Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Take Me out to the Ballgame!

Last night was Joshua's very first t-ball game. As I loaded my diaper bag full of snacks and drinks for the little boys, I couldn't help but think that this was the beginning of an era, a sports era. Considering the fact that God has blessed us with four boys, I am assuming that I will spend much of the next eighteen or so years at events like this.

Joshua was very excited about his first game! JCT cried because he couldn't "pway t-ball, too." I was excited but nervous about how I was going to balance a three year old, a one year old, watch Joshua play/Erik coach, and take pictures. But, I can honestly say that it went very well. There was an area of freshly mown grass beside the field, perfect for little ones to run, crawl, and play!

Joshua wouldn't let us fix his hat, so he wore it with his cute little ears bent over the whole game! He played very well and had a wonderful time!


Last week Joshua called Poppy, my Daddy, who loved baseball with all his heart and played from little league to college, and asked him what his number was. He wanted to wear Poppy's number! And, seven it was!


Here's the little man with his teamates!


This is how they play. . .

Two innings. Every child is up to bat once an inning. Every child plays in the outfield. If you have not watched a bunch of 5 year old boys and girls play t-ball, you are missing out! It was so cute! The batter bats and hits the ball, nearly missing the home plate coach with his swing. Then, he stands there until he realizes that everyone in the audience and all his coaches are yelling at him to run to first base. So, he begins to run. Then, the coach at home plate says, "Drop your bat!" The kid throws his bat - nearly missing the coach and the next player up to bat. You have to be a brave man to coach home plate in my estimation, anyway.

And, the outfield, it is just as humerous. You have 15 plus kids excited with gloves in hand "ready." The ball comes towards them, and they all run to it, gather around it, and stare at it. Finally, after the coaches yell, "Get the ball! Pick up the ball!" over and over. . . Finally, one of the kids will pick up the ball, put it in their glove, and then stand there looking proud of himself. After several seconds of some sort of a glory moment, the coaches' screams will break through and the child will hear his coaches saying, "Throw it to first!" or "Throw it home." And, he will throw it with all his little kid strength. Then, the whole process begins again with another batter. Quite fun to watch!

Here they are getting lined up to bat. . .


Joshua's first time up to bat. . .


Receiving instruction from Daddy. . .


As I watched Elijah hold on to the chain link fence, watching the game, and walking, I thought to myself, "This may be how Elijah learns to walk." After all, we will spend the next month or so at the ball field! Joshua has three games this week alone!!!

Shaking hands after the game!



And, I had to get a picture of Joshua's cute little post-game dirty knees!


Good job, little man! We are so proud of you!

6 comments:

Deidre said...

Oh my word, he is so cute. You're right - with 4 boys, you will be living at the ball park. I know you'll love every minute, though.

Jenny said...

That picture of him with his little ears bent over is SO.ADORABLE!!! What a fun post.

jeni said...

My boys' ears would do the same thing, and they wouldn't let me fix it either! So cute. I remember those days. They are adorable!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

That is so unbelievably cute.

picturesofhisgrace said...

What a handsome baseball player he is! Love the hat over the ears!

Unknown said...

So sweet. I love a man in uniform.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved