Monday, April 28, 2008

My Midnight Peek

Every night when we leave the boys room after our bedtime ritual, we always say, "Now go to sleep. You can talk quietly for a few minutes, but then please go to sleep." And, every night virtually the same thing happens.


They talk. . . and talk. . . and talk. . . and talk a little more. . . then they sing some. . . then talk a little more. . .

We rarely have to go up and tell them to go to sleep. Usually, eventually, one of them gets tired and falls asleep and the other quits talking and goes to sleep, too. In the beginning, Erik and I would stand by the monitor and listen to their little nightime conversations the same way we do our favorite TV show. But, now a year later, their cheerful chatter is backgroud noise that we are almost completely unaware of ~ unless someone begins to cry or we hear the infamous words, "Mommy, JCT needs to go poo poo!"

* A side note: JCT is what I like to call an "inconvenient pooper." He always has to go at naptime, nightime, or in the middle of Super Wal-Mart. But, that is another story. . .

Anyway, Saturday night we put the boys to bed a little early so that we could have a date-night at home. The boy's chatter went on and on for an extra long time because they were very awake when we layed them in their beds.


Meanwhile, Erik and I watched a sappy chick flick that had this pregnant mama in tears. Before we went to bed, I went upstairs to check on the little men ~ a quick midnight peek. They talked for such a long time that I just wanted to make sure they were both snug in their beds. What I found brought even more tears to my eyes.


JCT and Joshua were snuggled up next to eachother sleeping on one half of JCT's trundle bed. They had opened the blinds in their room, allowing the moonlight to stream down on their sweet angel faces. I watched them breathe and sleep for a few minutes, and then I tip-toed downstairs to share the precious details of my midnight peek with Erik.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how precious. I check on my boys too before I go to bed. Except the baby. Little Wiseman (9 mo) I SWEAR he wakes up if you BREATHE next to his door. So we can't usually check on him....

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, how sweet


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved