Thursday, May 22, 2008

It's Probably About time. . .

for us to transition Elijah upstairs to his crib.


I love to keep my babies close to me. When they are newborns, I can't get them close enough. I like to lay them on my chest because I feel like the rhythm of my breathing is a comfort to them. I think being born, coming out of a safe warm, dark place into a bright sensory filled world, would be quite unsettling. I'd cry, too, and if I remember correctly, I did.
Anyway, all that to say, I like to keep my babies close to me until we are both ready to separate a bit. The crazy thing is that I am keeping them close by longer and longer the more children we have. Joshua slept in the pack n play beside our bed for 4 months before we moved him to the nursery. With JCT it was 8 months. And, well, Elijah has, at least, made it to the closet. But, I still haven't had the heart to move him out of our room completely. He has been sleeping through the night for months now, but for some reason I find great comfort in knowing that if he needs me, I can be there in a heartbeat.
So, at 13 months of age, he is still rooming in with us. But, I must admit that when I went in to check on him during his morning nap this morning (He slept forever - I had to make sure he was breathing!) and found him with a shoe box and a pair of my shoes in the pack n play with him, I had a bit of a wake up call. I think he is a bit past ready to be in a crib in his own room a million miles away or upstairs, anyway.

2 comments:

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh my, that is sooooo sweet. I completely understand wanting to keep your babies close. Unfortunately, my husband can't sleep when they are close, so...

Cute picture. We also once used a closet as a temporary nursery.

Kim said...

Erin I feel the same way about my babies. I just couldn't bear to move them from my tummy to down the hall overnight! I keep them in my room for several months but since hubby wakes so early they would never go back to sleep so I have to move them :(

Still, you will find our little Ben nursing during his early morning feeding in our bed snuggled up between us. I love it!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved