remind me tonight while I'm rocking my baby boy to stay a little longer and really live that moment. I won't have that opportunity forever! Sweet blessings to you and your family!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved