Saturday, February 16, 2008

Not to be outdone by the youngest. . .

This post was originally, wholly, supposed to be about this little one. . .






Let me introduce you, this is my youngest, my darling little surprise from God. The sonographer gave us a glimpse into this little one's life inside of me yesterday.


Yes, I am pregnant. It is official. There is a small strawberry sized child swimming around (or doing Karate, as the sonographer said) in my belly. I have had a little trouble believing that this baby was real. Mostly, I think, because this baby wasn't planned like the others. I wasn't mentally prepared for it. God sorta thrust this one upon us, and we are most grateful!

In fact, Amy, the sonographer looked at me very confused when I walked into her room. She expected me to be large with child. She remembered doing an ultrasound on me not that long ago and thought this US was of Elijah still in my belly. Thankfully, that was not the case. We laughed and explained that we simply got pregnant again fairly quickly.


I am always a bit nervous before the first US. Will there really be a baby in there? Will the heart be beating? Will the baby be okay? I'm not a sick pregnant person, and I'm not showing yet, so I really have had no proof that this little one was real. But, now I have my proof! Erik and I both think we most likely saw boy parts on this little one, so we are convinced that we will be one boy short of a basketball team!!! I am 12 weeks and 2 days! Time is flying!!!!


After the US Erik and I hurried home, fed the kids, and took them to the church for a much beloved P.N.O. (Parent's Night Out). After dropping them off, Erik and I headed to a local restaurant for dinner. We ate and talked without interruption. We didn't have to cut up food, feed a baby, or say, "Sit on your bottom," fifty thousand times. We just talked. And, our conversation centered around the darling little one that we had seen a glimpse of earlier that day. For a few hours the new little one stole the show. . .


But, his moments of glory, as the focus of the family were not to last long. . . The tide turned dramatically moments after we returned home from picking up the boys at church. When we came in the door, I was proudly showing Joshua US pics of the new baby when JCT announced that his "tummy hwurts. . ." A few minutes later I looked down and found JCT standing at my feet with his arms wrapped around his tummy repeating over and over, "Mommy my tummy hwurts. My tummy hwurts, Mommy." I grabbed him and held him over the sink, and what happened next was volatile.


Now, this was a first for me. Somehow over the past 5 years, we have avoided the stomach virus. I have never had to hold, love, and clean up a vomity little boy. And, I'll say it is something I hope I never have to do again, but, unfortunately, I know that I will.


So, after JCT finished at the sink, I put him down, and he said, "Hmm. My tummy don't hwurt anymo'ore, Mommy. My tummy feels all better now!" And, off he went to play completely unphased by the entire thing. Of course, Joshua was phased by it, and whenever JCT got within 2 feet of him, he would yell, "Stay away from me!!!!!! YOU ARE SICK!!!! Get away!!!!!!! I DON'T WANNA GET SICK" And, then Joshua would run and hide from JCT. It is that selfless love we preach at our house coming out in trying times, you know?


Erik left for a high school basketball game, and I put Elijah to bed. I was actually hoping that this might be just a fluke emesis, a lone vomiting. I got the big boys upstairs and in bed. I left a bowl beside JCT's trundle bed, and told him to throw up in it if he felt sick again. After prayers and songs, I headed downstairs to relax and sterilize myself. But, a few minutes later, I heard Joshua crying on the monitior. "Not him, too, " I thought, and as fast as lightening I ran up the stairs.


What did I find?


I found Joshua sitting up in bed crying, and JCT curled up on his bed trying to sleep.


"Joshua, what is it?" I asked.

"JCT threw up!" Joshua cried to me.


Then, JCT sat up, perky I might add, and said with great pride, "Yeah, Mommy, I throwed up in dat bowl jus' like you tole me to!"


Oh, good. I checked the bowl, and sure enough a deposit had been made. At this point I thought JCT could not possibly be flesh of my flesh because he was handling this throwing up thing WAY too well. He didn't even need me.


So, I picked him up, took him to the bathroom and cleaned him off. Joshua followed us. After I finished cleaning JCT up, I noticed that he was unusually quiet. I asked him if he felt sick again, and he said yes. And, before I could get him to the toliet, he began again. As I told Erik, the poor child vomited like a grown man, huge amounts and with great force. All the while, Joshua is standing in the hall, crying. Except to say, crying, wouldn't do his response justice. He was wailing. You know when the Bible talks about, "and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth," yeah, that is more like what I heard as I held my little bear over the toliet. But, JCT, amazingly, remained completely unphased by it all - even with all his big brother's drama. Once again afterward he remarked that his tummy felt better, and this time he added that he wanted to go to sleep. So, after a little cleaning, I put them both back to bed.


Erik came home, and we went to bed. After a couple of false alarms and one more large deposit in the bedside bowl, I decided that I better sleep upstairs. I made a bed beside JCT's trundle, and the little guy has been fine ever since. I woke up to a home filled with the lovely aroma of Lysol and a little boy whispering, "Mommy, I'm tirsty. Can I have sometin' to dwink?"

His big brother still won't come within 2 feet of him, but other than that JCT's little life seems to be back to normal. Oh, and there is the fact that I won't let him kiss Elijah. And, this has been more tramatic to JCT than the projectile vomiting episodes of last night. Go figure?

Now that things have calmed down, and everyone is well, at least for the time being, my thoughts are beginning to float back to the little one inside of my belly. The little one who became real to us yesterday! We are so busy with the big boys that it was fun to focus on the new one for a little bit. I'll never forget the smile on Erik's face and the joy in his voice when he looked at the US screen and then at me and said with astonishment, "There is a little baby moving around inside of you!"

Unimaginable.

Thank You, Jesus.

13 comments:

picturesofhisgrace said...

How sweet!

Hope JCT is better and no one else gets it!

Jenna said...

Congrats! On the new little one, of course, and for getting through such a yucky night!

Deidre said...

Oh no! I can take any sickness from my children except the stomach virus - yuck! I pray they are feeling well soon (and that YOU do not get it)!

Amazing that you are pregnant again. So excited for you!

Jackson said...

Yay... Boy Momma...many prayers and much excitement coming from this Boy Momma of 4. We're raising an army!!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Beautiful Erin. That's God's poem inside of you. I'm excited to watch His handiwork unfold.

And the story about JCT and Joshua is hysterical. I love Joshua's response. Talk about keeping it real.

Jen said...

THe stomach bug is my biggest fear. Ours do not take the throwing up so well, neither do I. JCT is a trooper!

Sunshine said...

SO sweet (the picture of the baby) and SO sorry your little guy was sick - hope all is well at your house and everyone is on the mend - again CONGRATS on your little suprise blessing - two out of my three have been HUGE suprises - God is so good! Sunshine

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Congratulations. It never gets old seeing that first ultrasound picture, does it? What a blessing!

Glad all are feeling better.

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful "first" picture of your baby! Sorry to hear your other lil' ones were under the weather, hopefully the worst is over! Blessings!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Found you from Big Mama's blogroll & wanted to say Congratulations! How exciting & what a blessing straight from God.

I really enjoyed this post. JCT reminds me of my oldest. Not being able to kiss her baby sister would be far more traumatic for her than all the vomiting. Don't you love the way they look at things?

Mrs. C said...

Your first picture of the baby is perfect...what a great profile!

My boys have also surprised me with how well they handle being sick. Although Simms is usually the one with them because my stomach doesn't handle it well.

Kelly said...

What a precious, blessed surprise!

Kristin said...

Erin,

I can't remember how I found your blog but I've enjoyed reading through your writings. You have such a sweet spirit that is so contagious. What an adorable picture of your new baby's profile!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved