Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's Beginning to Feel A Lot Like Summertime!!

Home sweet home in the summertime!

We moved to our home eight July's ago. But, every once in a while I smell the smell of summer in the country, and it takes me back to our first days here. I thought our home was heaven on earth. And, you know what is crazy, eight years later, I still do. I love this place, and I thank God for it daily.

So, what does summer smell like to me? Fresh green plants, dirt, and wet, thick, humid air. You gotta love the south!

This summer we have a new toy. It is all Erik's. I still don't claim it. In fact, when they were putting it in, the pool guy, the concrete guy, and the brick guys would ask me questions about how we wanted things done, and I would give them my standard reply. . . "You'll have to ask my husband. This is his baby. I really have nothing to do with it." Erik wanted a lap pool to swim in for exercise, and so that is what we have sitting behind our home! Here it is. . .


I was so hung up on the naturalness of our backyard that I didn't want the added concrete, etc. that a pool would require. I am still getting used to our new view. We had to take out a few big trees in order to do this. The very best part about the whole deal is that our pool has an automatic cover on it. With the flip of a switch the pool is covered and uncovered. This is great for two reasons. . . One is that it keeps our little boys safe. The only time the pool is open is when it is being used. And, two is that it keeps leaves from falling into the pool. We have trees surrounding the pool, so this was completely necessary because I was not about to give up anymore trees!!

The weather is just now getting warm enough to swim, so yesterday Erik opened up the pool to do some maintenance cleaning. After he finished, we sat together on the steps located on the back side of the pool looking out at the pond and talked. Joshua and JCT were upstairs playing in their room, and Elijah was taking his morning nap. As we looked out at the pond, we began making summer plans for our blossoming family. We decided to make Friday night our special family night. Erik gets off early on Fridays, so we decided that it could be an afternoon of family time - swimming. Then, in the evening Erik will grill out for us. So many fun new summer recipes to try!

So, we didn't waste any time at all. We started last night! And, as Erik grilled on the back porch, I stood in the kitchen making mashed potatoes and salad. The big boys ran in and out of the back porch door, and Elijah played with a big cooking spoon and bowl on the kitchen floor under my feet. As I buzzed around the kitchen, I listened to a CD I made for our family. It is made up of songs that we love as a family - songs like. . . Banana Pancakes and Upside Down by Jack Johnson, Elijah Rock by Harry Connick Jr., and This is the Stuff by Carolyn Arrends. It is a fun CD, and every song reminds me of my sweet boys, makes me feel so blessed. And, as I listened, cooked, talked to Elijah, smiled at the big juicy watermelon on my counter, and looked out the window at my big boys playing and my husband grilling, I had a revelation.

I am a mom.

I am the mom of this family.

These wild Indians running around are my sons.

Erik and I have a family.

We are making traditions, daily.

Whoa.

I have arrived. I have dreamed of this day all my life. I have never really wanted much more in life than to be a wife and a mother. I was never really interested in having a career. In fact, I remember when someone told me that my senior class voted me "most likely to succeed." A part of me laughed inside because I knew that if God's plans for me were the same as the desires that I felt so strongly stirring in my soul, I would be a stay at home mom, investing all of my time and energy in one focused area - the home. It is all I have ever wanted, and now I am here. And, I guess technically that is success. It is in my book, anyway.

It hit me again this morning as I made pancakes, eggs, and bacon for my sweet men. As I cooked, I could hear the sweet music playing, the hum of the dishwasher, and the laughter of three little boys playing with their Daddy. Music to my ears, the sounds of home, a happy home. I could ask for nothing more. Like Carolyn Arrends says, "This is the stuff life is made of!" The everyday blessings!! As we held hands and prayed before we ate, a small part of me wanted to cry, tears of contentment. Thank You, sweet Jesus, for this little family, for laughter, and for memories in the making. May we be good stewards of these sweet blessings You have given!

And, so I guess my summertime post got a little side-tracked, but these are the things weighing most heavy on my heart right now. Here we are in the midst of summer, and hey, though the view from my kitchen window has changed dramatically, I can't complain, it isn't such a bad view, after all. . .



8 comments:

Kelly said...

Erin~

This is quite possibly the sweetest post I have read. When you wrote about being the mom and the wife of this family I teared up. Isn't it overwhelming, sometimes, to think of all we are blessed with as the mothers of our families? You are indeed successful, in the greatest task God offers- the gift of loving and nurturing Hi children. Blessings~ and enjoy the new view. I'm betting it will grow on you!

picturesofhisgrace said...

Welcome Home! Hope you had a great trip. The new view is beautiful! Hope you guys have a great summer!

Jenny said...

You bless my heart every time I read your blog. You inspire me. I love how you see the beauty and blessing in the daily things of being a mom/wife. Thanks for sharing!

I love your new view. I bet the pool will be a place where many happy family memories are made. (Awesome to have an automatic cover too. That will be very helpful.)

Elizabeth said...

So few people are truly committed to their home and their family the way you are. I admire it so much and am so thankful that I have the opportunity to be at home with my children as they grow up. I strive everyday to enjoy it the way you do.

Deidre said...

Sweet, sweet post. Yes, you are a Mom - the BEST Mom. I know I've told you this before, but your boys are so blessed to have you. You inspire me to do slow down and do a better job!

Christi said...

What a truly sweet post. We are blessed, indeed.

Sunshine said...

Welcome back - Happy Summer and what a sweet, sweet post about being a Mommy! Sunshine

Sarah said...

Sweet friend, this post made me teary! Your boys are so blessed to have you as their mama--someday they're going to realize what Jen and I discovered early on at UU, that you are one of the most precious women on earth. I sure do miss you.

I am looking forward to that day in our own country home, when all is relatively settled, and I can make some real food! I think Chris might go on strike if I don't cook something soon :)

And I got your call, but my cell phone got dropped in coffee, and I can't access my addressbook on it, so I can't call you back! If you'll email me at my blog email (inthemidstofit(at)gmail(dot)com.) I'll get your info on paper, and give you our new numbers!

Love you, sweet friend!!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved